• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Tenchi Muyo! Series Announced to Promote Tourism

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:11 pm Reply with quote
So this is what Kajishima was cryptically talking about in his latest doujinshi. Certainly not what people were expecting, but I'll check it out as long as it stars the original cast.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
The Tenchi setting is just gorgeous, I'd love to take a trip there. The scenery is one of the best parts of the series.

I wonder what will be in these shorts. Hopefully Kiyone will show up. Razz (Pray for US release)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
While there are people that think that Urusei Yatsura was the earliest harem anime/manga, Ah! Megami-Sama also pioneered the harem manga and Techi Muyo! pioneered the harem anime though Love Hina might be the founder of a lot of the reused harem anime/manga tropes.
OncelostLu

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of the original three series, Muyo, Universe, and Tokyo. I hope this series at least reuses the original cast, as the other spin offs were a let down to me.
blindworm

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
and still no word on war on geminar season 2
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While there are people that think that Urusei Yatsura was the earliest harem anime/manga, Ah! Megami-Sama also pioneered the harem manga and Techi Muyo! pioneered the harem anime though Love Hina might be the founder of a lot of the reused harem anime/manga tropes.

UY pioneered the word "harem", but an actual harem existed nowhere but in the protagonist's mind. Wink
Tenchi would be the first, but only because it was parodying a classic Japanese love-triangle tragedy.

And I don't care what excuse they're using to sell tourism and Lucky Star-style shrine visits (what, was Tenchi in Tokyo for tourism too?)--Unless they're planning to go the whole Slayers Revolution on it and bring back original writers and directors, the Tenchi franchise has been clinically dead and reanimated under the franchise copyright ever since the third movie ended the real series. And that goes more for the third Muyo series than Galaxy Police.
But at "5 minute episodes", these sound more like commercials than canon.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
The Tenchi setting is just gorgeous, I'd love to take a trip there. The scenery is one of the best parts of the series.

I wonder what will be in these shorts. Hopefully Kiyone will show up. Razz (Pray for US release)

I agree, and me too. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I knew that a new series for tench muyo has been on the works for quite awhile now but i did not to expect to be like this

over 50 episodes each 5 min long, i wonder if this will be any sort of real storyline or each one and indipendant series featuring a different tenchi characther or something like that

but either way im glad it happened tenchi muyo was the first real true series i watched that made me realize teh anime world back when it was airing in toonami so always happy when more comes out.
Ifrit30

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Great, new Tenchi Muyo Stuff Cool
although I'm not too fond of the 5 min episodes, but hopefully they'll make a proper anime with 25 min after this series.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I have heard crazier ideas to promote tourism, so this one isnt' too bad.
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
My only hope is it's not a spin off
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to this!

It's been awhile since I've seen Tenchi..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series is slated to run for 50 five-minute episodes on Tokyo MX starting in October.

I'd prefer five 50 minute episodes
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
blindworm wrote:
and still no word on war on geminar season 2

As far as I know, Kajishima continued the story in a novel series, which is probably how it's staying.

Holy Cow! Like everyone else, not exactly the new Tenchi series I was expecting, but as a fan I hope to see it (future streaming plans, Funimation?) and I'll likely love it anyhow! Tenchi Muyo had always managed to make its settings and locations as much a character as the assembly cast, not to mention they always looked beautiful, so I'm curious to see what they have planned for depicting this city. More than that, just more Tenchi!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
"New Tenchi Muyo! series announced" yes! "... to promote tourism." Yes, ok.

50 episodes that are five minutes each, location driven footage with the slightest hint of character. Let's be honest, this is a job for Girls und Panzer rather than the focused gang of kooky aliens we know and love.

And for the love of Kuroda, no Kiyone and the third movie was an ending to the Tenchi Universe series so mind your canon; If it's short, keep it simple and sweet.

Wait, that would exclude Mihoshi and Washu. OK, keep it quirky and ribald.

This could be a "win-win" if it builds interest for a new real series while being a paid PSA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5