• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm not liking the design of the girls that much (too mature for teens!)...but the guys definitely look nice... Wink

Rolling Eyes Seriously ? Have you even watched the ORIGINAL SAILOR MOON ? I know nostalgia can warp perceptions but the original sailor senshi never even looked like teenagers. These girls always had the body of sexy adult women.

Quote:

The elegant drawings are pretty cool too. The whole atmosphere is a vast improvement from the old series; it does feel a lot like the manga.

Yeah this remake is spot on. I only wish they would animate the third season, Sailor S the best one of the 5.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
When I was younger, I knew a lot about Sailor Moon, but I never really watched a lot of it, so really this will be my first "true" foray into the series. I liked this first episode, Luna is really cute here, and I like the idea of a magical girl actually having to be told what to do in order to use her powers, rather than knowing instinctively from the start. That CG transformation sequence though...I mean, it didn't look bad, I just don't really see the point in not doing it with regular animation?

And some of those injuries Usagi sustained looked really painful! When she fell down the stairs at the beginning, I couldn't help but recall slipping down the front steps of my house when they're all icy in the winter. Ouch...
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
Ehh man the performance of that voice actor for Usagi is super energetic , but the art looks very stiff and inexpressive.Because of that the first episode was weirdly tonally dissonant , if the art was the one from original Sailor Moon I think that result would have been a lot better.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Never seen sailor moon before. I knew of it for a long time though. Actually, I think it was one of the first anime I knew about: kid me was always transfixed by the VHS covers of it in the local video store. I guess that's one of the many portents to my interest in anime and animation later in life.

I know something about it in passing and have seen clips of it before (the orignal's OPs are REALLY cool looking!), but this is the first time I'm sitting down and watching it for real.

I was not annoyed by her voice like many were (though I can see why people don't like that). I was annoyed at the CG transformation sequence like many were. Compared to those of the original series, I found the OP to be not as visually impressive, save that one high energy sequence (which was great!).

An aside: what's her hair made of? gold wire? The way it moves in a lot of cuts makes it look so stiff!

So, the story... ok. It's a work intended for children, and it feels a little like it. Even so, it still seems engaging and interesting enough. I'm still in.

Oh, her mom threw her out of the house for getting a bad grade? That's kind of ridiculous Rolling Eyes

And yeah I agree with above posters. She's supposed to be 14? She looks like she's 20.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
I only watched a little of Sailor Moon growing up. I particularly remember marathoning the entire Circus arc and some of the movies, but that's it.

Usagi has always been somewhere near the top of my "Most annoying protagonists ever" list, although I'm surprised Mitsuishi is able to still give her the exact same (ear crushing) voice as back then. Especially with the "Moon Prism Power Make Up!!!" Scarily spot-on.

Overall enjoyed the episode, although I can't wait for all the senshis to gather so I won't have to put up with Usagi being annoying for 20 minutes straight. Also, Mamoru/Darien was already a heartthrob back in the day, but they've made him into quite a fine specimen here. I'm pleased. And the straight-to-the-face girl power opening lyrics? Yes, please

What I'm definitely not pleased about is that it'll take almost the entire summer season to actually get all the senshis together, if we follow the "one-episode-each" pattern. That and the horrible CGI transformation. There are many ways of keeping the animation to date with the modern times, and crappy CGI is definitely not the best of them
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:43 am Reply with quote
So just for the hell of it, I didn't see Sailor Moon back in the day either. So, I went over to hulu and decided to watch ep 1 of both, because why not? I watched Crystal first, then the old show.

Overall, I'm still not sold on Sailor Moon as a franchise, I doubt that will change easily with zero nostalgia, but if I were to pick one to continue, it would definitely be the older one. I'm sure part of it is that I am biased towards older anime (I typically like them more), but there were several things that made me prefer the older one.
1) Usagi looks like she's 14 in the older one. I thought she looked like she was 18 or so in the newer one. She also acts more like she's 14 in the older one, I found the way her lines were delivered in the older one pleased me more, made me believe her age easier. I just think the older one had more personality (now if that personality displeases me is another thing entirely)
2) I felt like ep 1 of Crystal dragged on forever, I just think the older one was paced faster. Probably a personal preference on my part for the pacing of older series. It's weird, they pretty much covered the exact same things.
3) The older show was way more expressive. Characters weren't afraid to go off model to show greater expression. Just compare the "Sailor V Kick!" door scenes, I found the older one much better. The new series seems too afraid to go off-model for anything and I think it hurts it.
4) That new CGI transformation is a huge turn-off for me. I know I'm not the only one.

Still, I'm not going to continue either one, I recall trying to read volume 1 of the manga and not even being able to get through that, nothing makes me think the anime would be any easier for me personally. But I can see why people like the older show, it's expressive, fast paced, and pretty fun if you're into that, I just personally can't get into it.

Ugh, I expect to see soooo many Sailor Moon cosplays at Otakon this year. Sure, they're there every year, but I expect it to just explode this year. I'm sure I'll be sick of Sailor Moon cosplays by mid-august (as will a lot of people).
Ranma824

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
Much like some other opinions I've seen on here, the CG transformation sequence was definitely jarring for me. Especially since 1) The show is trying to lay a foundation of this art style and then BAM! CG. And 2) The OP was very minimalistic with its CG use. (which, by the way, was a great opening).

I'm usually not one of those "any CG in anime is fail" types of fans, but the scene makes me wonder if they are even going to use it every episode. (I'm actually expecting them to NOT have a transformation scene every episode)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Rolling Eyes Seriously ? Have you even watched the ORIGINAL SAILOR MOON ? I know nostalgia can warp perceptions but the original sailor senshi never even looked like teenagers. These girls always had the body of sexy adult women.

Bodies, yeah, but they still had 'baby' faces. I was really just talking about Crystal's faces looking too mature.

Quote:
Oh, her mom threw her out of the house for getting a bad grade? That's kind of ridiculous

Sounds like my mom.... Rolling Eyes
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
These girls always had the body of sexy adult women.

Excuse me but could someone fill me in on what you guys are talking about? Whatever other merits these character designs have they are about as sexy as a half-melted popsicle wrapped in bleached lace and taffeta.

Sexy? You guys sure got some active imagination going on in yo head.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure about the character design. Usagi sounds like she is in her 40s. Is Usagi always this annoying, stupid, and lazy? she does fit to be a magical girl. I think i'm out.
Domr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
BG info: Watched a little bit of Sailor Moon English Dub when it aired on Cartoon Network but don't remember much.

After watching Crystal I decided to watch the original first episode and see how the two compare. Compared to what I was expecting, I am surprised.

I felt the pacing was much better, Like in the luna bed room scene where usagi learns to transform and it sleeping on the bed, pretending it sin't real, whereas in the original 90s it felt rushed. The suspense and tension build-up through the foreshadowing of the past life was really nice. I felt like the original kinda just spilled everything out, like how it's revealed before the monster starts absorbing energy that that will fuel the evil queen. Crystal doesn't feel dumb-downed in that regard. All-in-all I enjoyed it and I'll continue watching the series.

And just for giggles I decided to watch the English dub first episode. The opening music and transform music was really good iMO, in that 90s/early 90s nostalgia way, but besides that it had all the problems of the original Japanese version and then some. I hated the introduction because it gave away too many spoilers and I wish I could go back and forget I watched it.

P.S. To the people who think Usagi is annoying, I am tired of having overly serious characters in every anime.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Domr wrote:
P.S. To the people who think Usagi is annoying, I am tired of having overly serious characters in every anime.

There is also something to be said for having a character in need of improvement.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Sexy? You guys sure got some active imagination going on in yo head.

Eh, most people consider curvy figures with long legs to be sexy last time I checked.

Quote:
Is Usagi always this annoying, stupid, and lazy?

No...and I don't think of her as any of those things in the first place.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
amazing how a mask and a tiara will completely baffle people. thought this was the coolest thing ever when I was 8. Not so much now, but I liked it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Quote:
Is Usagi always this annoying, stupid, and lazy?

No...and I don't think of her as any of those things in the first place.

in this ep, she is lazy and stupid. how do you get 30% in exam. does she even try? And she always tried to come up a way not go to school. Her actions feel like your average moe girls in a moe anime. Kind of like Yui from K-on, the fall, the failing grade, the laziness, the only thing that's missing is cake.

I don't even know why i used like Sailor moon year's ago anymore. I think they made a mistake to remake Sailor Moon.

Sakura, Amu, Nanoha, Madoka, ect are cooler magical girls.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 18