• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco EU Manager: May Consider Localizing Digimon Cybersleuth Based on Petition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
I'm not real fond of calling anything that is used to help fans acquire more anime and video games a petition. That word should be restricted to politics only Rolling Eyes
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure there's been more petitions on the internet for mundane crap than there have been petitions in our actual legal system.

If this does actually work, I reckon it'd still be digital only and censored just to rub salt in the wound.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's been more petitions on the internet for mundane crap than there have been petitions in our actual legal system.

If this does actually work, I reckon it'd still be digital only and censored just to rub salt in the wound.

It's a digimon game, how much could there possibly be to censor?

That being said, 50k is quite a huge number and I don't think it'll ever happen if they're requiring a petition before they consider it. Just all the more reason to hate Bamco.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Since it's Bandai Namco Europe I'm more inclined to believe it since they've actually been very good since they went there seperate ways from Atari.
GekiRed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:

It's a digimon game, how much could there possibly be to censor?

That being said, 50k is quite a huge number and I don't think it'll ever happen if they're requiring a petition before they consider it. Just all the more reason to hate Bamco.

Why so much bloody negativity, dude? Bamco Europe have been pretty damn awesome ever since they decided to end their distribution partnership, especially as they now attend all kinds of events in Europe to promote their games such as London MCM Comic Con and Japan Expo in Paris as well as have signings featuring the likes of Hideo Baba; the producer of the Tales games and Ryo Mito; the producer of the PS3 Saint Seiya games.

If Bamco Europe say they're going to seriously going to consider releasing the Vita Digimon game in Europe, then I'm going to believe them, especially if there's a possibility that it could get a physical release in Europe like the new Gundam Dynasty Warriors game is getting unlike the North American one which is digital-only.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
Why so much negativity? Maybe because Bamco has a terrible track record with localizations? Its been getting slightly better in the past years but they still have a long way to go.
Aster Selene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Considering that the Digimon franchise hasn't had a localized game for this long, I would say probably even only a download version would be a huge step. (There is a high chance of censorship, but it mainly applies to certain character designs, which probably would have been censored regardless of the situation.)

To get 50k on that petition, however...is an entirely different matter.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
Why would a game that's intentionally aimed at older youth audiences on a platform that isn't known to be owned by children be censored? Yeah, Devil Survivor guy likes his weird looking cleavage but I don't think there's anything in here that would go beyond a T rating.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
They wouldn't aim for T rating, though. Digimon has always been aimed for children in America. They would push for an E for Everyone rating like all the other games and the current dub for Xros Wars so they can market it for 3 year olds and their mothers to buy. And they wouldn't allow designs like this in an E for Everyone game like Japan does for CERO A

http://i.imgur.com/SfCzon0.jpg

It also depends what themes are present in Cybersleuth. If it'll be a murder mystery kind of game then that could cause problems. It's what made games aimed at kids in Japan get an M rating in America, like the Persona series which America found problematic with religious demons and murders. Then there's the more common localization of names and places to be American. There's quite a lot that can be censored in a Digimon game for the person who asked that question
razisgosu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
Well if its censored count those 50k out. Censoring this sounds very silly.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
Namco hasn't really censored any of it's recent releases. They've had no problem releasing thier other anime games(based on series for children) getting a teen rating. So I'm not sure where this "they'll censor it" is coming from.Especially now that Namco seems open to it's more niche audiences. If it is a digital only title, it's not like Namco is going to be delusional to who's going to actually be buying it.

Also

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lTr-bmR6gIg/TZbD-hRTYnI/AAAAAAAAAEc/tLWBympflVU/s1600/digimon_world_1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 am Reply with quote
Namco and Tecmo-Koei has definitely been favoring the EU market with physical releases, is the problem. In this case, NA gets the DD leftovers with titles.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:33 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
They wouldn't aim for T rating, though. Digimon has always been aimed for children in America. They would push for an E for Everyone rating like all the other games and the current dub for Xros Wars so they can market it for 3 year olds and their mothers to buy. And they wouldn't allow designs like this in an E for Everyone game like Japan does for CERO A

http://i.imgur.com/SfCzon0.jpg

It also depends what themes are present in Cybersleuth. If it'll be a murder mystery kind of game then that could cause problems. It's what made games aimed at kids in Japan get an M rating in America, like the Persona series which America found problematic with religious demons and murders. Then there's the more common localization of names and places to be American. There's quite a lot that can be censored in a Digimon game for the person who asked that question

Cough, cough, Infamous, CERO Z. Why is one form of social conservatism bad, but another is good?
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Namco hasn't really censored any of it's recent releases. They've had no problem releasing thier other anime games(based on series for children) getting a teen rating. So I'm not sure where this "they'll censor it" is coming from.Especially now that Namco seems open to it's more niche audiences. If it is a digital only title, it's not like Namco is going to be delusional to who's going to actually be buying it.

The only other anime games they have released in the west based on children's anime are Naruto and One Piece games, and both of those are aimed at adults in the states. One Piece and Naruto air on Adult Swim and have uncut dubs available. Digimon Xros Wars is airing on Nickelodoen and has no uncut dub available. It's pretty clear whoever is in charge of Digimon in the west is laser focused on the 2 - 12 audience. While the first Digimon World may have been rated T, the majority of the franchise has been E for Everyone. They're not going to treat this like a Naruto or One Piece game.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
gloverrandal wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:

The only other anime games they have released in the west based on children's anime are Naruto and One Piece games, and both of those are aimed at adults in the states. One Piece and Naruto air on Adult Swim and have uncut dubs available. Digimon Xros Wars is airing on Nickelodoen and has no uncut dub available. It's pretty clear whoever is in charge of Digimon in the west is laser focused on the 2 - 12 audience. While the first Digimon World may have been rated T, the majority of the franchise has been E for Everyone. They're not going to treat this like a Naruto or One Piece game.
Bandai makes toys for Naruto and DragonBall Z. They are for kids. Naruto may air on Adult Swim, but not too long ago it aired on Disney and that didn't stop them from putting teen rated games. DragonBall has aired on kids programming blocks and that is still it's main audience. Again, they had no problem putting out teen rated games for series that probably sell to all ages.

Bandai also does not actually handle any of those properties. Just like they don't handle Digimon Xros. That's Saban so of course there's no un-cut version. They aren't an anime company.

But also apparently they had no problem putting out a teen rated Digimon games on the PS1.

If they bother releasing a digital only version do you really think they are going to censor anything? Hell, it's doubtful they would even bother dubing it.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2