• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wizards of the Coast to Cancel Kaijudo TCG

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
The sad truth is, there was too much competition that simply outdid Kaijudo in every way.

It's not a shock to me that the TCG has been canceled, especially since the respective show got canceled earlier, confirmed by one of the voice actors.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, this doesn't surprise me. There didn't even seem enough people interested in this new re-launch of Duel Masters. This could have been a successful franchise if all the duel masters media has been released outside of Japan.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"While Kaijudo’s retailer and player community continued to grow, our product offerings didn’t meet the expectations of the broader fan base to engage further with the brand,"

I assume this means their statemented a year ago when they said Kaijudo wasn't about competitive play or tournament when they got flak for saying they didn't want to do organized play originally.

I'm not too surprised to be honest. It seemed like an iffy way to do things from the start. As bad as people blame Konami for handling the YGO TCG in America it was at least the same game as the Japanese version, but Kaijudo was an American exclusive version of Duel Masters. That already limited it's market when Japan, a major force in the TCG world, wouldn't get it.

The show tie in being cancelled is to be expected. Most cartoons in America run for 26-52 episodes and then get cancelled. Unlike Japan, outside rare exceptions like Simpsons and they can't run a show for hundreds and hundreds of episodes like the Yu-Gi-Oh anime can. So when the cartoon ends what do they do with the product after that? Continue it I suppose, but without the show to help advertise it it would probably experience a drop.

-Stuart Smith
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what will happen to that lawsuit or whatever happened. The one with the game called "Kaiju", a common word for big Japanese monsters, got a notice because "Kaiju" also happened to be in "Kaijudo" :/
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I miss it when TCGs were actually pretty popular in the states. I remember when Pokemon cards, Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, Dragon Ball Z cards, and Magic the Gathering cards were traded on the school bus and at recess in Elementary/Middle school (oh the late 90s/early 2000s...). I remember the Pokemon cards were so popular, I actually associated the franchise with them more than anything else. Even the Naruto cards were BRIEFLY kinda popular when the show was pretty mainstream. They all died up though, and it was just a fad, but they seemed to go along well with anime at the time. I've always been hoping for a comeback, and Wal-Marts and Targets DO still have small TCG aisles near check-out lines, and I still see them at comic book shops, but it's just not the same.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I miss it when TCGs were actually pretty popular in the states. I remember when Pokemon cards, Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, Dragon Ball Z cards, and Magic the Gathering cards were traded on the school bus and at recess in Elementary/Middle school (oh the late 90s/early 2000s...).

What about Digimon cards? I know I had a deck full of them, but I didn't know anyone else growing up that also had those cards. Also, although the card game and the anime came and went, I really liked the Zatch Bell cards that came with the mini spell books.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I know about the Digimon cards, and they may have been popular with the kids I knew. However when I was 5-6 years old, I got Pokemon and Digimon mixed up, and thought they were related in some way. Razz I do remember hearing "Digimon" a lot, and knew kids that watched the TV show.

I also know there were TCGs for Zatch Bell, Dragon Ball GT, Yu Yu Hakusho, Case Closed, and Bleach, but I don't think any of them really caught on. There were also Neopets, which my cousins won a contest to design their own and got a tour of it's studio. Razz
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I miss it when TCGs were actually pretty popular in the states. I remember when Pokemon cards, Yu-Gi-Oh! cards, Dragon Ball Z cards, and Magic the Gathering cards were traded on the school bus and at recess in Elementary/Middle school (oh the late 90s/early 2000s...). I remember the Pokemon cards were so popular, I actually associated the franchise with them more than anything else. Even the Naruto cards were BRIEFLY kinda popular when the show was pretty mainstream. They all died up though, and it was just a fad, but they seemed to go along well with anime at the time. I've always been hoping for a comeback, and Wal-Marts and Targets DO still have small TCG aisles near check-out lines, and I still see them at comic book shops, but it's just not the same.

I know what you mean. Japan is a goldmine for card games. They can have over a dozen currently going in Japan and thrive just fine. Here in America it seems like only a few can thrive since they compete over the same niche market. While both Duel Masters and Battle Spirits are huge in Japan, they were dropped quickly in America. I blame most of Battle Spirits's failure on them not bringing over the anime to help promote it since I did not even know it came out here until a year after it stopped. I am glad to see Vanguard doing well enough, though. Bushiroad at least got the anime on YouTube to help promote it.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I'm not too surprised to be honest. It seemed like an iffy way to do things from the start. As bad as people blame Konami for handling the YGO TCG in America it was at least the same game as the Japanese version, but Kaijudo was an American exclusive version of Duel Masters. That already limited it's market when Japan, a major force in the TCG world, wouldn't get it.

What could Wizards have done? Start from where the left off back in 2006 and be years behind the Japanese game? What about the anime that all looks quite aged?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:
The sad truth is, there was too much competition that simply outdid Kaijudo in every way.

It's not a shock to me that the TCG has been canceled, especially since the respective show got canceled earlier, confirmed by one of the voice actors.

cant be suprised. while i enjoyed the US TV version that hasbro did, in the end the franchise is just a very lame yugioh clone and considering that it have to contend with that franchise and the pokemon TCG & the ever popular magic the gathering,i'm more surprised that it took this long for this experiment to end. especially after what hapened to the chaotic TCG. hopefully it will finally mean a deathbed to this franchise cause to be frank the only way i can see this making any comback is that corus ent decides to have its own TCG division and Nelvana licenses the rest of the series that haven't been released in the US which is slim to none considering that its the 2nd worst dub company in the history of north america.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
What could Wizards have done? Start from where the left off back in 2006 and be years behind the Japanese game? What about the anime that all looks quite aged?

YGO and Vanguard found ways. YGO fused multiple Japanese sets together so every American booster set was 2 or 3 Japanese sets. Vanguard did an alternating release to catch up with Japan's cardpool, they'd release the first set, then the set before the current one in Japan, then go back to the second, then the second set before the current one, and so on.

WOTC could have found a way probably, but something tells me Kaijudo was a just a short term project for money. Originally, they had no plans for OP, which meant they only focused on the kids who saw the show and didn't care about anyone older. It also reused most of its art assets from Duel Masters so it was probably less expensive to produce. Just my guesses, though.

Though Duel Masters probably would have failed as well. America really is just a king of the hill kind of country for this kind of stuff. YGO for Japanese card games, Magic for American card games, everyone else gets screwed. Happens with anime and other stuff too. It's like once one thing becomes the first/standard everything else is called a rip off (even if its not or even came first in Japan) and bombs because the market only accepts 1 thing in pop culture.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Vanguard and Yu-Gi-Oh! weren't six years behind the Japanese game. Laughing

I do think they hoped Kaijudo would become a thing, though. It always sounded like Hasbro wanted the game to become a feeder for Magic. Kids would play Kaijudo because they saw the show. They'd get into card games and as they grew up they have a natural transition to Magic due to gameplay similarities. Duel Masters does seem to have helped Magic tremendously in Japan.

Last edited by Primus on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
i wouldnt say that. sure YGO's TCG is not as insanely popular as magic the gathering cause i am definitely not one of them, its still popular in North America nevertheless. the same with Pokemon's TCG game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

At my high school (I'm entering college literally tomorrow so this was recent) a few of my friends were part of this group that would OBSESSIVELY play TCG's every single morning before school and during lunch.

TCG's just followed the path of many other fads--they faded from the mainstream eye, but remained popular in the domain of nerds. A bunch of people still play games like Magic, it's just that the userbase is all nerdy teenagers and young adults.

I like TCG's but I never have anyone to play them because you need to have friends as obsessed as you are to actually have any fun with them. Sometimes I buy cards just to have them, though.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh! is more popular than Magic, actually.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-7000/best-selling-trading-card-game/

Duel Masters was made because Magic isn't popular in Japan. It's basically what people play instead of Magic in Japan, although there is a small Magic community there. Wizards has tried to expand it there, like creating series about it, both the in-universe and kids-playing-cards type, but they always end up going under.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1