• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, September 8-14

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
As expected, P4G was underestimated as hell, 12.7k first week. It seems its still a contender for one of the 10k+ sellers of 2014. MCA also still keep dropping, I wonder when it'll stabilize, because if it won't it'll end up with a 6k-6.5k average, which is still good.

Also nice to see Gochiusa v3 hit 10k, still a decent chance at a 10k average. So i'll be betting on spring show sales ranking with this,

-Love Live(no brainer)
-Haikyuu(another no brainer)
-JoJo P3
-Gochiusa
-Mahouka
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
I keep watching the MCA numbers and wondering if we'll get a release here, and in what form. The way they're releasing MCA as single episodes with a CD that has a new (non-Vocaloid) version of that episode's Kagerou Project song, it may be the case that for some buyers, the Blu-Ray episode is just an extra that comes with the CD single, instead of the other way around.

If we ever got MCA in the US, I'd want the music too, but reverse importation paranoia + Aniplex USA = uguuuu…
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I keep watching the MCA numbers and wondering if we'll get a release here, and in what form. The way they're releasing MCA as single episodes with a CD that has a new (non-Vocaloid) version of that episode's Kagerou Project song, it may be the case that for some buyers, the Blu-Ray episode is just an extra that comes with the CD single, instead of the other way around.

If we ever got MCA in the US, I'd want the music too, but reverse importation paranoia + Aniplex USA = uguuuu…

I'd probably have to say that if there's one company that could include the songs on their release it's Aniplex USA. No other R1 distributor would be able to clear the rights for something like this. Having that said it's still anyone's guess whether we'll get the songs or not.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I'd probably have to say that if there's one company that could include the songs on their release it's Aniplex USA. No other R1 distributor would be able to clear the rights for something like this. Having that said it's still anyone's guess whether we'll get the songs or not.

And that's why I brought up the point of reverse importation paranoia. If Aniplex USA gave us, say, a $100 box set with the the series on Blu-Ray and all the songs on a CD, fans here would scream about how expensive it was… while fans in Japan would want to reverse-import it, since it would be like 75% cheaper than buying all 12 singles (at CD Japan's price of 3200¥ times 12 eps).

I'd be surprised if this show gets a physical release here at all (although Aniplex USA did do Silver Spoon, so nothing's impossible), and I'd be absolutely shocked if we got the songs. Of course if we did, I'd preorder it that day.
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:24 am Reply with quote
I know the first half of stardust crusaders sucks balls and was only popular because stands were a completely new idea nobody has thought of back then, but these sales are weak..Like its barely enough to consider a part 4 adaptation granted. I am disapointed JoJo Fandom. When I see all those insane amounts of people going to JoJo conventions and events and then araki gets turned down by his audience.

I really hope the egypt arc sales are twice as high, which is unlikely if we consider the fact that nobody wants an incomplete collection of blurays, but is still not completely unthinkable because the egypt arc...had iggy. And Dio does shit. And its actually good action not the goofy stands from the journey arc.

I dunno I just love jojo I want all of it animated no matter what..part 7 as anime would be ...<3
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
patrick.enfield.9 wrote:
I know the first half of stardust crusaders sucks balls and was only popular because stands were a completely new idea nobody has thought of back then, but these sales are weak..Like its barely enough to consider a part 4 adaptation granted. I am disapointed JoJo Fandom. When I see all those insane amounts of people going to JoJo conventions and events and then araki gets turned down by his audience.

Its selling over 13k, thats far from weak. I don't think you fully understand anime sales, because a 10k+ average is among the top 10-15% sellers of all-time
patrick.enfield.9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
patrick.enfield.9 wrote:

Its selling over 13k, thats far from weak. I don't think you fully understand anime sales, because a 10k+ average is among the top 10-15% sellers of all-time

except this is the most popular arc in jojo which makes these sales seem super weak. I may not understand all the details considering the sales but the animationstudio has to take into consideration that part 4 will sell less than part 3which hopefully will still be enough for that sequel.

Yes 10-13 k is a decent amount of sold copies however this is not only jojo but also the part ''everyone loves'' .
I worry more about stuff past part 4 being animated rather than part 4 itself, hopefully you understand me a little better now.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
patrick.enfield.9 wrote:

except this is the most popular arc in jojo which makes these sales seem super weak. I may not understand all the details considering the sales but the animationstudio has to take into consideration that part 4 will sell less than part 3which hopefully will still be enough for that sequel.

Yes 10-13 k is a decent amount of sold copies however this is not only jojo but also the part ''everyone loves'' .
I worry more about stuff past part 4 being animated rather than part 4 itself, hopefully you understand me a little better now.

Not just decent, its amazing. Its by far enough for them to consider animating part 4. Popularity does not always translate into sales, the production committee knows this(the studio is just a subcontractor). They have other sources of income, merch sales, manga sales etc.. etc..

A lot of really popular series less worse than JoJo, be it Mahouka, Silver spoon, MCA, a bunch long running shows(Ace no Diamond, space brothers etc..) etc..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1