• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Jerkwatch

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
fuzzytipsy wrote:
818941 wrote:
fuzzytipsy wrote:
I've definitely come across a number of cases where the enjoyment is just physical, and the victim does not enjoy it mentally.

Titles please? I've seen this thrown so often, unjustly so, that I've become wary of it.

A couple of scenes in the Finder series, such as the first sex scene, which involves an aphrodisiac, and Attacked on a Tiger's Whim are the two titles I can come up with off the top of my head.

I haven't read the latter and I have stopped reading Viewfinder long ago, but if you're talking about Akihito and Asami, it falls into the case others were talking about earlier, where tone and outcome determine the scene. The tone is obviously erotic and given how okay Akihito was after and how he pursued a relationship with Asami it is very easy to argue what happened was also enjoyed and accepted at a mental level, aphrodisiac or not. At least that's the most logical reading to me. To anyone wanting to interject, please do not bring up syndromes which require specific and extreme conditions to trigger and have no place here.

Last edited by 818941 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I just realized something: with the last Saturday morning cartoon block (Vortexx) dried up, there really is no anime on free-to-air TV.

Even Australia has it better off then us; ABC3 is currently repeating Madoka Magica and SBS2 is showing Attack on Titan. A few states also have Nichijou and Steins;Gate late nights as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:

Also, if there is anyone that has been to a ton of conventions, I would be curious to know which ones usually have the crowd with the most respectful, interesting questions (and which ones are worse for it).

From my experience It has nothing to do with the convention but the guest, certain guests attract more of a certain kind of fan.

And this isn't a universal rule but I've found you are more likely to get the weird questions in voice actor/Seiyuu panels than creative (director, animator panels)

Not to knock the VA/Seiyuu panels as I am a fan but Sometimes my eyes do roll at some of the questions at these panels but then since I am too shy to even ask a question I probably have no room to judge. I mean a lot of people are just a bit star struck.
Suena

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
"Western countries generally respect that rape is a horrifying, potentially life-destroying trauma for the victim. Add that to American puritanical nature when it comes to anything sexual, and you basically have a culture where it's nearly impossible to have fictionalized rape at all."

Don't agree with this at all, I think rape in fiction is an issue in Western fiction too. Just read Outlander which is currently a new hit series on STARZ.

I agree that rape is waaaay more prevalent in US media than the article indicates. True, there's not as much for media aimed at teens. But it still seems to be a favorite motivator for female characters (she was raped, and is either damaged or wants to take revenge - his girlfriend was raped and murdered, so he's getting revenge). I remember one time overhearing someone tell the plot of a show they were watching, and I thought it was this one show because it sounded exactly the same, but it was something else, and I was struck by how often that trope is used.

As for shoujo manga, yes, it's extremely prevalent. There's sometimes a fuzzy distinction between the "hard rape" and the type that's meant to appeal to the "I want to be wanted" thing a lot of girls and women have. They're both clearly rape in real life, of course. Sadly, I'm sure a lot of young readers may not be learning this.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Not to knock the VA/Seiyuu panels as I am a fan but Sometimes my eyes do roll at some of the questions at these panels but then since I am too shy to even ask a question I probably have no room to judge. I mean a lot of people are just a bit star struck.

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.' -- Abraham Lincoln
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Moefan199 wrote:
It's nice to hear what is up with Free. Was really surprised to hear Crunchyroll had home video rights to some of their streaming shows.
It would be nice if Funi and Crunchyroll worked together to release both seasons but I would agree with Justin I don't think that is happening.

Loved this weeks answerman keep up the good work Justin.

Yeah, I had been wondering about that for a while since I had no clue. It's easy to guess what happened with something like Queen's Blade: Rebellion since Media Blasters obviously has money issues, but I had no clue about Free.

The first question and answer was rather interesting. Honestly, the point where I draw my own line is when rape is played for arousal purposes, which has made it harder to find decent hentai lately. I'd say something like Berserk uses it much more appropriately since it is treated as the horrifying act that it is, and it fits with a setting where war has been fairly constant for so long.
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
I give you credit for clearly maintaining the distinction between rape in the real world, and fictional representations of it - they are obviously not the same thing - the former is a crime that harms someone, the latter is merely fiction. However, you are taking issue with how in certain cases, it is not being depicted solely as a horrible crime, but as something that some viewers might enjoy. Many other people have also stated that they are offended by that manner of depiction, and they have every right to be offended. No one can tell people how they should feel about the fictional content they are watching. Feelings are subjective.

Here is where we come to what I see as the weak point in your argument. Obviously, even though many people may find it offensive, no real person is actually suffering in a fictional representation of rape, regardless of how it is presented to the viewer. As I mentioned above, you seem to be at a quandary here on how to reconcile your non-advocacy of censorship with content that you find to be offensive in its presentation.

The answer that you propose, that the viewers viewers should not watch this content because they will be in some way harmed if they dare to enjoy this manner of presentation is rather specious. To be fair, you do not come out and say, that if a person enjoys it, that person will turn into a rapist, instead you claim the result is a vaguer (and difficult to prove or disprove) deadening of that person's soul.

I do not know how many hundreds of extremely violent acts that I've seen in anime over the years, many which were presented in a way where the viewer was meant to identify with the person performing the violent act, or to think that the victim deserved it. Yet, after all that, not only have I never tried to imitate any of those acts, actual violence in the real world makes me cringe.

The scene in Cross Ange, was definitely meant by the creators to be shocking and controversial in the "there is no bad publicity" way, so it is not surprising that many people were offended by its content and presentation. However, as I have already stated, telling someone that they should be offended by the content of what they watch is objectively no different from telling someone that they should not be offended by it.

Beautiful post I wholeheartedly agree with!
According to Justin, you are “a good person with a decent nature” if you are either offended by fictional rape scenes or tolerate it to some level, but what about the third option: Fully enjoy such scenes which are obviously meant to titillate viewers. Like minamikaze, I don’t see why people enjoying this stuff are considered to be horrible people or have dead souls as a result. I think it’s okay for people to like depraved material since it’s just an enjoyment of a fantasy and it doesn’t deserve harsh condemnation from other folks.
Suzy J Webber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
The idea that Japan is especially rapey compared to the US is an odd contention to make. Have you read many modern fantasy or crime novels? They are full of women getting brutally raped to show how gritty the world is, or how evil the villain is, or how heroic the hero is when he rescues the victim. A Game of Thrones is the same BS as SAO.

It's okay when America does it.

That is seriously the attitude I get from a lot of people. You try to point out it on GoT they slap you with how many awards it's won and how critically acclaimed it is. You point to all the bargin bin romance novels and they hand wave those away. But if Cross Ange does it? Suddenly it's the most vile thing one reviewer has ever seen.

People are more concerned with stuff from another country they don't even live in, than the stuff that women go through in their own country. And I find that really disturbing. Maybe they try to emotionally disconnect themselves from it on purpose.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Literature has always been given a bye, when it comes to that. No matter the explicit detail or the ages of the subjects. Much as it seems unfair to anime, it would be worse if literature faced that same scrutiny.
Even non-anime movies can get away with more than anime. Like a certain scene in the Evil Dead series, and another one in the "Galaxy of Terror" movie.

As to the past of anime, well, Justin is right. Ninja Scroll anyone?

And why is that ? Maybe it's because deep down (even if they don't want to admit it) anime fans consider anime to be made for children hence it should be sanitised. A view that has become mainstream since the MOE revolution. Can't talk about sex or sexual fantasies. It's to be made taboo. Let's be clear, not all anime is made for 6-15 year olds. I mean people rage about Madoka Magica and yet it's a series that constantly harms the main character emotionally on an episode per episode basis. A character that is a 13 year old. How is that not perverse and deserving of censoring ? And yet it's considered a great anime. Just because you see no blood or gore doesn't make it necessarily right.
I'd say if you're so concerned about edgy anime, watch Pretty Cure and stop bitching. Going back to some nice adult, edgy, violent anime with adult characters is a good thing in my opinion. Enough with moe girls doing moe things.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Sylpher3 wrote:
minamikaze wrote:
I give you credit for clearly maintaining the distinction between rape in the real world, and fictional representations of it - they are obviously not the same thing - the former is a crime that harms someone, the latter is merely fiction. However, you are taking issue with how in certain cases, it is not being depicted solely as a horrible crime, but as something that some viewers might enjoy. Many other people have also stated that they are offended by that manner of depiction, and they have every right to be offended. No one can tell people how they should feel about the fictional content they are watching. Feelings are subjective.

Here is where we come to what I see as the weak point in your argument. Obviously, even though many people may find it offensive, no real person is actually suffering in a fictional representation of rape, regardless of how it is presented to the viewer. As I mentioned above, you seem to be at a quandary here on how to reconcile your non-advocacy of censorship with content that you find to be offensive in its presentation.

The answer that you propose, that the viewers viewers should not watch this content because they will be in some way harmed if they dare to enjoy this manner of presentation is rather specious. To be fair, you do not come out and say, that if a person enjoys it, that person will turn into a rapist, instead you claim the result is a vaguer (and difficult to prove or disprove) deadening of that person's soul.

I do not know how many hundreds of extremely violent acts that I've seen in anime over the years, many which were presented in a way where the viewer was meant to identify with the person performing the violent act, or to think that the victim deserved it. Yet, after all that, not only have I never tried to imitate any of those acts, actual violence in the real world makes me cringe.

The scene in Cross Ange, was definitely meant by the creators to be shocking and controversial in the "there is no bad publicity" way, so it is not surprising that many people were offended by its content and presentation. However, as I have already stated, telling someone that they should be offended by the content of what they watch is objectively no different from telling someone that they should not be offended by it.

Beautiful post I wholeheartedly agree with!
According to Justin, you are “a good person with a decent nature” if you are either offended by fictional rape scenes or tolerate it to some level, but what about the third option: Fully enjoy such scenes which are obviously meant to titillate viewers. Like minamikaze, I don’t see why people enjoying this stuff are considered to be horrible people or have dead souls as a result. I think it’s okay for people to like depraved material since it’s just an enjoyment of a fantasy and it doesn’t deserve harsh condemnation from other folks.

I agree with this, even when it comes to stuff I personally do not like, as long as you understand what's okay in a story but not in real life you're okay in my book.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
So we've established that rape can be split into "enjoyable rape" and "unenjoyable rape" (for the "victim"), as well as "loving rape" and "rape domination" (for the "aggressor"). The most accepting of these is the enjoyable rape and loving rape while depictions of unenjoyable rape and rape domination are pretty much the stuff that we, as a society, even sexually, discourage in our media. I think the latter is what Justin was saying was past the line, but there's a far deeper issue going on below the surface: the complexity of humanity.

For one, there are people who take what they learn from fiction and apply it to real life and those that don't. Of the former, you have people who can pick and choose more realistic portrayals of reality in fiction and learn that way, and others who pick and choose things that are closer to their own ideal. Of the latter, you have those whose ideals are construed and those whose ideals are not construed. In the first place, construed ideals are complex in themselves. This complexity leads to a basic disagreement in our portrayals of what should or shouldn't happen for society to be at its best quality. In this particular case:

Portrayals of unenjoyable rape by dominating rapists as titillation are being looked upon by many as only enjoyable to those who associate with the rapist, and not in a good way. However, it is possible and even likely that there are lots of people out there who subconsciously place idealistic enjoyment on the victim BECAUSE it's unenjoyable--the victim doesn't want it and makes clear displeasure, but deep down, the titillation for the viewer comes from a desire to be forced against your will in a way that you do not like. Thus, realistic or not, the desire to be raped is still present in this scenario and causes titillation in a way that doesn't automatically present direct sympathy with the rapist. Among those who think like this, there are those who can be influenced by it and think that, at least, some rape is like this, and others who think it cannot and that this is only a fictional quality brought about by internal desire. Among the former group are those who would dare take their thoughts and apply them to a real life situation and those who know better not to test the waters, regardless of their beliefs.

By discouraging these portrayals in fiction (censorship, deleting them from existence, avoiding them, changing them so they are portrayed more clearly), we hurt the ability for those who enjoy it without harm to others to feel comfortable with their own feelings on the subject. By encouraging or justifying these portrayals in fiction, we potentially cause some people to justify taking their feelings and beliefs to the next level. Both situations aren't good, but unless we disengage with our feelings on the subject and find a better, more thorough way to promote thought with all people on the subject, we won't likely be able to pull off any proper compromise--assuming a compromise is either possible or even the best result in the first place.

In the end, it's solely the responsibility of the individual to decide what to do with whatever experiences they have, fictional or realistic. And no matter what the producer of such fictional content does, people will always have a view based on their personal feelings. The most we can and should do is educate ourselves and each other about our own feelings and how they affect those around us when we turn them into action. Rape depiction in fiction is not the problem--it's the complexity of humanity that presents the difficulty in reaching a solution that will consider everyone's feelings on the matter.

[EDIT] This may or may not be a rant with actual value to it. At least, it makes sense to me. I don't know if anyone else will care for/understand/agree with my message...
For the most part, I'm just presenting the idea that we cannot really come to a proper conclusion on the matter, no matter what. D:

Last edited by Juno016 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Literature has always been given a bye, when it comes to that. No matter the explicit detail or the ages of the subjects. Much as it seems unfair to anime, it would be worse if literature faced that same scrutiny.
Even non-anime movies can get away with more than anime. Like a certain scene in the Evil Dead series, and another one in the "Galaxy of Terror" movie.

As to the past of anime, well, Justin is right. Ninja Scroll anyone?

And why is that ? Maybe it's because deep down (even if they don't want to admit it) anime fans consider anime to be made for children hence it should be sanitised. A view that has become mainstream since the MOE revolution. Can't talk about sex or sexual fantasies. It's to be made taboo. Let's be clear, not all anime is made for 6-15 year olds. I mean people rage about Madoka Magica and yet it's a series that constantly harms the main character emotionally on an episode per episode basis. A character that is a 13 year old. How is that not perverse and deserving of censoring ? And yet it's considered a great anime. Just because you see no blood or gore doesn't make it necessarily right.
I'd say if you're so concerned about edgy anime, watch Pretty Cure and stop bitching. Going back to some nice adult, edgy, violent anime with adult characters is a good thing in my opinion. Enough with moe girls doing moe things.

There's so much wrong in this post that it's not funny. Just because a 13 year old girl is getting harmed in an anime that has the violence done in a way that helps the story and series doesn't mean it needs to be censored. Plus moe sells, do you really think in this day and age an adult, dark, and edgy anime with adult looking characters will sell 6,7, 8, or even 10k+ copies? Also merchandise, there just isn't as much of a market for dark and edgy figures and such as for something that has moe appeal in Japan.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Heh, FYI Pretty Cure isn't all rainbows and unicorns as you might believe it to be (Heartcatch anyone?). Just goes to show how much you actually know of that series. Not really sure what you were arguing about until the end, but going back to the bygone years of violent and gory OVA's isn't something I want to relive, even if I did enjoy it for some admittedly perverse reason. Not like we're short of both ends of the spectrum like you imply.

I don't have anything substantial to add on the subject of rape, but I'm clearly in line with what 818941 and a few others' opinions on it. I do agree that Justin could stand to be a little less in the moral upper ground and pushing his own values in the article. It hurts your credibility measure.

As for cringey Q&A con sessions, oh boy, can't say I didn't see it coming when Hirano Aya came to Otakon as a guest. One guy had to ask about the whole "sex scandal" thing to her and unsurprisingly everyone in the room felt really uncomfortable. Now, I'm not going to judge what one person wants to ask. Even questions about long forgotten hentai roles are fine on my book, but if it's something completely unrelated to their work like who you sleeping with who then you've crossed the line right there.

Rule of thumb, if your question reeks of skeevy tabloid, then don't bother lining up to speak.

@Hoppy
Playing devil's advocate here, but a lot of "non-moe" series actually break the numbers like Psycho-PASS, JoJo and Berserk. You're falling into the same trap as Taylor.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

@Hoppy
Playing devil's advocate here, but a lot of "non-moe" series actually break the numbers like Psycho-PASS, JoJo and Berserk. You're falling into the same trap as Taylor.

And that's obviously because the series you mentioned have the established fanbase by the authors who have as bigger following as Stephen King. No matter how crap it is, their new products will sell like hotcakes. No matter how it doesn't pander it will have no problem reaping the profits unlke the new series.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
Paiprince wrote:

@Hoppy

And that's obviously because the series you mentioned have the established fanbase by the authors who have as bigger following as Stephen King. No matter how crap it is, their new products will sell like hotcakes. No matter how it doesn't pander it will have no problem reaping the profits unlke the new series.

You could say the same for series like Yuru-Yuri, Love Live, or Nanoha. What you're saying isn't really the issue here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17