• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Nouveau Nova

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Also another note for PS Nova, it's very story heavy compared to PSO 2, keep that in mind if you import. I'm playing the game right now and despite the lack of infrastructure online, it's an amazing game. The character creation is awesome and the costume selection is very nice. As for the gameplay, it's noticeably better than PSO 2, but it can drop frames sometimes for some reason after a large Gigantes and some larger bosses fall (there are also smaller Gigantes and one Gigantes that is just 4-5 smaller ones in a formation with different weapons), but in the heat of battle, the frame rate is stable and smooth.

The ranger and buster classes are OP especially with the buster being able to use every weapon and many of the skills on the ranger are OP. The new pile weapon is actually quite effective as a ranged weapon but I found it to be sluggish in melee and there's a skill you can equip that lets you use it on other classes (making the ranger even more OP).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:01 pm Reply with quote
$30 for AA? The iOS version of the HD trilogy is $9.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As we wait for the inevitable turnaround of Phoenix Wright in the West.

Would've been a nice to use Turnabout instead but they mean the same thing basically.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
The Samus definitely isn't one of a kind. One of my local stores got one, too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
That Fester game's at least better than that Acclaim X-Men game. Ugh, that thing's terrible.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd be game for a new Phantasy Star game if it has a well-developed single player offline mode. The last new Phantasy Star game I played was Phantasy Star 0 on the DS which was graphically-impressive for the DS but the solo mode was kind of meh, reminding me very much of playing the offline mode of Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast until I got bored with it.

Phantasy Star Universe on PS2 had a decent offline story mode. I presume, from the description, Phantasy Star Nova takes more after Universe than the regular PSO.

-----------------------

My favourite original Playstation game is easily Star Ocean: The Second Story, in many ways still my favourite JRPG, for all of the customization and relationship-rigging options. I enjoyed the following two Star Ocean console games (Star Ocean: The Last Hope gets very little respect but I at least had a lot of fun with the combo system even if the story was mediocre), but, for story and characters and even comedy, the other games (excluding the first, which I haven't yet played) don't match SO2. I also enjoyed the fun minigames like the Iron Chef parody and the bunny racing.

Thousand Arms would be second, since I still love the dating sim elements, although, as a JRPG, it's nowhere near as deep as Star Ocean: The Second Story and I think I finished it in about 1/10th the time.

I'd say Xenogears might be my third but I haven't touched it or felt like going back to it in at least a decade. I think I had more patience for convoluted plots with some half-hour-or-so-long cutscenes (reading text at an average speed) when I was in my mid-20s than I do at 40.

Outside of JRPGs, a lot of my other favourite games on the Playstation were racing games, but they haven't aged very well graphically. The first two Gran Turismo games have aged relatively better than most other PSX games, but, anytime I try to revisit them, the draw distance is a major distraction. My favourite generation for racing games is the Dreamcast/PS2/Xbox era because of the far superior draw distance and the graphics are "real" enough for me (realistic, but not photorealistic).

I did enjoy all 5 Tomb Raider games on the console and they're still reasonably fun as long as I don't look too hard at the primitive face textures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I remember the Saturn version of the first Tomb Raider. Triangular boobs everyone. Eek.

Got Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax last week. Quite enjoy it. M2 handled the console port, i think, though it feels ver similar to Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late in terms of menus and features so Ecole Software and French-Bread probably lent a hand.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I play a lot of Melty Blood so Fighting Climax felt very familiar to me. The cross over banter is of course the main draw, and it's all voiced so I can understand most of it. Kirino being jealous of Mikoto's 2000 little sisters, and Tomoka freaking out because Kirito and Asuna already have a daughter are priceless moments.

I'll usually stick with Miyuki and Yukina.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I just have 2 things to say about Dai Gyakuten Saiban;

1. I wonder how they'll make THIS game seem like it's set in LA.

2. With the inclusion of Sherlock Holmes, Tumblr'll probably be all over this like jam on toast, if it isn't already.

Ciao.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
That's some pretty sweet Christmas loot. I hope it goes to someone who really deserves it. :)

PlayStation Popularity Contest: I'm not surprised at the choice of Arc the Lad. The first game may have been short but the second was chock full of content and the ending was one of the more daring endings to a JRPG: spoiler[Arc and Kukuru both die after you defeat the final boss]. A shame the Arc the Lad series got run into the ground after the third game with those...other iterations that had nothing to do with Arc or anything remotely related to him whatsoever.

Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax: Don't forget the obligatory Sega level entry: Sonic the Hedgehog's own Green Hill Zone. Anyway, it's nice to see Akira and Pai duking it out in yet another crossover, despite not being light novel characters. Those two are making some good spotlight time, though I doubt it means the creation of another Virtua Fighter. Good on Selvaria being in there too. Project X Zone must have done something to boost the popularity of those three.

Phantasy Star Nova: I'll honestly never understand why they went and took a great sci-fi JRPG series like Phantasy Star and turned it online, but meh, what can you do? If people like it, it's pointless to rag on it.

Speaking of Sonic and his recent announcements within media, I recall he did appear in Phantasy Star Online and Universe, right? And Leanne's in this too? Wow, didn't expect that to happen. Guess they still love End of Eternity over there (which is good since it was an entertaining JRPG as far as gameplay and difficulty was concerned, and hey, I again cite Project X Zone as Leanne and the guys appeared in that in all their aerial gun glory). The Valkyrie Profile and Star Ocean costumes are a nice touch I guess. It's probably all anyone will ever see of either series at this point anyway.

...Any news about that possible new Wild Arms everyone wants, Todd?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
About Fighter's Climax, I've been wondering what plot contrivance they can possibly be using to justify un-powered characters like Kirino and Taiga even being able to put a scratch on all-powerful girls like Mikoto Misaka or Shana.

If Mikoto didn't want to hurt Kirino, she wouldn't even have to fight her, she can just zap up something like an inpenetrable forcefield with her level 5 electromagnetic abilities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Zee-Bee is such an 80's Saturday morning action cartoon character's name.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax: Don't forget the obligatory Sega level entry: Sonic the Hedgehog's own Green Hill Zone.

I'm pretty sure all the stages are from Sega games.

Tenchi wrote:
About Fighter's Climax, I've been wondering what plot contrivance they can possibly be using to justify un-powered characters like Kirino and Taiga even being able to put a scratch on all-powerful girls like Mikoto Misaka or Shana.

They don't bother with something like that. They fight on equal footing just because.

There are two sets of story modes: one is Arcade, which is your bad guy pulling people from other dimensions thing, and the other is Dream Duel where your selected fighting fights 6 specific opponents. Before each match they have amusing dialogues with each other.
Blazingluke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
$30 for AA? The iOS version of the HD trilogy is $9.

The iOS version the "HD" trilogy seems to use mainly assets from the GBA games with little in the way of enhancements. With the amount of effort they've put into the new 3DS versions, I think it'll be totally worth picking up for people looking to experience the games again or for the first time!
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:04 am Reply with quote
I may import Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax for my collection. But I'm also keeping in mind that no one, and I mean no one, thought Aquapazza would get a domestic release for the same reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2