• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex, Key Visual Arts Announce New Project on December 22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
IceKirby wrote:
No way that silhouette is Rewrite. I would expect those images to use the character in their school uniform, and that's nowhere close to Rewrite's uniform. The only chance it would be if that was Chihaya's uniform, but her hairclips are nowhere to be seen.

And I for one am really glad Key is going away from KyoAni. They have been going downhill for a while on my list.
KyoAni has been a bit downhill but I blame that on the material and not the studio.

Definitely not a Rewrite character. I wonder why everyone has been overlooking the possibility it's a new character for Angel Beats? They've mentioned multiple times that the visual novel will have new story on it. A new Angel Beats anime with new story and characters would make the most sense.

That, or a new a completely unrelated new anime that is not based on anything similar to what they did with angel beats.

edit: I'm also very sad it's Aniplex. Aniplex just means it will cost 200 dollars for 13 episodes.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
I certainly enjoyed Angel Beats so I'm up for more be it a sequel or reboot. I'd prefer a new series focusing on new characters though. I'm definitely interested in the visual novel! Also I want a Rewrite anime as well, or a Kud Wafter anime or OVA at least. It's a shame Aniplex got whatever it is though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Angel Beats! probably needed to be longer, but I am happy with the way it ended up being. I would much rather see OVA's to supplement the material than a sequel or a reboot.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
If the VN is one of the announcements, maybe it will have an English release really soon. I know Sekai Project has a relationship with Key now, so maybe one of the reasons for all the delays was giving them time to translate it, so they could pull a simultaneous release or something?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Got a feeling its just going to be a movie
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
More drivel from Aniplex leeching off of popular names. Sadly I knew this was the future of anime going out of 2014. Something for another audience most likely....
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex AND KyoAni?!

The hype is genuinely and truthfully real Very Happy Laughing Shocked Very Happy

spoiler[That is if this is actually a new anime project... Hopefully it is so that I can then own the pretty AoA release!]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Apparently some people in this thread are denying the fact that Aniplex is a producer of anime. It is not as if someone else produces anime, and evil Aniplex decides to take ownership of it.

For better or worse Aniplex produces a lot of anime content these days (some is great like Madoka Magica and Kill la Kill and other is shit like Mahouka). And I assume that many of the people who despise Aniplex USA wish that its parent company did not produce that much great content.

But if Aniplex produced less anime, this would a very bad thing for the industry.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Apparently some people in this thread are denying the fact that Aniplex is a producer of anime. It is not as if someone else produces anime, and evil Aniplex decides to take ownership of it.

For better or worse Aniplex produces a lot of anime content these days (some is great like Madoka Magica and Kill la Kill and other is shit like Mahouka). And I assume that many of the people who despise Aniplex USA wish that its parent company did not produce that much great content.

But if Aniplex produced less anime, this would a very bad thing for the industry.

I don't. This is purely a matter of taste but I find most of what they produce to be highly stylized schlock that relies on a whole lot of hype, advertising and either previously established hit brand names (Persona, Key, The Story, Kagerou Project, Sword Art Online and various other hit LN titles) or staff (Urobuchi, Kajiura, Shinbo, Sawano, Araki, Okouchi) to see the day through with the ball being dropped in pretty much all other areas, particularly in terms of story/themes and the natural flow thereof since they tend to pay attention to style and brand appeal first and foremost.

They've maybe produced like 5-8 or so titles ever (like maybe one a year out of the 20 or so they'll do) that I've found to be more or less worth it in the end with a whole list of things on the side that other people seem to absolutely adore that I just find nothing to really get invested in. To me they're holding the industry back by not doing enough to generate new content, foster new talent and ideas and instead just being purely profit oriented. I think they work better for people that are more hardcore otaku, but when I see the brand attached to something usually it tells me to take all the hyping that is sure to follow with a grain of salt if I'm to become interested in the product at all and usually I've been proven right.

Of course there are rare exceptions like Ping Pong, but that's countered by them even having a habit of taking genuine talents like Shinichiro Watanabe and having them turn out half baked stylistic but thematically empty series like Terror in Resonance. They may be profitable and they may play a large part in keeping a constant flow of content coming to the anime audience but for the most part that content is just nowhere near as high quality to me as it gets billed as on average both by them and fans.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
animelytical

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Apparently some people in this thread are denying the fact that Aniplex is a producer of anime.

No one can deny the quality of some of their shows. If Aniplex produce an anime, it means less people can own it though so I can't see that as a good thing. A different producer can mean quality anime that is easier to buy.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
animelytical wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Apparently some people in this thread are denying the fact that Aniplex is a producer of anime.

No one can deny the quality of some of their shows. If Aniplex produce an anime, it means less people can own it though so I can't see that as a good thing. A different producer can mean quality anime that is easier to buy.

I'd personally love to see other producers get to take a stab at certain titles but their borderline monopoly on the industry at this juncture kind of prevents that. That's a big part of my problem with them in terms of business practices is that they are bloody well everywhere and in control of just about everything, though I guess this isn't a concern for many as it is for me seeing as I don't buy into their hype as much as others seem to. Granted they are VERY good at what they do when it comes to the whole hyping and advertising thing, I just don't think they pay enough attention to actually making their shows appealing to people that aren't hardcore otaku or making good on the lofty promises and appeals they go for in their promotion the vast majority of the time.

edit: I just realized people are talking about the Western market but yeah that's a whole other concern since they massively overcharge. I just see their practices since basically taking over what feels like a sizeable chunk of the industry as having strong positive short term effects (mostly that benefit their profit margins alone allowing them to pump out more shit) but driving people away from anime as well including both prospective animators who don't feel like working 600 hours a week for $8,000 a year salaries as well as fans who will just start to get tired of the never ending cycle of the same old headliners and hyper stylized ideas that need constant hyping and advertising to make a splash.

angelmcazares wrote:

Well actually it kind of is since they don't actually alone a lot of their own content and they have this relationship with other big popular content producers like Square Enix (Gunslinger Stratos), Bamco (iDOLM@STER), Key (self explanatory), Type/Moon (Fate, Kara no Kyoukai), Kadokawa (like every hit LN title ever) etc where they seem to get exclusive dibs on any new hit titles they might produce to make an adaptation. Are they necessarily the best choice for all of these projects? Who knows, but they sure as hell have gotten them into the position where they can make themselves the only choice. You might like to see something popular you enjoy animated by a certain studio, but the way things are now you'd sooner bet on that title coming out of A-1. If people are okay with that fine, but it looks like the makings of a pretty static and streamlined market to me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
To me they're holding the industry back by not doing enough to generate new content, foster new talent and ideas and instead just being purely profit oriented. I think they work better for people that are more hardcore otaku,

You are not alone in wanting to see more new anime properties that relies on well written stories and solid characterization instead of the same, tired otaku cliches. But I do not understand why you are demanding Aniplex to produce enlightened anime content when the rest of the big anime producers are also mostly relaying on otaku pandering to sell discs.

I subscribe to the belief that otaku-pandering content needs to be produced to sustain the industry. And to be fair, we still get at least two titles a year that are different and appeal to good story telling and characterization. I cannot complain much if each year we can still get stuff like Psycho-Pass, Flowers of Evil and the Eccentric Family.

Quote:
If people are okay with that fine, but it looks like the makings of a pretty static and streamlined market to me.

I agree with you. I am not pleased that the market is becoming more and more static and streamlined. But I am being realist and stating the facts.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And Key continues its search for a decent company that's not Kyoto Animation.

It's hopeless search... continues.

What do you mean by that? Aniplex is not new for a Key project. They were part of the production of Angel Beats.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh man. Im hyped.
Kiirofox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Dat gurl looks so much like Kotori... I wish they would announce rewrite and angel beats at the same time lol

Edit: Nvm the hairstyle doesn't match and what is that blue shooting star at the new project?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4