• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actress Cassandra Hodges Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matriel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
celestialwolven wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

If she knew where to turn to: Jesus Christ she would have been saved and wouldn't have wanted to take her own life and would have wanted to live on.

That's a very blanket and rude statement to make, don't you think? No one has to believe in something just because you do. How do you know she wasn't a Christian? One that had invited Jesus into her life? You don't. I personally don't know, because she never made that known to most people, but even if she was, that doesn't mean this wouldn't have happened anyway.

Just a heads up: Christians die just as often as non-Christians, and for the same reasons. Just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you're immune to death and personal suffering. We're all human beings. We're all susceptible to the same things. We all have the same mortality.

Please don't be plugging your God when so many people are in pain because of this event. Throwing in pointless "if only she'd done this" or "if only she'd done that" doesn't help one bit. Especially where religion is concerned. Thank you.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Ms. Wolven (I'm assuming you're female, my apologies if you aren't Smile). As much as I want to argue against Hamatsu's statement and just completely lay into him/her, Cassandra deserves MUCH more respect than being relegated to a "if only she was saved," or other arguments that I wish to make in rebuttal.

Once again, my sincerest condolences to you, Ms. Wolven, her family and all who knew her in some way or another, and if I may use an overused analogy, she's not hurting anymore and is free as a bird soaring through the cosmos.
Deunan Knute's Butt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
She was from Texas, which means she was probably christian since Texas is 99% christian.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Deunan Knute's Butt wrote:
She was from Texas, which means she was probably christian since Texas is 99% christian.

Stastically you're way off (44.5% of all people polled in Texas did not identify themselves as part of any organized religion)... now here's the important question:

Does it matter?

The loss of a person, the absence and emotions that comes with that loss know no religious boundaries. In times like this our faith may provide us with some solace, but that is not universal. It is not our faith in one thing or another (or none at all) that should define this moment. It should be our actions, our actions to show our support for Ms. Hodges's family, her friends, and to celebrate her life.

It is a time for each of us who are affected to remember how her actions and how her life touched each of us (which may have been directly or indirectly). For those who knew her, it is a time to reflect upon our memories of her and to try to come to terms with what happened in her life that led to this outcome, but to not let it color our perceptions of the time we were lucky to have been granted with her in this life.

My apologies for the long-winded response (and it's not meant to chide you). Based on some of the comments, I think some folks are losing sight of what they might want to think about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5