• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Cat-Eyed Boy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unitmikey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
If only Umezu manga were easier to get a hold of, or perhaps there was more being published in English (sigh).

But Cat-Eyed Boy is definitely one of the best manga I’ve read. Weird, funny, and creepy is an incredible combination that it seems Umezu does best. At times, it feels Evil Dead like in that it’s grotesque but humorous. And yes, the meatball line is genius, intentional or not.

As someone who does not read scanlations, one of the first manga I would read if I were to learn enough Japanese would be Fourteen or Left Hand of God, Right Hand of the Devil (and more Moto Hagio of course).

If only there was a bookoff near where I lived I would snatch up the rest of the volumes I haven’t read of Drifting Classroom in a heartbeat. I’m at least grateful for Orochi and Scary Book though.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Have trouble digging up a copy? Have hope. As the manga says, “Maybe the next place the Cat Eyed Boy appears… will be your home.”

That made me smile. Nice conclusion. Anime smile
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:32 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame Umezu's manga never really took off in the US (I've never seen one in any bookstore and had to get my Drifting Classroom volumes offline). Beyond J-horror fans they could have appeal to kids who are just aging up from the likes of Goosebumps and the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series - if you could ever convince those kids' parents to ignore Viz's stupid "16+" and "explicit content" labels on them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Eternal gratitude for Reptilia?

Amazon has it new for under $13 and used for $3-4 plus shipping.

You're welcome
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
^"Temporarily out of stock." With Amazon that could mean a few days to forever.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
I passed on Cat Eyed Boy despite Viz promoting it like crazy because the marketing didn't really tell me what it was about except that it was a horror series. Now that I know, it sounds interesting. But I won't pick up manga unless I know at least its premise.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
I don't think I'm going to be searching for "Cat-Eyed Boy." I'm not a big fan of horror and I don't think I'm going to read that. But,I think,this guy would have done well at the old EC Comics. From what I've heard and read about that place,he'd have fit right in there. I don't know about today's horror comics,I wonder. What would it be like if this guy did an American horror comic? What would it be like?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
Problem there is that the Comics Code Authority pretty much shut down any horror comics from the 1940s and onwards, with the CCA rules laser-guided to prevent any good horror stories from being printed. As a result, the American horror comic book scene has remained stunted and unpopular since.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
Ummm,leafy sea dragon,please forgive me for saying this but I think you may have some things wrong. I was wondering what would it be like if Kazuo Umezu did a modern-day American horror comic. I think he would have done well in the pre-comics code,but I don't know what he would have done after the code came in. He probably would have returned to Japan.
But,I think he might be able to do something for the American market. I hope he does. It might be interesting to see.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
I've never read Umezu's works, but I did see him performing funny stunts on the annual Gaki no Tsukai No Laughing specials.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Gonna check this out anything with a more older look is what i really want.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Ummm,leafy sea dragon,please forgive me for saying this but I think you may have some things wrong. I was wondering what would it be like if Kazuo Umezu did a modern-day American horror comic. I think he would have done well in the pre-comics code,but I don't know what he would have done after the code came in. He probably would have returned to Japan.
But,I think he might be able to do something for the American market. I hope he does. It might be interesting to see.

My point is that the market for horror comics was utterly destroyed by the CCA, and while they continue to exist, they are prety niche (and comic books themselves are a niche thing). In other words, they have yet to return to form in any real capacity.
REDOG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
To the moderators, There is a 70's series based on the manga called "cat eyed boy", and i put an encyclopedia recommendation of the series a couple of monthes ago, along with 5 other encyclopedia recommendations. Anyway, the series is still in queue (as well as the other five), even in the article there is no mention of the series, and it doesn't appear in the encyclopedia. I put again the recommendation here:

"TV series made in 1976, adaptation of Kazuo Umezu manga with the same name. Different Short Horror Ghost Stories with the cat eyed boy in all of them. The series was broadcasted in japanese tv from 4/1/1976 to 9/30 1976 Director is Keinosuke Doya (Should be named Tsuchiya, i think). In japanese it is called "yokaiden nekome kozo" or "nekome kozo" in short."

[url]http:​/​/​ja.​wikipedia.​org/​wiki/​妖怪伝_​猫目小僧 ※[/url]

[url]Opening Song on Youtube: https:​/​/​www.​youtube.​com/​watch?​v=​8k50od59EyQ ※[/url]

So if any moderator or another person from the site team see this, i exploit this opportunity, please enter the series (and maybe my other five) to the encyclopedia!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1