• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - Fafner EXODUS

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Color2413

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
While Fafner EXODUS has been getting extraordinarily little love, after four episodes I think that it is arguably the best of the winter season. It's a true labor of love, and looks gorgeous. The breathtaking battle set-pieces of the first two episodes served to start the series with the proverbial bang; eps 3 and 4 have served to develop the characters and to introduce the third generation of pilots.

Given Fafner's pedigree, I expect the action to pick up again soon. People will suffer and die. There will be massive amounts of angst, with stakes that couldn't be higher.

If you are not familiar with the earlier Fafner TV series and movies, I suggest that you first sample a bit of the first episode of EXODUS. If you like what you see, watch the back-story, as EXODUS won't make much sense without it.

Fafner is a throwback to an earlier, and arguably finer, age of anime. It is not otaku-bait. It is not a moe-fest and has minimal fanservice. It has grand ambitions and is serious as a heart attack. It is not for everyone, but if you liked Rahxeophon or Evangelion (less, perhaps, its whiny, low-self-esteem lead character), I think that you will find EXODUS well worth your time.
leongsh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
Without a doubt, this sequel is a labour of love. It's Xebec's personal baby. They have gotten most everyone involved in the original to come back for this, even angela to continue providing the opening and ending songs as they done for all in the series.

There's a lot going for it.

Unfortunately, it really works only if you have watched the originating series, the prequel OVA, and the sequel movie before this. For most, it is a huge hurdle to get over to get up to speed to understand what's going on and what's at stake within the context of of the story so far. One thing can be said though, the end credits imagery and song for Fafner: Exodus is signalling that a number of them will die, just like the first series. It's forewarning, so be forearmed.

For me, I liked it when the first aired 10 years back (and have the Geneon DVD box) and continuing with this.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
Color2413 wrote:
While Fafner EXODUS has been getting extraordinarily little love, after four episodes I think that it is arguably the best of the winter season. It's a true labor of love, and looks gorgeous. The breathtaking battle set-pieces of the first two episodes served to start the series with the proverbial bang; eps 3 and 4 have served to develop the characters and to introduce the third generation of pilots.

Given Fafner's pedigree, I expect the action to pick up again soon. People will suffer and die. There will be massive amounts of angst, with stakes that couldn't be higher.

If you are not familiar with the earlier Fafner TV series and movies, I suggest that you first sample a bit of the first episode of EXODUS. If you like what you see, watch the back-story, as EXODUS won't make much sense without it.

Fafner is a throwback to an earlier, and arguably finer, age of anime. It is not otaku-bait. It is not a moe-fest and has minimal fanservice. It has grand ambitions and is serious as a heart attack. It is not for everyone, but if you liked Rahxeophon or Evangelion (less, perhaps, its whiny, low-self-esteem lead character), I think that you will find EXODUS well worth your time.

it will definitely not be like those series. but overall its a good series. unfortunately cause it aint otaku bait like NGE ,its not known to all.

hell the only reason and i mean the only reason this series even have any notoriety is because of artwork ofhisashi hirai's aka Gundam Seed / Destiny's character designer.

it cant be missed since every single character in Fafner looks exactly the same like those from seed and destiny. if the first season had the same VA,especially from the dub version,then the otaku community would be calling it an uber clone of gundam seed and destiny which is what most people called it during the review for S1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Fafner, made of note how certain named characters died and thought "Oh, it's one of those shows, is it?"

I don't recall it looking so much like Majestic Prince though {Did the character designer forget which show he was doing?}. I'd rather have the sequel to that one.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

I don't recall it looking so much like Majestic Prince though {Did the character designer forget which show he was doing?}. I'd rather have the sequel to that one.

Its well known that Hisashi Hirai's character designs don't offer much in terms of variety. As a result pretty much anything that he is involved in will end up looking like his past works.
Color2413

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I watched the first episode of Fafner, made of note how certain named characters died and thought "Oh, it's one of those shows, is it?"

I finished watching "Majestic Prince" recently and prefer Fafner. While there are some similarities (teenagers fighting aliens), Fafner's aliens are much more alien, its tone is more serious, and it raises interesting spiritual issues (what does it truly mean to be assimilated by the Festum; how do pilots deal emotionally with the fact that every time they pilot a Fafner, it shortens their lives) that "Majestic Prince" does not. Fafner also avoids the usual shonen power-up tropes; the pilots are carefully trained and supported by the entire infrastructure of the island.

And like real war, anyone can die.
Color2413

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Zetabag wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Its well known that Hisashi Hirai's character designs don't offer much in terms of variety. As a result pretty much anything that he is involved in will end up looking like his past works.

Moreover, in Fafner, character development is much more important than character design. Fafner's premise has very little in common with the Gundam shows, whose conflicts are between two tribes of humanity, not humanity against an utterly alien race.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Of course, if you can't tell the characters apart, character development gets a bit rough.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Xebec keeps the character designs as close to the original as possible, yet animating their movements with modern techniques is a good throwback to the 2004 show, while dodging the "outdated" matter.
I like it.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
Without a doubt, this sequel is a labour of love. It's Xebec's personal baby. They have gotten most everyone involved in the original to come back for this, even angela to continue providing the opening and ending songs as they done for all in the series.

Short version of PV of OP by Angela:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY4ueJQNkLQ

I wish that ANN would actually bother to add such information to their spotlights.

[edit]
Poster at Ikebukuro station:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1