• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Free!, Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Definitely interested in Robot Carnival, but still unsure on Galilei Donna. On the one hand, I enjoyed it. Yet, the last few episodes left much to be desired.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
B-GradeMegumi wrote:

The "vote with your dollars" concept doesn't work when it comes to this type of stuff.

Source?

But lol, nah, I'm not gonna buy this either.

I would prefer to get BD/DVD release with a dub. I don't mind waiting, I already saw it subbed so I'm not interested in buying subtitled only.

Feel free to speak with your wallet, you seem to be interested enough in buying.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
B-GradeMegumi wrote:
Which will only result in the company not licensing shows like the one in question again.

Which doesn't matter at all to those of us that don't buy DVDs. A DVD only release is the same thing as no release for me and others.

B-GradeMegumi wrote:
The "vote with your dollars" concept doesn't work when it comes to this type of stuff.

There's a better chance of change doing that than by buying and essentially endorsing the continued barebones DVD release method
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Dang it! I was hoping Funimation got Free!.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
desslok wrote:
Fascinating how times have changed, all these "No dub? No sale!" folks. I remember back in the day how wanting a dub would get you shunned at the anime club! But now? Seems the tide has turned.
Which is why I've been saying that North American companies should just sell drama CDs of dub VAs reading the scripts, since people don't seem to value the actual shows all that much. And hey, as a bonus, they wouldn't have to worry about mouth flaps or other visual constraints on the scripting!

Besides, these kinds of bishounen-heavy/lite shounen-ai/fujoshi-targeted shows rarely have well-received dubs to begin with, and the early negative buzz on Funi's casting isn't a good sign. Is anybody singing the praises or the Gravitation or Descendants of Darkness dubs? Knight Hunters dub, anyone? Is anybody glad Media-Blasters went back and dubbed Loveless? If Funi's F!ES dub gets savaged by the fanbase, maybe Discotek's decison will prove retroactively correct.

904thehero1 wrote:
what is weird is that free season 2 is owned by funimation and is getting a dub. i cannot think of a series with one season owned by one company and another season owned by another.
It's not that rare... think Ikki-Tousen, You're Under Arrest, Ah! My Goddess, Hell Girl, Genshiken, Queen's Blade, Sailor Moon (before Viz got it all), Tenchi Muyo! before Funi got it all, Super Gals! (and that was for two halves of the same series), Full Metal Panic!, Comic Party, Galaxy Angel, Saiyuki, Fate/Stay, and probably others I'm not recalling.

But this is about the first time I know of where an initial series got licensed but not dubbed, but the second season was dubbed. Usually, things follow the pattern of "Well, that show didn't sell too well for that other company who gave it a dub, but we can grab the sequel and turn a profit if we release it sub-only." (See: Hell Girl, Super Gals!, Someday's Dreamers, You're Under Arrest, Familiar of Zero, etc.)

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I think the last vestige of argument for DVD over BD was for that person who keeps bringing up how Qwaser season 1 or older JC Staff anime in HD might not necessitate BD, but for the greater volume of anime out there since 2009, that argument is over.
Aw, I thought I was a little more notorious than "that person" Sad I still believe it's in companies' better interest to release BDs of those kinds of marginal-HD series as long as the Blu-Rays don't look worse than DVD, if only to stave off competition from downloaded rips of the Japanese Blu-Rays with the English audio (if created) added in. Though there were still some DVD-only releases even in Japan after that date, like Zakuro.

strawberry-kun wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:

I could also mention that DVD was a bigger jump over VHS than Bluray has over DVD especially since most Bluray players will upscale the disc for you anyway. I'll say that I prefer Bluray for anime, but DVD is perfectly acceptable. I also buy AoA releases and I buy Sentai and NISA releases so I do have an idea of the range of what things go for these days.
DVD is not acceptable for me. The jump to DVD from VHS was greater, but I still don't see why people would want to pay for a worse product especially these days where streaming gives you similar quality.
Also in contrast to the VHS -> DVD transition, there were no titles that got VHS-only releases once DVD was decently established at the retail and consumer level. There were no titles that were initially released on VHS and DVD, but then only kept in print with VHS collected releases after the DVD stock ran out. Yet if you substitute VHS/DVD with DVD/Blu-Ray, both of those scenarios have played out in recent years.

Regarding what various people have said about "why buy DVD when I can stream in HD?"... Admittedly, I don't see much difference between DVD/Blu-Ray on my setup, but I would still take DVD over streaming simply because it's the disc* version rather than the broadcast version. And getting fixed animation, decensoring, and added scenes is worth more to me than seeing a few extra background stars or wood grain details.

* Assuming the discs we get actually are the disc version, and the TV -> BD changes don't follow the bizarre Nisekoi model of removing backgrounds, cropping images, and adding censorship.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
I am excited for Strike the Blood, although I honestly thought Sentai or Funi would pick this one up.

Earl and Fairy is also another one that intrigues, as well as Robot Carnival.

Personally I don't like most dubs, so I usually prefer sub only, but I would prefer Blu Ray. But if that is the only available format I don't mind.

I have a bigger problem with buying a dvd with the company saying it won't be released on blu ray, and then they release on blu ray forcing me to buy it again. Like say Funimaiton with Heaven's lost property Forte.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
B-GradeMegumi wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
A bit surprised that Season 1 of Free! Iwatobi Swim Club is among the plethora of shows that Discotek picked up. Looks like I'll have to wait even longer before I'll be able to watch this show since it will be awkward just trying to jump straight into Season 2 without knowing what went on in the first season.

Or you could just, you know, watch it subtitled........

*GASP!*

Or they could *GASP* watch it the way they want to watch it. Not everyone can and/or want to watch shows subbed you know.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
You're kidding me, right? An English dub's main purpose is to be accesible to people who haven't watched it in Japanese but to watch that English dub you have to have watched the entire first season in Japanese? What in God's name is going on here?

You say that as if the plot matters, and has any significant impact on the target audiences enjoyment of this show.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure CR sold the Gargantia hom video rights to Viz. Is there some reason why they couldn't do something similar with Free? Or are they just being greedy pigs because they finally managed to secure the rights to something popular for once?

Sounds like mere speculation.

Zalis116 wrote:
904thehero1 wrote:
what is weird is that free season 2 is owned by funimation and is getting a dub. i cannot think of a series with one season owned by one company and another season owned by another.
It's not that rare... think Ikki-Tousen, You're Under Arrest, Ah! My Goddess, Hell Girl, Genshiken, Queen's Blade, Sailor Moon (before Viz got it all), Tenchi Muyo! before Funi got it all, Super Gals! (and that was for two halves of the same series), Full Metal Panic!, Comic Party, Galaxy Angel, Saiyuki, Fate/Stay, and probably others I'm not recalling.

Even though someone mentioned it, I already had the links set up, so: l me introduce you to Ah! My God-dess. Can't believe I didn't think of Super Gals!, though.

publicenemy333 wrote:
Quote:
"no details yet on the possible dubbed version or who will release it yet."

This line in particular interests me. Are they implying that someone like Funimation could still release it? Its possible they only have the DVD rights and Funimation could get the Blu-rays I suppose

Could just be a typo, and they meant "who will produce it yet."

jr0904 wrote:
also the licensing of the street fighter movie means that the inevitable have happened though its been going on for a long time now. manga ent is about to go six feet under just like the others which will of course mean the end of an era for anime companies that made the industry famous and infamous with their titles.

What? That's retarded. Licenses lapse without a company shuttering all the time.

iatheia wrote:
I read somewhere long ago that they are supposed to be adjustable to user's preference, but I am yet to find an option that would allow me to do that.

It's part of the standard, but it's so poorly implemented that no one bothers using it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:

Personally I don't give a crap about not having a dub since I'm not from a native english speaking country so I've been reading subtitles since the day I knew how to read. Also I personally don't like how english dubs sound like, they just don't fit for me.

Well, that's the way ya have to watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. Very Happy

ShanaFan852 wrote:

What helps is licensings costs are no longer insane like they used to be. It costs more to dub a show now than it does to license it, and you need less than 10,000 copies sold for something to be a good seller with a dub (Subbed seems to be 3,000 going by what Sentai stated was a good seller for them years ago at a con). Back in the day that could be considered bad.

Oh man, the numbers we could talk about back then! It wasn't uncommon to sell 40k units. Cowboy Bebop sold more than a million!
But that's a discussion for another day. Times change; economies change; internets change; heydays change; fans change.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
With the current market being as utterly argumentative to price as it is, Discotek/Crunchy are putting these titles out as profitable as they can for each title. As much as people say "dub it! I'll buy it!" there's little evidence to show that it's worth it to start a new venture unless you do what Aniplex and Pony are doing. It sucks for fans, but this is the market you voted to support with your wallet, so deal with it. If you want a dub, show financial support that there's a market for that title. Otherwise, there's nothing you can do as your fellow R1 fans have spoken for you.

Funi can take a loss on a dub since they have big titles to offset any loss; Discotek and Crunchy can't. For those saying "give it to Funi", remember how aggressive Funi is going after Crunchy's marketshare for streaming. Why would they want to help a competitor, especially one trying to put them out of business?

Again, you reap what you've sown. Many complaints here and on Facebook about prices and you get the cheap set you wanted. Why complain now?

Very well put, ultimatemegax.

This is what has essentially pushed me out of the market. My annual spending on NA products compared to years past (Bandai/Geneon era) has reduced drastically.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, that's the way ya have to watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

Not really, there's a Japanese audio track. A fansub group already did a dual audio release with subs, so that's what I expect for the new release. And wow, someone else released a rip that looks like it came from a newly remastered DVD. So maybe a transfer was already in the works?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
None of this is on Discotek. It's Crunchyroll that's releasing these, and according to one of Discotek's most recent comments, will have their logo on the spine and each DVD will begin with their logo. Discotek is just distributing their releases.

enurtsol wrote:
Oh man, the numbers we could talk about back then! It wasn't uncommon to sell 40k units. Cowboy Bebop sold more than a million!
But that's a discussion for another day. Times change; economies change; internets change; heydays change; fans change.

Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon also sold over a million. The combined total of all Dragon Ball Z DVD unit sales is about 25 million, each Sailor Moon feature sold close to a million, while the first 12 volumes of Pokemon sold 8 million.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Well, that's the way ya have to watch Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

Not really, there's a Japanese audio track.

Yep, but the English is not the dub - English is the native.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon also sold over a million. The combined total of all Dragon Ball Z DVD unit sales is about 25 million, each Sailor Moon feature sold close to a million, while the first 12 volumes of Pokemon sold 8 million.

See, these numbers explain a lot of things. Laughing
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
Discotek has been making some great license pickups lately. I'm really glad they got Arpeggio and Seha Girls since I thought Sentai would eventually get Arpeggio, and nobody would pick up Seha Girls. It's too bad there's no dub or BD for both, but I'll take it. Also, can't wait for the Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and Robot Carnival blu-rays.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Fascinating how times have changed, all these "No dub? No sale!" folks. I remember back in the day how wanting a dub would get you shunned at the anime club! But now? Seems the tide has turned.

What goes around, comes around, I guess.

Quote:
Also - come on, where's the love for Robot Carnival? That thing is a piece of art. It should be mandatory viewing for all anime fans! And more shocking, of everything on the list, that's the one thing I thought would never ever get a release in the states. How the hell did that happen?

I'm only glad we're getting it again at all. I often refer to it as the primer for anime itself, at least what it was for those of my generation.

FLCLGainax wrote:
Robot Carnival is back!

...with a VENGEANCE!!!

overlordrae wrote:
Oh man, Robot Carnival has some amazing animation. My SO's dad has the laser discs for it and I always wanted to own it. I'll definitely be picking it up.

You got one happy pappy!

EricJ2 wrote:
At one point in the post-Streamline 00's, think it was APPP that had gotten the rights back, claimed they would be handling the NA DVD themselves, and if it ever did come over here, I....don't recall seeing it.

That was when they had a short-lived US outfit called "SuperTechnoArts" I believe, the best they released was several DVD's of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10