• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Space Case

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
You actually sat through Violence Jack? I just saw one of the Youtube clips, and it was too much for me.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see someone that knows how to appreciate Space Brothers. I'm watching it on an irregular basis: every few months, I watch a few episodes, but it works well for me, because of the slow pacing and the large amount of episodes. It's a nice story, and definitely worth a shot.

And you gave a good description of NouCome there. It is, indeed, dumb, pretty bad actually, but it'll definitely make you laugh with how dumb some situations can be.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, another anime to add to my list of long anime titles. Laughing
iatheia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Completely forgot about Space Brothers... I was watching it back in a day, but dropped it at around 20 episode mark because I couldn't keep up with it from week to week and it was getting a bit long to wait for it to finish before marathoning it. But I guess now would be as good of a time as any. Plus, I have a friend who I am trying to get to watch anime, and she is so far interested in Tiger & Bunny, but I kept trying to think of what to watch next together. A lack of a dub could be a problem for her, but it is about space, so I think I could keep her entertained...

But I would disagree about the fact that it is being released at a good time. There were already 5 releases that I wanted that came out this month. I can't really spare money for the 6th.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:

And you gave a good description of NouCome there. It is, indeed, dumb, pretty bad actually, but it'll definitely make you laugh with how dumb some situations can be.

Thanks, but that's from Paul, who's listed before and after the review. Smile
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
loved the noucome review, those shows are genrally nto apreciated for what they are and are normally either put on a pedestal by some random weirdo or just bashed all the way to heaven.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I found Ore no Nōnai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Come o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru to be funnier than it probably should. Nakata Jōji narrating the show certainly helped with all the surreal humor; as well as Toyonaga Toshiyuki's performance as the main character, Amakusa Kanada (the squeakiness of he voice can be a bit distracting at times, but I thought that, overall, it fitted quite well for his indecisiveness - especially given his constant situation). Also, as stated in the Review section, the VN gimmick doesn't wear out due to the low number of episodes (10 TV, 1 OVA).

Having stated that, the show's weak points are the practically factory-manufactured character, or more correctly: character types. You have the (painfully-obvious) tsundere, the ditzy hottie, the Imōto, the loli she-is-actually-older-than-MC-kun teacher (it actually made me go Rolling Eyes) and the Beautiful-Student-Body-President one. Additionally, also some of it is circumvented due to the show's promise - the Absolute Choice - it has some unnaturally-occurring fanservice and lewd moments (stop me if you've heard that one before: "No! Don't move! My panties will fall" *sigh*)

All-in-all, if you didn't have much of a trouble watching shows like To Love-Ru, Ichiban Ushiro no Dai Maō or Kissxsis, and found them to be entertaining, then you'll find pretty much more of the same here. If you only find the VN-like gimmick to be interesting and nothing else, I recommend that you won't watch this. Go watch Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai instead; cleaver humor, good references to VN (and video games in general) and better execution of the character archetypes.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dating back to 2002, this series is the prototypical "gamers stuck in a game" series that legions of fans have cited when talking about its thematic predecessors like Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, and even Btooom! (which is more like a video game-inspired Battle Royale).

Shouldn't that be "thematic successors"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everything that Paul said about Maid Sama, but I still rate it much higher than he did.
That is mostly because I do not care about Usui except as a foil for Misaki, so his lack of development does not bother me.
And I do think that it merits a second viewing. I have watched it as least five times. Three times, or more, subtitled before the dub was made and I have watched the Blu-ray dub twice, so far.

Despite that difference of opinion I thought that this was a good review and I enjoyed reading it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You actually sat through Violence Jack? I just saw one of the Youtube clips, and it was too much for me.

I have a very high tolerance for anime nonsense. You forget who you're talking to.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Quote:
Dating back to 2002, this series is the prototypical "gamers stuck in a game" series that legions of fans have cited when talking about its thematic predecessors like Sword Art Online, Log Horizon, and even Btooom! (which is more like a video game-inspired Battle Royale).

Shouldn't that be "thematic successors"?

Heh, yeah. In my mind, the sentence was organized such that "predecessor" referred to .Hack//SIGN, but it got jumbled on the way out of my brain.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
God I love Space Brothers. I watched the whole thing on Crunchyrolll and snapped up the BD when it went on sale. I've been in a pretty stressful place recently, but Space Brothers always makes me feel more hopeful about the future, even on my worst days. And as someone who lived in both spoiler[Texas and Florida], I have a lot of fun seeing the depictions of the spoiler[space centers] there. Anime hyper The research in this series is really top-notch!
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I really liked space brother until it got too melo dramatic spoiler[(the stuck on the moon arc and then the aunt character getting the rare disease that-just-so-happen to be the exact one that killed another character's dad while he was researching a cure that could only be synthesized in space)]. At first (roughly episode 1-40) it was great, kinda romanticized version of what you'd expect astronaut test would be like. Muto himself is a great character, he feel much more real and human than 99% of anime lead. But then it kinda feel like they run out of idea once they finish the selection exam part and it's just not as interesting, I didn't stop watching it in disgust, I just started falling behind and just stopped watching it without really noticing.
Raneth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Another huge fan of Space Brothers here. I have to grab a copy!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Heh we used to watch these things for breakfast! Cool
(And Urotsukidoji to fall asleep.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3