• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Show By Rock!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:
...unfortunately for us game fans, the five bands that have performed thus far are the only bands that will be performing in the anime at all.

Out of curiosity, do you have a reference for this? I haven't seen it elsewhere yet. (And yes, speaking as someone in the 'favorite band I hope makes a cameo' camp, I have a vested interest...)

Before the anime's airing, the only five bands to be revealed on the official website were Plasmagica, Shingan CrimsonZ, Tsurezurenaru Ayatsuri Mugenan, Trichronika, and Criticrista:

http://showbyrock-anime.com/character/

And on the music tab on the site, the only CDs revealed are by said bands:

http://showbyrock-anime.com/music/

The most we can hope for with any other band is a voiced cameo, at least the ones that aren't based on real bands. Unless the tie-up artists have time to voice act, I doubt we'll be seeing them outside picture and logo cameos.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
...unfortunately for us game fans, the five bands that have performed thus far are the only bands that will be performing in the anime at all.

Out of curiosity, do you have a reference for this? I haven't seen it elsewhere yet. (And yes, speaking as someone in the 'favorite band I hope makes a cameo' camp, I have a vested interest...)

Before the anime's airing, the only five bands to be revealed on the official website were Plasmagica, Shingan CrimsonZ, Tsurezurenaru Ayatsuri Mugenan, Trichronika, and Criticrista:

The most we can hope for with any other band is a voiced cameo, at least the ones that aren't based on real bands. Unless the tie-up artists have time to voice act, I doubt we'll be seeing them outside picture and logo cameos.

That all makes sense -- I have noticed a few goods from other bands (most notably Gaugastrikes, though that's admittedly what I was looking for) on some of the import sites, but those bands are clearly the focus. I suppose we can also hope for a second cour that will highlight some of the others, but time will tell. Thank you!
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
Shaterri wrote:

That all makes sense -- I have noticed a few goods from other bands (most notably Gaugastrikes, though that's admittedly what I was looking for) on some of the import sites, but those bands are clearly the focus. I suppose we can also hope for a second cour that will highlight some of the others, but time will tell. Thank you!

Ah, yeah, Gauga Strikes are a tie-up band, based on the real band Kafuka. I'm not really expecting them to get a voiced appearance unless Kafuka have time for that.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed this episode and it was kind of fun that Cyan was talking in a way that could suggest she likes Retoree more than the other band members, but we really need more CG band performances!!!!! The song in this episode was good, glad this episode at least gave us a full song portion.

I am trying to figure out how to download the game on an android, but not finding it anywhere. My tablet doesn`t have preset japanese language functions so if I need to search by kana I need to figure out that problem. I`m a furry, and I like rhythm games, so I really want to play the game.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
I am trying to figure out how to download the game on an android, but not finding it anywhere. My tablet doesn`t have preset japanese language functions so if I need to search by kana I need to figure out that problem. I`m a furry, and I like rhythm games, so I really want to play the game.

There's a (very low volume) Reddit forum devoted to Show By Rock; if you look around there, you should be able to find information on how to run the game in your local market. (I have a Japanese Apple Store account, so was able to easily get the game on iOS, but that's presumably not so helpful for you...)

On the whole, it's a fine rhythm game; charts are decent enough, timing is weird but not too weird. And while most of the cards are in the CG/chibi style that the show uses for its concert scenes rather than the 'real-world' style (I believe the real-world look is reserved for Ultra Rares), the character and band designs are still brilliant across the board. It's well worth checking out.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, still new to importing from download stores with the country codes. If it`s mainly the CG that means more furry characters. The drawn portions are good art but they don`t go full fur. Always been a fan of chococat and this group is one I`m really enjoying.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
was not expecting that guy's dayjob to be a regular salary man, that was hilarious.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
was not expecting that guy's dayjob to be a regular salary man, that was hilarious.

Right? That whole band is ripe for a spinoff.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Ok thanks for the help on the mobile game, got it working. Lots of thank to pkmnbeatlesfan.

Glad to see that the characters are very similar although Cyan is even more kitty in the game. Shingan Crimsonz is also very similar but without knowledge from the series I`d know almost nothing. They talk so heavily. Hoping they add the Crimsonz song from the show soon.

When ROM switched to the salaryman form I took a while to realize it was him. Seems to me if there was a Shingan Crimsonz series it would be about ROM, salaryman by day rocker by night. I`m glad this is about Plasmagica personally, Shingan is really intense.

After playing the tutorial I kind of expect Mecha Maple to make an appearance.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:53 am Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
Hoping they add the Crimsonz song from the show soon.

Falling Roses is in the game, click the event tab, and there's an event with a picture of Cyan's anime artwork, that's the event where you can play the anime songs.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Tie-up bands have a chance of appearing! But it seems the ones that do appear won't be voiced by the real musicians they're based off of. Sad

I was super hyped for this episode because Marimari is in it, and thanks to SB69 I was introduced to Marie Ueda's amazing music, so I was thinking she'd be voicing her character in this episode, but no, someone else voices Marimari, which is a real shame. I understand that it probably would have been hard to get her (which is why I was expecting no tie-up artists to appear period), but why have a tie-up band appear at all then if you can't get the real bands and singers to do voice work?

Anyway, there's only going to be one more (new) song after this, and that's going to be the regular version of the song Plasmagica sang in the previous episode. After the episode with that song airs, no more new songs, as all the other anime-related songs are B-sides, only the A-sides are in the anime itself. Which is a shame, as I was really enjoying having new songs in the game added due to the anime often. The B-sides aren't even being added to the game, which is a terrible decision IMO. Also due to no blue band being a main band in the anime, however, we can grind for every type of angel card in the game regardless of the day of the week besides blue ones...

In any case, even if Marimari was voiced by Marie Ueda, Shinimonogurui still likely wouldn't have performed, as they would have needed to use a song from Marie Ueda's discography and that probably would cost extra money in production.

If any other tie-up bands were to appear, I think I'd prefer Rapezziauto above all others, since the real artist they're based on isn't tied to any label whatsoever due to being a Vocaloid producer and two indie singers. I can imagine it wouldn't cost much to get yksb, MiLO, and 31STYLE to do voicework. Pretty much all other tie-up bands are connected to some sort of label I think, so if their bands were to appear, they wouldn't be voiced by the real bands just like Marimari wasn't voiced by Marie. Especially Labomuch, as the band their based on, clammbon, isn't even indie.

Also why the hell was Tsugihagi in human form when he doesn't even have a UR card yet? Don't tease us with a human form that's going to be on a UR in the future when there won't be another red event in the game for a while since there was one recently!
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I think Amy may have raised this question in one of her reviews, but why are many of the main characters (mostly) human despite tiny animals comprising the rest of the world's inhabitants?
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I think Amy may have raised this question in one of her reviews, but why are many of the main characters (mostly) human despite tiny animals comprising the rest of the world's inhabitants?

No one really knows. In the game, the myumon forms are their main forms they're in the majority of the time, and human forms are just a bonus on the UR cards.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

It might be a way to reduce the show's expenses, which other shows usually utilize by not coloring/properly drawing background, nameless, or otherwise not story-critical, characters.

Other possible explanation is that in fact everyone of the cast is in their animal form, but they are shown to the audience as humans for the same reason characters that suppose to speak in foreign languages actually speak in Japanese. In those cases, the viewer knows that the characters shown aren't speaking Japanese in-universe, but they still speak Japanese so the viewers won't get lost in the plot while trying to speed-read the subtitles, or having a mistranslated line that will ruin the meaning of the scene.

Which is why they have animalistic characteristics (animal ears & tails, onomatopoeic speech-tic), and when the characters perform, the "veil" is removed so those scenes will have more 'impact' on the viewers.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
I prefer the myuumon version, so I`m happy that the series makes the bands myuumon look the highlight (3d versions). I wish that they left the human look to an omake (extra or bonus) in the game for fans who would like to see them human. Possibly in the series the human looks will be a call back when Cyan exits the game. The myuumon`s wouldn`t be recognizeable in her human world.

The treant is one of the less impressive dark monsters to me. Since it isn`t tied to Shinimonogurui I really don`t see why they picked it.

Too bad they didn`t make 3d versions of the cameo bands to add to the ending.

On a side note with Shizuku Secret Mind in the audience it seems the audience might start being a little more varied from here on out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7