• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: City Hunter Manga Gets New Original Anime DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd much rather have the XYZ Editions licensed for a US release than have a new short anime feature. But THAT's not very likely. Still it's welcome news.
rpgamer79

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
The news here

http://mantan-web.jp/2015/05/25/20150524dog00m200024000c.html

says that the new OVA will have a new animation, but the original voice actors will return (オリジナル声優陣が参加する予定)

So yaaaaaaaaaay \O/

After all it does not make sense that they would change them for one single episodes that serves as a 30th anniversary ^^
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Of the few City Hunter titles I've seen, mostly the OVAs, I don't really get the popularity. I find Ryo Saeba to be pretty loathsome and annoying, like a lesser Lupin III, and the "Kaori hits him with a giant hammer she pulled out of nowhere" gag gets old quickly.

But I do love me some Akira Kamiya. Kenshiro, Garlic Junior, Kogoro Mouri (miss him in this role), Roy Focker, Bagdash. He's even dubbed for Pierce Brosnan in Bond movies. The man is a dynamo, and he's one of Ryo's saving graces. If he doesn't return, there'll be that much less incentive for me to give City Hunter another shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
^That's good to hear but it looks to me like it says they are expected to return rather than they will return.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Of the few City Hunter titles I've seen, mostly the OVAs, I don't really get the popularity. I find Ryo Saeba to be pretty loathsome and annoying, like a lesser Lupin III, and the "Kaori hits him with a giant hammer she pulled out of nowhere" gag gets old quickly.

But I do love me some Akira Kamiya. Kenshiro, Garlic Junior, Kogoro Mouri (miss him in this role), Roy Focker, Bagdash. He's even dubbed for Pierce Brosnan in Bond movies. The man is a dynamo, and he's one of Ryo's saving graces. If he doesn't return, there'll be that much less incentive for me to give City Hunter another shot.

Ryo Saeba has nothing to do with Lupin III. They're completely different characters. Lupin III is a baffoon, always was and always will be a baffoon. City Hunter is a trained killer. Yeah he likes to be around women (especially if they're of the Tsukasa Hojo variety Laughing and frankly who wouldn't like to be in his shoes ?) but that's just fooling around. His heart already belongs to Kaori. He is almost an ante-litteram male tsundere character.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
Well i hope that it gets a commercial DVD/BD release so that fans (like myself) can buy it and add it to my CH collection.

Which would bring me to the point, how about a license rescue with better remastering for City Hunter and a license for Angel Heart ? I can see Right Stuf the ones for that after they got Cat's Eye (also a Hojo title).
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
I dig Kamiya, too, but I hear he doesn't come cheap.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
This will now force me to finally watch City Hunter, but while we're on this bit of news... where's my new Golden Boy OVA?
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
But will there be Jackie Chan?

I just realized how bad this movie was for the source, like Starship Troopers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2