• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Art Contest Promotes Breast Cancer Research

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:44 pm Reply with quote
What a terrific idea! Bravo! to TheOtaku.com for coming up with such a wonderful idea. Breast cancer does not discriminate on a woman's age or race and men can also get breast cancer as well (not as often as women, but they do get it).

This is a really great way to get the word out and increase the understanding. And maybe one day, we will not have to worry about ourselves, mothers, sisters, aunts, grandmothers and cousins suffering such a horrible fate.

In loving memory of My Aunt, Margaret "Peggy" Venable (June 1994)
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Hope there arent too many "OMG CHANCE TO DRAW BEWBIES ROFL1" people, though.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Hope there arent too many "OMG CHANCE TO DRAW BEWBIES ROFL1" people, though.

Smile There is always that distinct possibility but I'm going to have faith that the organizers will be able to tell the difference and give awards to the people who participate in the true spirit.
geishageek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote
I work for the Avon Foundation which sponsers the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and this makes me really happy. I work with people everyday who have lost loved ones from breast cancer or they themelves have it and it brings a smile to my face knowing that people in this fandom are activly going out and supporting the cause. I makes me happy to be an otaku. haha Laughing
bluepita

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
OK, I'll be the grinch. Breast cancer awareness is so fashionable right now, we are way over exposed. What's the problem with that? The problem is that since we are so focused on breast cancer that research and advertising about other diseases are less likely to be funded. Heart disease is the number one killer of women and most women don't even know the signs of a heart attack. I'd like to see just one company jump off the bandwagon and fill a need instead focusing on the 'in' disease. Guess this one won't be it.
JC90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think this is a fantastic idea. Even though I think bluepita is right in saying that everyone is jumping on the "disease bandwagon", it's still for a good cause. If a bandwagon is necessary, then so be it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:
OK, I'll be the grinch. Breast cancer awareness is so fashionable right now, we are way over exposed. What's the problem with that? The problem is that since we are so focused on breast cancer that research and advertising about other diseases are less likely to be funded. Heart disease is the number one killer of women and most women don't even know the signs of a heart attack. I'd like to see just one company jump off the bandwagon and fill a need instead focusing on the 'in' disease. Guess this one won't be it.

Hey grinch,

Funding does not stem from advertising and hype. The NIH and all the other funding sources are much more strict about their money than just, "Hey, this looks kinda neat. Give him a few hundred thousand bucks."

I work in a breast cancer lab, the people in it just made a huge breakthrough, but let me tell you, the funding does not come easily. At all. Hype or no hype, despite all the claims that "all proceeds will go to the blahblahblah organization!!!!" or whatever, the money does not reach the labs. And truthfully, even if you raised like, $100k for a lab, it'd be used up in less than a month.

Maybe heart attacks are your "cause." But breast cancer may be someone else's.

I'm just sayin'.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Picking nits here, don't mind me. Very Happy

They should just call it an original art contest. Because, well, they're asking for submissions using "original" characters. And, well, that's not really fan art is it? Hope folks working on something took the time to really read the rules.

Other than that, I look forward to see what people come up with. I hope many avoid going straight for the obvious ("...teh BOOBIES!") and create something really captivating and heartfelt.
bluepita

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Hey grinch,

Funding does not stem from advertising and hype. The NIH and all the other funding sources are much more strict about their money than just, "Hey, this looks kinda neat. Give him a few hundred thousand bucks."

I work in a breast cancer lab, the people in it just made a huge breakthrough, but let me tell you, the funding does not come easily. At all. Hype or no hype, despite all the claims that "all proceeds will go to the blahblahblah organization!!!!" or whatever, the money does not reach the labs. And truthfully, even if you raised like, $100k for a lab, it'd be used up in less than a month.

I'm just sayin'.

Actually my "disease cause" is something completely different than either.

I suppose by funding I was thinking about the variety of companies who have made a "breast cancer" line for their product to bring in money and increase awareness. I am sure that funding for research is indeed hard to get, and I know that most money never gets where it could actually help. That is a part of the big problem I have with the sheer amount of hype out there. It makes me sick that a serious disease has become the cause of the week, yet the people involved (in the hype, not the real stuff) apparently don't give a damn about it. Not to mention the fact, for some reason, people out there think buying these products actually helps. Haven't they realized yet, they could donate that full amount to some place that will actually use it??

My other problem is that most of America is ignorant and the fact that the trendiness of "helping" breast cancer has caused them to think it is their highest risk. Again, it irritates me to know how many more women will die of heart attacks than breast cancer, yet most women don't even know the symptoms of a heart attack. If just a few companies or peole jumped off that bandwagon for a minute, think of the good it would do. Women could know they should take action and watch for both. (And, yes, I am really starting to think that most people are not smart enough to know that.)

Anyway, my problem isn't that people do things to draw attention to breast cancer. It's just the sheer insanity of the whole cycle, which I feel accomplishes little other than making the host company look benevolent. Well, that and I'd like to see people educated on more than one risk.

**In case, I sound cranky. I am. It's not just the the cancer thing. This exact same cycle happens lots of different cases and has become a pet peeve of mine.
Caprice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:38 am Reply with quote
bluepita wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:

Hey grinch,

I'm just sayin'.

Actually my "disease cause" is something completely different than either.

I suppose by funding I was thinking about the variety of companies who have made a "breast cancer" line for their product to bring in money and increase awareness. I am sure that funding for research is indeed hard to get, and I know that most money never gets where it could actually help. That is a part of the big problem I have with the sheer amount of hype out there. It makes me sick that a serious disease has become the cause of the week, yet the people involved (in the hype, not the real stuff) apparently don't give a damn about it. Not to mention the fact, for some reason, people out there think buying these products actually helps. Haven't they realized yet, they could donate that full amount to some place that will actually use it??

My other problem is that most of America is ignorant and the fact that the trendiness of "helping" breast cancer has caused them to think it is their highest risk. Again, it irritates me to know how many more women will die of heart attacks than breast cancer, yet most women don't even know the symptoms of a heart attack. If just a few companies or peole jumped off that bandwagon for a minute, think of the good it would do. Women could know they should take action and watch for both. (And, yes, I am really starting to think that most people are not smart enough to know that.)

Anyway, my problem isn't that people do things to draw attention to breast cancer. It's just the sheer insanity of the whole cycle, which I feel accomplishes little other than making the host company look benevolent. Well, that and I'd like to see people educated on more than one risk.

**In case, I sound cranky. I am. It's not just the the cancer thing. This exact same cycle happens lots of different cases and has become a pet peeve of mine.

Yikes! I am a member of theOtaku.com and I had to sign up on here just so I could speak my opinion on this. You say, "trendy disease"? Is that what you would say to those who have lost loved ones to the disease, or are affected by it personally? That's horrible. It doesn't matter what disease, none of them are "trendy". They are a fact of life, until a cure is found. Thankfully, there are steps women can take to catch it early on. And yes, you are right about more women dying from heart disease. I do have to say that there are a large portion of those cases that could have been prevented, though. Heart disease as well as breast cancer can be hereditary. Though, heart disease is also contributed by lifestyle factors as well. How many women die from heart disease because they didn't eat right, or smoked, or other destructive behaviors? Not that this can't be a factor for breast cancer, but women who have a family history of breast cancer also have a high risk of getting it as well, even if they live a healthy lifestyle. My point is that heart disease does not have to be the #1 killer of women. If breast cancer was the #1 killer, and this contest was for heart disease, would you still be complaining? It doesn't matter. It's for a good cause. And this is not also for a cure, but also for AWARENESS. So that breast cancer does not become the #1 killer. So women can detect it early on, before it's too late. However, I'm sure there are many women out there who know their risk of heart disease, but yet do not do anything to try and avoid it. I'm just ashamed that someone had the nerve to say such a thing as you did. If you feel so adamant about heart disease, perhaps your voice would be better heard in a heart disease forum. Perhaps you should put some of that energy into helping to promote heart disease, but in a more positive way.

As for Grinch... you said it! A part of you knew that it was a horrible thing to say. This is not about Breast Cancer vs. Heart Disease. They are both a terrible thing. And both are good causes. The convention and contest could benefit any cause and people would still give. Because it's a GOOD cause.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
These people can use funding anytime. Cancer is a leading killer in the world, and people are fighting it everyday. Two of my mom's dearest friends have passed away because of cancer, and my grandma is a survivor of cancer (all cases are not breast cancer but in this case I think it's acceptable to share). Especially getting it to be realized within the anime is like appealing to a new society and giving them the reality of what goes on in the real world. This I can support.
coolGAL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Well i agree with the first post Bravo a fantastic idea and i hope it will go well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
bluepita

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Caprice wrote:

Yikes! I am a member of theOtaku.com and I had to sign up on here just so I could speak my opinion on this. You say, "trendy disease"? Is that what you would say to those who have lost loved ones to the disease, or are affected by it personally? That's horrible. It doesn't matter what disease, none of them are "trendy". They are a fact of life, until a cure is found. Thankfully, there are steps women can take to catch it early on. And yes, you are right about more women dying from heart disease. I do have to say that there are a large portion of those cases that could have been prevented, though. Heart disease as well as breast cancer can be hereditary. Though, heart disease is also contributed by lifestyle factors as well. How many women die from heart disease because they didn't eat right, or smoked, or other destructive behaviors? Not that this can't be a factor for breast cancer, but women who have a family history of breast cancer also have a high risk of getting it as well, even if they live a healthy lifestyle. My point is that heart disease does not have to be the #1 killer of women. If breast cancer was the #1 killer, and this contest was for heart disease, would you still be complaining? It doesn't matter. It's for a good cause. And this is not also for a cure, but also for AWARENESS. So that breast cancer does not become the #1 killer. So women can detect it early on, before it's too late. However, I'm sure there are many women out there who know their risk of heart disease, but yet do not do anything to try and avoid it. I'm just ashamed that someone had the nerve to say such a thing as you did. If you feel so adamant about heart disease, perhaps your voice would be better heard in a heart disease forum. Perhaps you should put some of that energy into helping to promote heart disease, but in a more positive way.

As for Grinch... you said it! A part of you knew that it was a horrible thing to say. This is not about Breast Cancer vs. Heart Disease. They are both a terrible thing. And both are good causes. The convention and contest could benefit any cause and people would still give. Because it's a GOOD cause.

Yes, I would still complain if the situation was completely reversed. I have little to no respect for people/businesses who use a disease to draw attention to their products. I don't know about TheOtaku.com but that is what most places do. You want to talk about AWARENESS?? The awareness these places are promoting is an awareness of why you should do business with them. You don't think that's crap?? And again, the four women today who don't know anything about breast cancer despite the overwhelming promotion of awareness of it, those women aren't going to ever learn if they haven't at this point.

Also I am going to assume this isn't true for your promotion, just based off who it is (size-wise), but most of that money we donate goes into the pockets of those who are "helping" out. I mean honestly how much of that money do you think actually makes it to breast cancer research labs or to victims?? I do feel that the anime fans involved would be likely to help regardless of cause. In my experience, it's a kind, caring bunch of people.

And we should care more about breast cancer than heart disease because people give themselves heart attacks?? Well jesus christ, let's use the logic of your first four sentences and tell the people it has affected that it's not as important because they did it to themselves. My point, should you have read it, was that both diseases are highly important to be educated on and I would like to see that as well as education about others. Your point, that heart disease doesn't have to be the #1 killer, is acutally a reason why it should be in our faces more than it is.

Shame? No I'm not ashamed that I feel this way. I am ashamed that companies take advantage of others pain to generate a benevolent image to earn money. I'm ashamed to live some place where people think about these things so little that they actually think that is ok. I'm ashamed that I know people who buy "breast cancer products" so they can give money to fund research, when the truth is without some gain they never would have done it. You can see that in the fact that they came away with a bracelet (or any product) with research getting a few cents from that, when they could have freely given what they spent on the bracelet with researchers getting all of it. I'm ashamed of the entire cycle. If guilt were going to influence my decision here, there is plenty from all directions, not just that one.

By the way, although breast cancer is not trendy to have (my prayers to all those that do), it is the trendy fund raiser of the week. American has a habit of cycling through them. It ought to be fairly embarassing for all of those involved.

Um, my voice would be better heard in a heart disease forum...is that as opposed to in a breast cancer forum such sa this one? I'm not trying to be mean, but that made no sense at all.

I'm sorry if you can't see my point, but unfortunately I am not incorrect. And as for what I tell people who are suffering from this, I offer my condolences and unconditional support. Should they bring the subject up (which by the way they don't, most people are actually pretty focussed on their own survival at that point), I tell them the same thing. That it's damn shame for companies to try and make money off their pain. Of course, I don't know anyone naive enough to think it's anything but that.

To everyone who posted they lost a family member to cancer, I am sorry. We lost a relative to cancer (lung) in September, and the process was the most painful thing I can imagine a person going through.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1