• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Popular Are American Movies In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Japan doesn't have anyone like Kurosawa or Ozu anymore either. The closest is Takeshi Kitano, but I think that he's past his prime. He's not even as popular overseas as he once was. Takashi Miike is about the same level as Kitano, but he's nowhere close to Kurosawa.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised the 80's and 90's were mentioned and not the 50's and 60's. I would say those earlier decades were Japan's real golden age of film.

That being said there are still art house type films in Japan. I will always mention Hirokazu Kooreda when people are looking for a great Japanese director working today.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

I noted in reporting on the most recent Cannes that there was some excitement that it was the first time in a while that anything from Japan had got any positive attention (Journey to the Shore & Our Little Sister, specifically). Maybe that's a good sign for the future. I sure do hope so.

Sorry for double posting but I don't know how to copy a quote to edit into my previous post from my phone.

But anyways Kooreda who I mentioned above directed Our Little Sister. But his films always get Buzz at Cannes. His previous film Like Father Like Son won the Jury Prize and was noticed by Speilberg (they are planning on an American remake)

While Japan doesn't get the same critical recognition as it did in the days of Kurosawa (but then again Intl' film in general doesn't get the same recognition). It's not like people are only now noticing modern Japanese film.

Departures won best foreign film not too long ago either.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I joked with my brother a couple of times, saying that many mangaka and anime personal went to the movies one night in 1982, to see the same movie. I mean, think: Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Bubblegum Crisis... this not to mention Hideo Kojima games.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
The great Hideo Kojima, whose body is made up of 70% movies, has seen Mad Max: Fury Road in theaters once in english, then at least twice in Japanese theaters. He chose to stop watching his marathon of The Killing because he couldn't resist seeing Fury Road again. He then bought and watched the Japanese Blu-ray of Fury Road.

What was the question again?

Meanwhile director Oomori Takahiro (Durarara!!, Natsume Yuujinchou) has seen Fury Road about 10 times in theaters. Now that he has the BD, he'll probably watch it another 10 times. Yes, I've asked. Wink
Ian K

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
To those who miss the weirdness Japanese cinema used to be capable of, I highly recommend this year's Yakuza Apocalypse. It starts off like a typical gangster movie, with vampire powers thrown in for spice. That would be fine, but this film has much stranger ambitions. There's a metaphor in there about the parasitic nature of both vampires and criminals, but it's wrapped up in the "and then a robot dinosaur showed up" storytelling of Axe Cop. The final product is gloriously unhinged and, if you go in unspoiled by trailers or reviews, guaranteed to surprise you.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Departures won best foreign film not too long ago either.

Oh we watch that at class back then, it was a funny dramatic film haha. I didn't know it won though.

I don't know about Japan but ugh, I wish they would lessen the live action adaptations. The acting skills is already regressing more so the directing. It's ridiculous. The last one I enjoyed was Samurai X.

I'm recently seeing Imamura Shohei's films, can't believe I've never seen one film from this guy....
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Meanwhile director Oomori Takahiro (Durarara!!, Natsume Yuujinchou) has seen Fury Road about 10 times in theaters. Now that he has the BD, he'll probably watch it another 10 times. Yes, I've asked. Wink

(And would I be right in guessing the Tokyo Ghoul director has seen Fury Road? Something looks a bit familiar... Very Happy )
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I almost forgot: As far as the animated front goes, isn't Mamoru Hosoda getting international respect as a filmmaker (and by this, I mean beyond just animated films)? He seems to be moving on up in a big way.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
Terminator Ginseng

Intentional snark?

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say it's auto-correct.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(I'm sure Harry Potter is at least partly responsible for our drowning in magical school series currently.)

Somewhat indirectly I would say, but definitely there. I think HP had a bigger impact on the Japanese web novel and fan fiction scene, which has taken a few years to filter down as the bigger stories are now getting adapted to the small screen.

I don't think any of the magical school shows are original and not adapted from writing of some sort. Scratch that, forgot Little Witch Academia, the comparisons are obvious with that one and it is original. I would say it is the outlier though.
Nerroth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
On a side note, how popular - or not - are TV shows like Arrow, The Flash, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., or Daredevil over in Japan?

I see that WB Japan handle the home video releases for Arrow and The Flash, but I'm not sure who (if anyone) broadcasts these shows over there - or if they are given Japanese dubs, or are subbed only.

And in the case of AoS and/or Daredevil, if either or both are shown (or sold) over there, how much would the advertising for them highlight their connections to the MCU movies?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
I know Eiichiro Oda watches a number of American TV shows. He is confirmed to be currently watching The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. He's just one person, but he can have an impact on a western TV show's popularity if he keeps talking about them.
Nerroth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
I forgot to note that the WB Japan YouTube channel has clips attempting to explain both Arrow and The Flash to a local audience. I wonder how well they do in this...
HiTrend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot: As far as the animated front goes, isn't Mamoru Hosoda getting international respect as a filmmaker (and by this, I mean beyond just animated films)? He seems to be moving on up in a big way.
Not really, thankfully. Who cared about The Boy and the Beast? He's mediocre at best as a film director.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
I find a lot of his films to be fairly uneven, but I would hardly call him mediocre. Plenty of far worse directors out there. I haven't seen anything by him that I haven't enjoyed to some level.

As for Boy and the Beast, what on earth are you expecting. JP release was July where it seems to have outgrossed his previous films. And the international premiere was only like a week or two ago. There have been far too few international showings for any reputation, good or otherwise to come out. And what little I have seen is generally positive. Expect people to talk about it much more when a copy is "available" online, which won't be for months until there is a home video release.

As for international respect as a director, not really. He has done some popular anime films, but nothing to really make a name for himself beyond that. Wolf Children got a bit of international theatre recognition. But all fairly low key stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3