• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: P.A. Works Reveals Kuromukuro 15th Anniversary TV Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Kougeru"]
Quote:
Tensai Okamura (Darker than Black, Blue Exorcist, Wolf's Rain, The Seven Deadly Sins) is directing the anime at P.A. Works. Ryou Higaki (Another, Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit) is handling the series composition, and Yuriko Ishii (Another, A Lull in the Sea) is designing the characters.

This is what really caught my eye. Amazing staff. ... I hold P.A. Works pretty highly (which made Glasslip hurt way more than it should've)./quote]

Same feelings here on the staff. All of them shows I liked except Nagi no Asukara, though the animation quality and art was very good, the story just didn't grab me so I dropped it.

And yeah, it is what made Red Data Girl hurt so much too (it seems like most people just forget about that one since it was so meh)

I am not too fond of mecha, it just got to a seen one seen them all long ago (and that is probably much longer than most of you are thinking for me.)

relyat08 wrote:
In any event, it would be really cool if they use their Another veterans to make this into a mecha/horror story. As far as I know, there aren't all that many of those out there.

Now that would be (if done well) something notable.

Dian Z wrote:
Recent mecha anime are imo somewhat inconsistent, directionless, and disappointing in general.

By recently do you mean since that short spike in the early '00s or do you man for the last 25 years...

I think I will try this one out, so hopefully it actually gets a decent story (basically meaning original rather than the same old dead horses).
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Go Mifune wrote:
And yeah, it is what made Red Data Girl hurt so much too (it seems like most people just forget about that one since it was so meh)

Yep, I do believe some forget RDG. I kind of liked that one, but it was still a disappointment. What's worse, in my eyes, is that they didn't adapt the final novel in the series. Only had one left to go, and the anime probably won't be getting a sequel.

Personally, the disappointment I experienced watching Glasslip kind of wiped RDG away.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Personally, the disappointment I experienced watching Glasslip kind of wiped RDG away.

Oh wow! I actually have not seen Glasslip. That was a more than full season for me and I put it on the back burner. And it has not moved up in priority with the fair amount of negative comments about it.

In RDG, I found myself wanting to know more about her and her powers than about the relation with her protector. So I am not sure having the last novel would have done it for me. So I am not sure if it was anything that PA Works had any control over (since I have not read the novels or manga).

Also, though I think story quality is really PA Works' greatest challenge. For the most part they generally are sort of average or "good" as opposed to very good or excellent. (Another is probably my favorite production of theirs and I only rate it very good story-wise.)

Where thy shine is their art and animation quality, which is why Nagi no Asukara is on my "to watch" list even though the subject matter isn't my cup of tea. Also don't get me wrong, Charlotte is my #5 for this year even though I thought it had only a "good" story. And this is because I feel they handled the ending well (because frankly, it was poised to have a really sloppy ending.)
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
Huh, this was pretty unexpected for the studio. I may check it out, but I don't like PA Works that much and Pony Canyon makes me wary. A horror mecha series though like the other posters said would be interesting. Only one of those I've seen is Blue Gender.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
Go Mifune wrote:
Oh wow! I actually have not seen Glasslip.

If you do end up watching it, don't expect the interesting sounding premise to spoiler[lead anywhere]. That's basically how I felt.

On RDG, you may be right, and that the source material didn't have what you were looking for.

I also agree with you on PA Works' visuals, they're of a much higher standard than some of their stories. NagiAsu does have mixed opinions on it. Seems like you love it or hate it. I loved most of it spoiler[until the time skip], events afterwards disappointed me (spoiler[Miuna is best girl]).

Charlotte is one of my favourites this year, but I can't say that the story was awesome. It was one that had it's moments, and I really liked how it wrapped up (even though it felt rushed to me).

Still, a mecha series from PA Works is like nothing I've ever seen from them. I'm cautiously optimistic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2