• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.K. Live-Action 'Death Note' Film Borrows Plot Elements, Title of Popular Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
So, is this illegal? Are they going to get sued? I'm not sure how Japanese copyright laws work, but this seems like pretty blatant theft.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, is that Davos Seaworth? I'll definitely have to check this out.... Shocked
jonnyMAGNUM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
The film is on Netflix, under the original title Let Us Prey. I had pushed it aside as another straight-to-VOD/DVD junk, but now my intrigue is peaked.

Last edited by jonnyMAGNUM on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
So, are we saying it's the Japanese's "fault" for retitling it, or the UK film's fault for being a baldfaced "I've heard of manga and you haven't" theft?
Because the linked articles keep trying to blame the Japanese, for some odd reason. Confused

(Actually, I give the Japanese marketers credit for calling the UK producers on the carpet and cutting their losses before they happen--I've seen other amusing Asian retitlings, like when a certain slumming Terry Gilliam film opened in Hong Kong as "Van Helsing II: the Brothers Grimm".)

But hey, it's not like WE'VE ever had baldfaced intentional anime plagiarisms in the US to put one over on the gullible and anime-illiterate (aheminception)...
CailinBainne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
My boyfriend is actually really good friends of the director of this movie. I do have to say it's grasping a straws. If you were to watch the movie without the knowledge of its Japanese name you wouldn't make such links. The movie is completely different and I don't even think the director has watched one episode of anime a day in his life. It's a fairly good movie especially if you know its really low budget and his first ever feature length. But when I watched it I didn't make the links. And even with the knowledge of the title change I still can't. But in saying that it's a really dumb move on japan's part cause it's messing up the view on a movie by naming it after a really famous anime. Just saying. Don't go running to conclusions without knowing everything
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Hum, yeah., I actually watched this movie earlier this year and no, it's nothing like Death note. The notebook thing, .. spoiler[the notebook doesn't kill anyone, it's just a list of names of people who've done bad stuff and are condemned and the rest of the movie is basically figuring out what have they done and who is the guy delivering "justice". He dosn´t even have to find out the names, they just appear magically written there] Stating that Six is an angel of death is actually a spoiler spoiler[as this is something related to the end of the movie (and she isn't one originally) and it is actually never clear if the guy who actually does the "revenge" is what he says he is or if he's lying and it's actually the devil,] which is IMHO the coolest thing about this movie.

It's not a great world changing movie but I was entertained. It's more like an action thing with a supernatural twist.
But seriously, I've read the Death Note manga, and watched the anime 3 times (not that I'm a superfan, I just happened to know other people who wanted to watch it and I do not lend out my dvds since there was an... accident Anime hyper I like it enough though and I would notice if something I was watching was ripping off the story).
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Would watch for sure. Looks better than the anime.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Would watch for sure. Looks better than the anime.

Agreed. I'm liking it for the "original" title it came out under.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
As easy as it would be, can't blame the UK filmmakers for this one. They made their own film (mediocre, it seems from reviews, but that's not relevant) and it's the Japanese distributor who decided to rename it Death Note.

Very sketchy.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I think comparing this to Asylum films like Transmorphers is a bit rude to the makers of Let Us Prey. Those are made solely to capitalize on the pending success of Hollywood tentpoles. This situation reminds me of Frozen Land, a movie made in earnest to be its own thing that got retitled by a distributor to tie it into something much more popular.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
It's not like Japan doesn't already re-title Western films to suit their needs. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1