• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood License to Expire in March

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jppcouto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
this is sad news indeed.
BUT what i don't understand is how can the most profitable funimation series come to end???
se37

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
I might want to take another look at FMA 2003 Blu-Ray now since Funimation might loose the rights to that. I still have the 3 original tins back from 2003 and I wasn't going to buy them since I have the original DVDs but I could take a second look at them. Plus the tins take up too much room on my DVD shelf. Thank god I got the Brotherhood Blu-Rays for Christmas this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Felis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
If AoA re-releases it, expect to pay about $10 an episode to own Brotherhood if you miss out on the Funimation release. That means an AoA release will cost at a minimum $640 to own all of the Brotherhood TV series.

I'll laugh if all AoA does is use Funimation's existing Blu-ray masters, repackage them with new disc art, and price gouge the hell out of it. I'm pretty sure they did that with the Gurren Lagann DVD Box Set (according to a review on Rightstuf, they used the existing Bandai DVD masters with new disc art for their DVD release).

Brotherhood has mass market appeal, is a top seller for Funimation, and is currently sold in retail stores and many other online retailers. And AoA wants to just sell to hardcore collectors at select retailers like RightStuf. LOL Laughing

Last edited by Felis on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
jppcouto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:00 am Reply with quote
this is the worst news of the year....can u believe i was rewatching some episodes from FMAB dub yesterday? Yes, and I saying to my brother how I was delighted with the voice acting of this series....and now they do this??? How can the most profitable funimation series come to end???
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:

Also, Sony isn't doing well with Spider-Man at all. Their last one was a relative bomb,

That is what happens when you turn Peter Parker into a Twilight'ee.
Kougeru wrote:
And as pointed out, the people to blame ARE the people that supported Aniplex's insane prices. This is what happens when you support greed. Of course, most of these same fans probably don't care because they're more wealthy (or their parents are) than most people.

It is easy to blame the hard core collectors, but it is a false idol you are worshipping. Also, it is not greed. They want to own it, they have the cash for it, so they buy it. They now have it, and the rest of us don’t. They western market is purely gravy for Japan, even if the hard core collectors for the most part didn’t buy Aniplex titles, a few still would and Aniplex would still make money. Lay the blame strictly with Aniplex. That is where it belongs.
Kalessin wrote:
Not licensing new stuff might make sense given their fears of reverse importation, but refusing to let old stuff continue to be released? How does that make sense? All around, what Aniplex is up to with not renewing these licenses is just plain weird.

Aniplex owns them, so they are theirs to do with as they please. Aniplex only cares about a select group of fans, the ones who will pay a fortune for their titles. So if they think a new show of theirs will not make enough money for them off that group, they simply will not release it. Aniplex is branding themselves as a premium offering. They can no longer be having their titles out there with the common masses. It really is that simple.
Reverse importation has no bearing on this. They could just wait a year after the final Japanese releases have gone out, but they haven’t. If you don’t buy their expensive premium release, you are not going to get a standard release anytime in the near future.
Let Aniplex feel the anger at the conventions. Roast them at the panels, so that the fanboys and fangirls don’t get to bring the love fest in. If Aniplex’s guests and representatives really feel the heat, things might change. The Q&A panels all need to be about their expensive prices, and the lack of standard (as we know them) BD releases.
Jupiter77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
I am a big fan of both the monogatari series and puella and aoa is the only way to watch it legally. No i'am not rich by any means but if I love a show it is the one choice I have to own a physical copy.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
So if Hulu's expiration dates are anything to go by, (so far they have matched up) Funimation may not have the rights to the original FMA by 7/31/2016. They still have them for now, and that's a while away, but still.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
for the people worrying that Funimation's dubs of the franchise will be lost,that will not happen.Aniplex released the Bacanno blurays and retained the dub produced by Funimation.
Which is good,because Aniplex showed us with the Fate franchise that they don't give a damn about consistent dubs...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking I'll pick up the blu-ray for Brotherhood. I was fine with just the DVDs, but at this point at this point it is basically now or never since I wouldn't pay Aniplex prices to get a better version of what I already have.

I get that Aniplex owns these shows and can simply keep them for themselves, but honestly, it still comes off as a pretty low in my book. Funimation puts in the effort and expense bringing these shows to N.A. and dubbing them, and now they won't get to use them going forward, and the fans are looking at a huge price increase on top of it.

The sad part is, this will probably work out for Aniplex in the end. Since they won't have to license the shows or dub them, the big expenses are already out of the way, and there are bound to be enough people down the line who just recently discovered these shows and will have no choice but to pay Aniplex prices if they want a copy.

Actually, when I was watching the blu-rays for the '03 series, as soon as I saw the Aniplex logo, I found myself wondering how long it would be before they ended up with any of the shows other companies licensed from them.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Just baseless speculation on my part but I wonder if any of the recent funimation changes were due to them knowing that their AoA titles would be going back to AoA.

The change of distributor, them relying more on streaming numbers to determine which Animes get chipboard LE's and such when it seemed like every release in the past had a standard and LE option and now S2's of previous series with LE's are getting just standard sets.

Since FMA Alchemist and DBZ are 2 of funi's money printing machines I wonder if those changes are cost cutting measures to help alleviate losing these AoA titles.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
So the 2009 remake will be lost, but the earlier (and more divisive) 2003 series will remain at FUNi... Confused
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Oh god, this blows. I already own all of FMA, but this is horrible news. I feel bad for Funimation, one of their best and most beloved shows is being taken away.
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I have all of Brotherhood, Shambala and Milos because this news really makes me upset. I've been harshly critical of Aniplex's physical media strategy since the very beginning and to see them do this is nothing short of heartbreaking since Brotherhood is one of my all time favorites.

The blame does lay at Aniplex's feet more than the consumers that supported them (how anyone can justify paying more than $100 for a 26 episode series still baffles me, but to each their own), but I still feel a bit upset at the lack of criticism towards them at the outset given that their pricing structure was similar to Bandai Visual's and we all know how that song and dance ended.

I seriously hope that Funimation finds some way to hold onto the original series long term at least, they did so much good for this franchise from the very start, that to have it ripped from them like this from a company that wants to still believe that reverse importation is a thing is nothing short of infuriating.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
So the 2009 remake will be lost, but the earlier (and more divisive) 2003 series will remain at FUNi... Confused

They still have the rights for the original series for now, but I honestly don't think it will be for long.
Walkbrass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
I just want to say this to those of you who buy AoA's products and think that you have you other choice: you're wrong. You can import from the UK.

Here's an example:
A region free blu-ray player can be picked up for somewhere in the neigborhood of $150, a bit more if you want something fancier.

AoA's blu-ray release of Gurren Lagann costs $250, all total. A set from the UK costs about $40.

That's just one series. Most of what you can get from AoA you can also get from the UK. Think about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14