• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atelier Firis RPG Announced for PS4/Vita This Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
I pre ordered Sophie, I get it next month.

I will probably get this game also.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Damn, that was fast. Sophie is set to release for us soon and the new girl's already got her name and artwork up.
HikaruSniper

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Looks really cute.
Sifixs

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Who plays this game? I doubt female players, dont tell me this series is to cater the moe crap fanbase.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Top notch Item Creation systems is the main selling point of the series, and it helps the gameplay is usually very good. The game's superbosses are among the most crazily and hilariously broken in videogames if you don't make yourself equally broken with IC. (The previous game's superboss had 4 turns to your 1, summoned 4 adds that it could absorb for full healing+double it's stats. It's stats could max at 16x original, I think. Maybe 8x. And yet, you could beat it with the right items and strategy). The stories are hit or miss, as are the characters, but there's usually something in there to keep you playing. Ayesha and Totori were probably tops for story recently, though Ayesha's gameplay was a little slow. Gameplaywise, Shallie.

The art style definitely caters to the moe crowd, but doesn't tend to sexualize the characters like say, Ar Tonelico does. It's just the aesthetic they use tends to skew towards the cute and colorful.

Last edited by Hunter Sopko on Tue May 24, 2016 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Sifixs wrote:
Who plays this game? I doubt female players, dont tell me this series is to cater the moe crap fanbase.

I've only played the last 3, but they're not creepy otaku fodder. In terms of risque content, the most you can get is paid DLC swimsuits. What you do get is some good, old-fashioned, turn-based combat which I dearly miss.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
The art style caters to moe? Have you seen all the dudes? I mean the leads are female, but the men have equal time put into their character designs.

Also given the panel attendance I've seen at cons, there are enough female players as well.

Also how is 'moe crap' an insult? Would you insult someone for gekiga?
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Sifixs wrote:

I've played all since they started coming out on the PS3 (Atelier Rorona) and have purchased the PS Vita versions as well so I would qualify I think as a major fan. If you're a fan of turn-based RPGs which I am then the Atelier games are way up there. More important in the Atelier games is the crafting systems. Often battles are there just so you can get your ingredients. The crafting systems in the games is complex and can be a challenge to master although the later games have simplified it somewhat.

Story wise the games have always been fairly laid back. Instead of "save the world", it's things like "stop your business being shut down", or "find your sister" or "find out why your village water is running out". Personally I like that. It allows for lots of time finding out about your characters without too much stress.

Yes the character designs are fairly Moe. So what? Most anime themed games are. There's nothing particularly pervy about it. The most you'll get is the old staple "discover a hot pool" scene and that's about it.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Sifixs wrote:

One of the most female friendly jrpgs out there with nearly every games MC being female and many themes that would cater to the female audience (myself included) and your saying you doubt that there are female players of this series? This and the Tales series have an huge female fanbase.

Super excited at this announcement, can't wait for the beautiful Atelier Sophie LE to arrive from the NISA store and to play it. One of my all time favorite series Anime smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it's only a coincidence that Atelier Firis is so similar in name to Atelier Iris? Seems a little strange and hard to believe nobody noticed during production.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kasumicc

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Sifixs wrote:

This female player enjoys a lot the Atelier series. I would argue its aesthetics are more of the "kawaii" kind rather than moe, but eh. Either way it's a very embellished art style, which definitely doesn't lean towards sexualizing the characters; it's as far as I can imagine from being otaku fodder.
Let's add the fact that Atelier sets its focus on grinding materials, item crafting and character interactions rather than battles, and you get a game that's actually quite friendly for a female audience.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I wonder if it's only a coincidence that Atelier Firis is so similar in name to Atelier Iris? Seems a little strange and hard to believe nobody noticed during production.

That's an excellent point you bring up, especially when one remembers the Iris trilogy didn't really resonate with the Japanese fans (and the major irony being that it was Atelier Iris that originally got NISA invested in localizing the series here).

Besides the change to a more typical JRPG setup in terms of plot and progression, they were upset that though Iris is the obligatory female lead (despite each game having a different Iris), the main protagonists were all male, which led to a big how dare you Gust reaction. Remember the majority of Atelier gamers (and gamers in general during the 90s) since Marie's creation were all male. And when you recall the reactions they've had to Rorona being "impure" due to a misinterpreted text line to Iksel and the general dislike they have for Logy's existence, it seems to ring true that the guys are a little too girl crazy about this series over there.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed May 25, 2016 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
These releases are every year now
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1