• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump's Sasaki: Bleach Manga Will End in Less Than 10 Weeks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Thank God, it's finally ending.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The shonen magic makers need to wrap it up and make a different series. New ideas constantly from your favorite artists usually yield in some awesome results. Dragging Bleach this far along is unacceptable. Management is to blame.
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Nakurawari wrote:

Kubo can't switch magazine on his own. Firstly, Shueisha owns Bleach, not him. Secondly, D.Gray-Man switched to a magazine also owned by Shueisha. If Shueisha wanted Bleach in a different magazine, they would be doing that instead of ending it.

Actually, Kubo does technically "own" Bleach. It's just that publishers like Shueisha are very beneficial to manga creators, as the publisher will handle stuff like licensing, which I'm sure some creators just don't want to deal with normally. For example, if Shueisha "owned" the manga that it has published, then Fist of the North Star's inclusions in Jump crossovers wouldn't be such a potential question mark, since Tetsuo Hara owns the rights to it, & Vertical wouldn't have been able to publish Prophecy, as that was published by Shueisha in Japan (& Vertical generally can't license Shueisha titles), but the creator himself asked Vertical to bring it over.

Nakurawari is obviously a lawyer that knows the specifics of Kubo's contract with Shueisha, so we shouldn't mess with him. Rofl.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Need my Ichigo x spoiler[Orihime] ending. Please, Kubo. Don't disappoint me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:25 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The shonen magic makers need to wrap it up and make a different series. New ideas constantly from your favorite artists usually yield in some awesome results.

Which from what I've seen leads to series that are cancelled after less than 100 chapters or so.

KH91 wrote:
Need my Ichigo x spoiler[Orihime] ending. Please, Kubo. Don't disappoint me.

Did that need a spoiler tag!?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Soooo in the past few chapters spoiler[Ichigo had his zanpakuto repaired...only to see it broken again]. Apparently this is how you end a series.
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
wow.... honestly ANN's comments section when it comes to Bleach is just as cancerous as always ! it's like they have this unstoppable urge to just come on every single article that is related to Bleach and just ruin whatever the fans are feeling....
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:24 am Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
Finally we have a legitimate timeframe of when it's ending. The countdown begins now. Wonder how Kubo will wrap it up and if we'll see a Boruto-esque continuation.

Probably not. Boruto exists because fan-demand for more Naruto was still incredibly strong when it ended. (Even if the final arc gets poked fun of a lot around here, the kids love it.) I don't think there's quite the amount of demand for more Bleach.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Years ago people were saying Bleach was canceled but they were going to let Kubo keep writing it for however long he wanted to finish it up. That was always nonsense to me because of stories like this that I saw all the time on ANN. When these magazines want a manga gone, you might get as little as like a month to wrap up whatever you have going. They don't let you linger on forever out of kindness.

Bleach has now officially stopped earning its keep.

Unlike most other series in WSJ though, Bleach was once a tentpole series and one of the Big Three. In the United States, it was one of the anime series commonly associated with anime itself. I think Kubo got this sort of leeway because of the clout he gained from the earlier parts of the series.

Ambimunch wrote:
Or if Kubo wants, he can pull a D.Gray-Man and switch magazines. Any magazine would be happy to have Bleach. Despite the hate, it is still a good selling series, still has fans, and still has legacy.

An alternative is that Bleach gets an epilogue treatment that allows Kubo to tell however much of the story he wants at whatever pace he wants. This is what's been going on with Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan (also known as Nurarihyon no Mago): Supposedly, the author will write several long chapters that wrap the story up. It's been...two years, I think, since the weekly series ended, and only two chapters have gone up. I don't think the story has actually ended yet. (Either that, or I missed the ending.)
Larkan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:38 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Calculus20 wrote:
Finally we have a legitimate timeframe of when it's ending. The countdown begins now. Wonder how Kubo will wrap it up and if we'll see a Boruto-esque continuation.

Probably not. Boruto exists because fan-demand for more Naruto was still incredibly strong when it ended. (Even if the final arc gets poked fun of a lot around here, the kids love it.) I don't think there's quite the amount of demand for more Bleach.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Years ago people were saying Bleach was canceled but they were going to let Kubo keep writing it for however long he wanted to finish it up. That was always nonsense to me because of stories like this that I saw all the time on ANN. When these magazines want a manga gone, you might get as little as like a month to wrap up whatever you have going. They don't let you linger on forever out of kindness.

Unlike most other series in WSJ though, Bleach was once a tentpole series and one of the Big Three. In the United States, it was one of the anime series commonly associated with anime itself. I think Kubo got this sort of leeway because of the clout he gained from the earlier parts of the series.

Ambimunch wrote:
Or if Kubo wants, he can pull a D.Gray-Man and switch magazines. Any magazine would be happy to have Bleach. Despite the hate, it is still a good selling series, still has fans, and still has legacy.

An alternative is that Bleach gets an epilogue treatment that allows Kubo to tell however much of the story he wants at whatever pace he wants. This is what's been going on with Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan (also known as Nurarihyon no Mago): Supposedly, the author will write several long chapters that wrap the story up. It's been...two years, I think, since the weekly series ended, and only two chapters have gone up. I don't think the story has actually ended yet. (Either that, or I missed the ending.)

i think you just missed the ending since left WSJ and ended in JUMP NEXT 2-3 chapters later irrc

Author is already starting a new series in JUMP GIGA(JUMP Next with a new name)
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
Ok, guess I made a mistake, even if the series concludes in volume 74 it's going to be a bumper one. At least, as other say, we now have a definite time frame, and a little longer than I suspected as well. Will Kubo manage to do it without it being a total hatchet job?...

...I doub't it.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
All I'll say, as a c-c-c-combo breaker: FINALLY!

I think Bleach was on life support for far too long.
MyNameIsDefault

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
I am sort of sad to see Bleach to go, and would definitely enjoy this 74th volume being larger than normal (if Shueisha would even give Kubo that kind of treatment). Bleach was one of the first anime I'd watched years ago, so it holds a special place for me, even if quality has become questionable after so long. I'm even enjoying this "final fight" more than I thought I would.
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
MyNameIsDefault wrote:
I am sort of sad to see Bleach to go, and would definitely enjoy this 74th volume being larger than normal (if Shueisha would even give Kubo that kind of treatment).

Yeah same here ! just hope they don't increase its price xD
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
It's amazing. The manga has been dilly dallying and taking its sweet time to do anything and now that the editors have officially given Kubo the axe he's speeding through everything at Mach 3 to avoid a full on non-ending. George RR Martin would be proud.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Bleach hasn't stopped earning it's keep. It's most recent volume broke 300k in the first week alone. The previous volume broke 400k before it fell off the weekly charts after a month. It was Jump's 7th best selling series last year, something that's unlikely to change much given that two of the series above it - Naruto and Assassination Classroom - have ended, another - Shokugeki no Soma - was above it primarily due to a sales boost from it's anime, and yet another - Nisekoi - has suffered it's own decline.

What's happening is that Bleach is coming up on it's 15th anniversary (August 7th), and once you take the negatively numbered chapters into consideration, it's coming up on chapter 700 really soon as well.

Either one would make for a logical point to end the series. So this has probably been planned for a while. If you think the ending is rushed, or too many loose ends are being left, the fault is likely with Kubo's writing, not with his editors rushing him, or suddenly cancelling the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4