×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the new ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SHAFT's Zaregoto OVA Reveals Cast, Staff, Theme Songs




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stark700



Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 11652
Location: Earth
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Out of all those character designs, I like Aikawa the most so far. Excited for this!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Yuki domination! Dat cast!

Akane and Aikawa made me more excited to watch this now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kyoshinhei



Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 34
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
working with Fuyashi Tou

This formulation sounds weird ^^
Fuyashi Tou is not an actual person but a placeholder name to designate the SHAFT staff, pretty much like Hajime Yatate for Sunrise. (Fuyashi Tou is an anagram for SHAFT's japanese pronounciation : Shyafuto)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thespacemaster



Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 749
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I am actually a little amazed that a series is coming out in its entirity as an ova.

Don't get me wrong.. i know we still get a lot of ovas but it is rare these days to have an entire series adapted and released in an ova format...it was common in the 90's and 00's but you don't see much ova adaptations these days...usually just one or two as extra content.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
harminia



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 1470
Location: australia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm so disappointed with this. I love the Zaregoto books to pieces, but what makes them is take's art. When they announced Zaregoto as an anime I was so excited, and I had faith in SHAFT that they'd do something amazing with take's art (like White Fox did with Katanagatari). But, alas, my faith was misguided.
Now it's just Bakemonogatari 2.

Well... at least it will sound nice...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FtKaru



Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 70
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I'm so disappointed with this. I love the Zaregoto books to pieces, but what makes them is take's art. When they announced Zaregoto as an anime I was so excited, and I had faith in SHAFT that they'd do something amazing with take's art (like White Fox did with Katanagatari). But, alas, my faith was misguided.
Now it's just Bakemonogatari 2.

Well... at least it will sound nice...

Maybe I'm just completely misguided as far as Japanese novels go, I find it hard to believe how the art "makes it" I don't know much about the composition of light novels, but isn't the amount of illustrations fairly limited at best making it rely pretty much entirely on writing? I could easily see why someone would want Take on the art, but I mean monogatari did pretty well for itself using Akio instead of Vofan. Unless you're saying that the only thing that actually separates the two series is that visual component (since Nisio wrote both) which would just make me think they're weak in general.

These designs seem to kind of try and emulate the original style rather than being purely Akio's standard work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 2225
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
As long as the show is stylized well I'm still okay with these character designs, and often Shaft delivers on that front, so I'm slightly optimistic.

The conversations are my favorite part of the books but they are really long and if this is a lower effort product it'll be a bit boring, which I hope isn't the case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GaryNhk



Joined: 26 Jul 2015
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:
harminia wrote:
I'm so disappointed with this. I love the Zaregoto books to pieces, but what makes them is take's art. When they announced Zaregoto as an anime I was so excited, and I had faith in SHAFT that they'd do something amazing with take's art (like White Fox did with Katanagatari). But, alas, my faith was misguided.
Now it's just Bakemonogatari 2.

Well... at least it will sound nice...

Maybe I'm just completely misguided as far as Japanese novels go, I find it hard to believe how the art "makes it" I don't know much about the composition of light novels, but isn't the amount of illustrations fairly limited at best making it rely pretty much entirely on writing? I could easily see why someone would want Take on the art, but I mean monogatari did pretty well for itself using Akio instead of Vofan. Unless you're saying that the only thing that actually separates the two series is that visual component (since Nisio wrote both) which would just make me think they're weak in general.

These designs seem to kind of try and emulate the original style rather than being purely Akio's standard work.


Akio in my opinion makes beautiful char designs that work great with animation and the fact that he's listed as the chief animation director as well tell me the ovas will visually good. Katanagatari looks great still but with movement/animation it funky and I'm sure thats why alot of people might of pass over that show even though the story was great. Heres hoping it gets a release over here in the states even if its aniplex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4125
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
This whole project is really strange. There are 9 novels, but they are adapting just the first one over the course of several months with 8 OVAs??? How long is this freaking book?? Confused

Wouldn't it make more sense to just do a 2 cour TV series or something?

Kyoshinhei wrote:
Quote:
working with Fuyashi Tou

This formulation sounds weird ^^
Fuyashi Tou is not an actual person but a placeholder name to designate the SHAFT staff, pretty much like Hajime Yatate for Sunrise. (Fuyashi Tou is an anagram for SHAFT's japanese pronounciation : Shyafuto)


That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that tidbit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
harminia



Joined: 24 Aug 2015
Posts: 1470
Location: australia
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:
Maybe I'm just completely misguided as far as Japanese novels go, I find it hard to believe how the art "makes it" I don't know much about the composition of light novels, but isn't the amount of illustrations fairly limited at best making it rely pretty much entirely on writing? I could easily see why someone would want Take on the art, but I mean monogatari did pretty well for itself using Akio instead of Vofan. Unless you're saying that the only thing that actually separates the two series is that visual component (since Nisio wrote both) which would just make me think they're weak in general.

These designs seem to kind of try and emulate the original style rather than being purely Akio's standard work.


I realised later that "Makes it" wasn't exactly what I meant. It definitely adds to it, and having that visual image of the characters makes it fun to read it and imagine it as them.
I know personally my feelings are a bias towards Take because they're one of my favourite artists, but the other thing is I feel like Watanabe's art is sort of.. saturating the market. With all the Monogatari stuff happening, it'd be nice for it to have looked different rather than the same. If SHAFT adapt Nisio's other stuff, will they just make it all look like Monogatari? That'd be a real shame.
I would've liked Vofan's style to have been used for Monogatari, but because when I first started watching the anime I didn't know of Vofan's art I was used to Watanabe's style for it. Now that I know beforehand what they could've done with Zaregoto, I'm left disappointed they opted for the easy way out.
To be honest, SHAFT + Take sounded like a match made in heaven, which is why I was so disappointed they didn't try it.

Also, I (again, bias) didn't find Katanagatari weird in motion. Another good example of Take animation is the Animator's Expo short, I can Friday By Day, which looks really good and doesn't have as crazy designs as, say, Zaregoto.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 2225
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
This whole project is really strange. There are 9 novels, but they are adapting just the first one over the course of several months with 8 OVAs??? How long is this freaking book?? Confused


The english translation has 378 pages; a bit bigger than your average light novel but not by a very significant amount. That said, 8 episodes for one novel has been done before, and with a Nisio novel it could lead to good things (Bake, for instance, was two novels done in 15 episodes).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4125
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
This whole project is really strange. There are 9 novels, but they are adapting just the first one over the course of several months with 8 OVAs??? How long is this freaking book?? Confused


The english translation has 378 pages; a bit bigger than your average light novel but not by a very significant amount. That said, 8 episodes for one novel has been done before, and with a Nisio novel it could lead to good things (Bake, for instance, was two novels done in 15 episodes).


Okay, interesting. Putting it in that perspective makes it seem more reasonable. I hope it's successful enough for us to get all 8 novels adapted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group