• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girlish Number (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
That's not what I got out of it. I could see she was happy about there being signs that she is popular despite the anime being crap, but her eyes narrowing and saying, "that's a plus ... sort of" I interpreted to mean that she is not unware that things aren't 100%. I hope that tiny morsel isn't what this show considers development. Also, I should mention that when I say I'm looking for development, I mean just some kind of new angle. How about having Chitose truly interact with a fan? How about having Chitose truly interact with the poor, suffering sensei? Anything to break out of this tight bubble the show seems mired in.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit when all of Chitose's fans turn on her because some one saw her leave her apartment with Gojo. Definitely the kind of dark side to things this show likes highlighting.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode Five

What good is wearing your disguise Chitose? You never change your shirt! (Does "Chitose" mean "Egg Shirt Lady" in Japanese?)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Fear not, HelloBucket - there's a costume change coming next week: Beach episode!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
Episodes 4, 5 and 6

Well that was a crash and burn, the only question is if they can pull themselves from the wreckage, and it looks Chitose is going to struggle to do so. Actually, despite the total failure of the anime they worked in, I think it actually showed that Chitosa has a talent, she has high charisma. She was totally lacking in so many things, the preview they put out at the event was a total washout and she sure as dang should have been anxious about singing the full version of the OP song, but her charisma is so high that she could ignore all of that and make the audience get into it. If she really became more self aware and worked on her weaknesses, she might even be worth some of the praise she gives herself.

Despite everything the series did have some fans, who knows some might have liked how she showed a marked improvement when she was learning to act, only she had her confidence from charisma make her complacent rather than motivate her to improve. Talking about how this series has been going, I think that the show has been a bit too static with how it has heaped on cynicism without actually taking it anywhere. The character writing is not bad, but as characters have failed to actually learn anything it has become a little worrying. Maybe we have seen the start of it as characters have started worrying about being unable to break out, relationships with their family, and Chitose is seeing that a lack of effort on her part has not continued the role she thought she was on.

Kuzu-P though is a douchebag, yet somehow he has a skill that lets him keep going and deflect the cynicism of others.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Not sure if it was so pervasive before, but I noticed a lot of use of blurring to give focus to different parts of scenes. and I thought that it was really well done. Especially since there was so much that needed to be said in the episode by reading between the lines.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
Looks like Chitose is pretty upset some hussy stole her brother from her. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the real reason she wanted to be a voice actress was to be close to Gojou (either as a manager or as a fellow actor).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Chitose end. Not sure what I mean when I wrote that, it just felt like a fitting thing to say. Chitose is self-centred, lazy and thinks very highly of herself, but she is not completely useless. The traits she has can be part of many people, it is only natural to act a bit that way when your ego is so easy to bruise that you are at threat of toppling over. But she kind of wears her heart on her sleeve, where her true self-centred thoughts are just underneath her face that anyone who really knows her can see what she really thinks, and is not really anything malicious. Her big ego can kind of push those around her to maybe be a bit egotistical themselves, to not doubt themselves as much as they might.

I think that is what this last episode kind of had, it was Chitose facing a situation beyond her control and still running to the destination. That she was expressing the personal journey, openly admitting her faults and still going because she can do what she can. Of course, there is all of the cynicism, it is Wataru Watari speciality, and by the end I don’t find it as mean, and it is fun with Chitose. Really his stuff is on despite the cynicism that you can still try to live life. I think an interesting part in a previous episode was of how Yae exclaimed her words can be a little cheap because she would just always make her say or even think the most positive thing. Perhaps the most positive thing Chitose did with her was accusing her of being dark hearted all the while treating her like anyone else.

I liked how the last episode included the small scene that we see Chitose’s wardrobe is filled with egg shirts, the fact she always seems to wear the same thing is obvious criticism for the show. Like it was the payoff to a long-standing joke. Really it kind of came down in still being allowed to be a bit self-assured in the so called cynical world/industry with people also along for the journey. Although I do kind of feel that Girlish Number is a little lower than Snafu, because I think it was a little hard to find what the message was.

Maybe really thinking about the what Girlish Number is, I will have to think about it with SNAFU. Now thinking like that, Chitose most resembles Iroha, the self-centred girl who puts on a cute face, yet also quick to show her true colours and cynical thoughts on things with people she could share the thoughts with or “don’t matter”. I don’t know about the general thoughts, but Iroha kind of became one of my favourite parts in the show, and now I see that Chitose is totally her, and that probably makes Gojou her Hachiman, with the focus instead coming across as siblings, and Gojou knows how to survive instead of just being a hopeless cynic.

Regardless, I give a rating for Girlish Number of Good (7/10), it is worth seeing. Nothing really big, and I have seen a few other shows do the voice actor thing better, but I think that it kind of has been worth seeing. It is making me ponder it all a bit, and the side characters were pretty cool.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I think that is what this last episode kind of had, it was Chitose facing a situation beyond her control and still running to the destination.

But it was her lack of professionalism in the previous episode that got her in that mess. And what she learned from that experience was to sleep late on the day of their last live performance. So more "fate of her own making" and as always "better late than never"... except for that trip episode which was "well, never's ok too."

For me, this was the worse show of the year. I could go into the gory details with things like story development, character arcs, backstory and its ending-and the total lack of any of them- but much like Chitose, it's time to move on...

To another project by the same crew featuring the same cast and by the same author. Here we go again?

I love Love SNAFU and I must have seen it at least five times but I'll never go back to this one. I don't do ratings but if I did, they would be colorful descriptions rather than letters or numbers. This one would be "roadkill". Dead on arrival and smells slightly.

Last thing: I too noted the outfit gag and thought it was the highlight of the episode. Nothing else actually happened that was, what's the word, entertaining.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac

I know that it sounds douchie, but perhaps you have not been watching correctly. Do you think Chitose was being shown as correct in her habit of sleeping in so late? A character (the positive thinking one) even notes that she did not have prior engagements that day. As a character piece, it was not at all on her habit being acceptable. Instead it was more about her not giving up after she has already made a mistake. That despite her flaws she actually has a pretty good charisma that can influence a room, and it relies on her staying positive.

I might ask what you like about SNAFU. Back when it aired many people seemed to take it as Hachiman being a hero because his self-sacrificing schemes showed a selfless heart despite his cold exterior, and that they got results at the cost of his own happiness. People posted pictures of him as Batman. I stand firm that this was completely missing the actual purpose, despite his schemes getting a happy result they were the incorrect ones.

The particular author seems to have a funny way of showing things in a very cynical way, that you see it as a problem being something like Hachiman can’t connect with other people so he should forego his happiness for others, or that the anime business is messed up and mismatched personalities in the business should just quit. But the writing is actually having the story turn in on itself. Hachiman’s spoiler[selfless behaviour is actually cruel to people around him, and for his own mental health he should be trying to have the relationships that leave him feeling exposed]. And there can be a power from the selfish, egotistical, and perhaps somewhat irresponsible traits, that sure there is a somewhat shallow nature to the industry, but it can also give something personally empowering to someone else.

The journey of Chitose’s selfish and lax attitude, to trying to learn from her mistakes, and improve herself one step at a time can give power to the “good” and “hardworking” people out there. It inspired her new kohai who seems very well suited for working hard, it can give confidence to those overcome with anxiety just before a performance, and can inform the shortcomings of someone who is being too kind and the boundaries of what they might want to do. A story like this can inform that, yeah you can make mistakes, and even if it was totally your own fault that things went badly, you can pick yourself up and try harder, and only then will you achieve some real growth. And be honest, it is probably less shallow in that message than something else that might try and play off the mistake as not really being their fault in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2