• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Strongest (And Strangest) Newtypes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, a fine article about Newtypes completely poisoned by bringing in CE era Gundam. That Newtype dolphin has more personality than Kira Yamato.

It's possible that Judau Ashta is the strongest Newtype in terms of sheer power, since he can put the parts of the ZZ together with his mind and even project an image of himself with his abilities. Kamille was powerful enough to lock up Scirocco's mobile suit controls. Amuro and Char's resonating pushed Axis away from its path. Banagher might be a cheat, since it's implied he was experimented with and may not be a completely natural Newtype.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
meiam wrote:
. And the seed things has pretty much nothing to do with him being a good pilot (I think he use it like 4 time total), it's about him being a coordinator (spoiler[and eventually it's revealed he's the ultimate coordinator]).

It's not actually. Otherwise, Cagalli wouldn't be able to use it as well as she's not a Coordinator. From what I remember of the original SEED, Kira does bring it up but it's a very minor moment that could easily be a blink and you miss it moment. He brings it up with Mwu during the desert arc and it's brought up by Waltfeld too. The later compares it to a Berserker of Norse mythology where its a state brought about from intense emotion, which explains why it triggers when it does.

It also explains why Shinn has it happen all the time (outside of lolstockfootage) in Destiny, given his anger issues.

What I mean t was, Kira is a godly pilot because he's a coordinator, seed has barely anything to do with that.
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Quote:
The mental energy is enough to kill antagonist Scirocco and badly scar Kamille, who proves to have the stronger mind simply by surviving this surge of psychological power.

There isn't really any indication Kamille was in danger from his own power. What screwed up his head was Scirocco's last psychic attack.

This is correct. Paptimus attacked Kamille after getting the o'le Zeta treatment. It's never indicated that Kamille did himself in.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
then they begin to refer to it as having high spatial awareness.

I think you have that backwards. I'm pretty sure the original description for the Moebius Zero mentioned the high spatial awareness so I don't think that was added later. The newtype flashes were added later past the initial airing though.

This is in line with the official description of the Moebius Zero. Pilots who could utilize the weapon pods to their full effect were those with high spatial awareness like Mu.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
For all extensive purposes they are low level newtypes which have some psychic abilities but nowhere the level of say an Amuro Ray, or Judau Ashta.

I don't think C.E. newtypes seemed as strong as higher end U.C. newtypes, but you also have to keep in mind that a lot of the U.C. newtype shenanigans is possible because they developed technology to assist with it (biosensor, psycho frame, etc). If you look at Amuro in First, he didn't really do anything much past what C.E. newtypes do. Of course there are U.C. newtypes like Judau that when angry exert enough mental pressure to scare the crap out of even a bad ass like Haman.

This is the big thing with the U.C. and their Newtypes. Some like Lalah, Kamille, and Judau show an ability to affect things with personal power alone while other Newtypes shine when their evolved brainwaves are amplified by the myriad devices descended from the original psycommu system.

This is why, for example, the Nu Gundam could push away Axis but the Unicorn could do so many other ridiculous things. The psychoframe used in both of these suits amplifies the power of the Newtype pilot. In the Nu Gundam, however, this was limited to a coating around the cockpit while in the Unicorn Gundam, the stuff was built throughout the entire frame and consequently, the suit was able to achieve more and more.

Quote:
More powerful than Char or Amuro, however, is the woman over whom they are rivals in love, Lalah.

Maybe this is just me but it's always felt as if the whole link between Char, Lalah, and Amuro was something beyond love as we think of it. I always had the sense that Lalah's strength was just so permeating that it practically subdued Char and Amuro to her. In CCA, especially, as Char and Amuro bicker over Lalah's death, Char says something like "she was like a mother to me" which always struck me as less literal and more to do with the fact that it was hard for him to put into words what she actually meant to him.

Thus what they were in contest over seems, to me, to be less about love in the romantic sense and almost something more akin to a conflict over who curried the most favor from her. If it helps any history buffs out there, the closest correlation I can think of is the patron-client relationship in the Roman Republic/Principate. Maybe I'll think of a better way to word it but I have to run off for most of the evening and I wanted to say my piece.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
What I mean t was, Kira is a godly pilot because he's a coordinator, seed has barely anything to do with that.

He wasn't able to curb stomp the ace coordinator pilots without SEED though. The difference between a coordinator before and after SEED is pretty drastic. SEED certainly isn't the only reason he is that good because Cagalli has it too and is no where near the coordinator pilots with SEED.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ugh, a fine article about Newtypes completely poisoned by bringing in CE era Gundam. That Newtype dolphin has more personality than Kira Yamato.

It's possible that Judau Ashta is the strongest Newtype in terms of sheer power, since he can put the parts of the ZZ together with his mind and even project an image of himself with his abilities. Kamille was powerful enough to lock up Scirocco's mobile suit controls. Amuro and Char's resonating pushed Axis away from its path. Banagher might be a cheat, since it's implied he was experimented with and may not be a completely natural Newtype.

And your constant bitching over it is poison to the site.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I confess that I've never understood why a number of folks dislike Kira. He's definitely one of my favorite Gundam pilots, and whereas a number of folks complained about him becoming prominent in Destiny making the show worse, I thought that it made it much better. Destiny is certainly horrible, but it was the returning cast from SEED that made it worth watching in spite of everything wrong with it IMHO, and it was particularly great to see Kira back in action. Except for a few characters, the new cast was mostly unlikeable - Shin especially. IMHO, he's very much in the running for the worst main character ever.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I like both SEED and SEED Destiny. And yes, I have watched every Gundam to date, so don't try to rationalize with petty conjecture on how that's possible because it just is. What I hate is how the fanbase is very particular on what a Gundam protagonist should be, ie, either a righteous goody or a Heero clone (Setsuna F. Seiei). Banagher is BORING.

Last edited by Topgunguy on Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, X-Rounders are more Newtype-ish than Coordinators. I think Flit Asuno should have been mentioned.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Wait wasn't there already a article like this whats the point in reading another...
Quote:
One is a dolphin.

SOLD!!!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I confess that I've never understood why a number of folks dislike Kira.

No discernible personality whatsoever, yet somehow wildly popular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I confess that I've never understood why a number of folks dislike Kira. He's definitely one of my favorite Gundam pilots, and whereas a number of folks complained about him becoming prominent in Destiny making the show worse, I thought that it made it much better. Destiny is certainly horrible, but it was the returning cast from SEED that made it worth watching in spite of everything wrong with it IMHO, and it was particularly great to see Kira back in action. Except for a few characters, the new cast was mostly unlikeable - Shin especially. IMHO, he's very much in the running for the worst main character ever.

I've heard that before too, but I don't get it. Even if they hated Kira, look at who his screen time ate into. Shin who is one of the most hated gundam pilots ever (and he was hated long before Kira stole the show back), and Athrun who the writers decided to take a giant dump on in Destiny (along with Cag). I mean I could see thinking him having a major part didn't make the show better, but worse... seems like a stretch.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

penguintruth, I didn't know you didn't like Gundam Seed.

Any one who can cause Haman Karn to run off to her room and cry like a little sissy definitely deserves props. I believe her quote was "I was merely flesh before him".

kazenoyume wrote:
SEED gives a human enhanced senses and peak physical fitness, but it lacks the very, very important psychic aspect, so it can hardly be called the 'same damn thing' as Newtype. It really shouldn't be on the list.

I always though that the seed state only made the person able to use a larger % of their brain capacity.

I just dug out the volume 6 booklet and this is what it says a SEED is:
Superior Evolutionary Element Destined-factor [Seed factor]
A factor that determines the course of a species' evolution. The existence of the SEED factor has yet to be proven, and it remains a subject of intense controversy in scientific circles. But in theory, those who possess the SEED factor have the ability to advance to the next stage of human evolution - an ability unrelated to whether the carrier is a Natural of a Coordinator.

I really don't think that helps anyone's argument, but there it is.Laughing

amagee wrote:
this is just me but it's always felt as if the whole link between Char, Lalah, and Amuro was something beyond love as we think of it. I always had the sense that Lalah's strength was just so permeating that it practically subdued Char and Amuro to her. In CCA, especially, as Char and Amuro bicker over Lalah's death, Char says something like "she was like a mother to me" which always struck me as less literal and more to do with the fact that it was hard for him to put into words what she actually meant to him.

I remember Char saying "she was supposed to be a mother to me" which I always took as meaning she was supposed to nurture his Newtype abilities.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Was wondering if that dolphin was going to make it into the list.

Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
In the Marvel universe, they're X-Men.

Mutants, actually.

I don't need to know which dracula I am to be a dracula.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Kalessin wrote:
I confess that I've never understood why a number of folks dislike Kira.

No discernible personality whatsoever, yet somehow wildly popular.

Did you even watch the series penguin-kun? spoiler[At first he acts like a friendly person who has a crush on one of his friends' fiance. Later, he accepts becoming a pilot but is constantly bothered by the constant racism some of the characters say about Coordinators and Naturals. He becomes even more conflicted about his will to fight when refusing Athrun's invitation to ZAFT. He then tries to retire from his work, but he is traumatized when he fails to protect a ship full of innocent civilians. From there, Kira becomes more determinated to use the Strike to protect his ship from ZAFT. He also becomes more isolated from his allies to the point he breaks up with Flay. After Athrun kills one of Kira's friends, both Kira and Athrun just start trying to kill each other. After he is treated from his fight, Kira realizes he still wants to be a pilot to save lives even if he is unable to end a war. In the latter part of the series, Kira is "basically broken" by Rau when he reveals his origins. Nevertheless, in their final fight Kira resolves to protect the world he still loves.

In Destiny, Kira appears to have developed feelings to Lacus but both retired from the military. They return to help Cagalli regain control of the neutral country of Orb while avoiding conflict with ZAFT. Because of this, Shinn is able to understand Kira's fighting style and defeats him. Later, he learns more about Shinn from Athrun and Kira and Shinn become friends in the ending. He also says to Durandal that now he will be a soldier forever while pointing a gun to him....]
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
No Setsuna F. Seiei from gundam 00?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4