• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Strongest (And Strangest) Newtypes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Hmmm, X-Rounders are more Newtype-ish than Coordinators. I think Flit Asuno should have been mentioned.
Nobody talks about AGE as far as Fandom goes that show doesn't exist.
hack5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

Did you even watch the series penguin-kun? spoiler[At first he acts like a friendly person who has a crush on one of his friends' fiance. Later, he accepts becoming a pilot but is constantly bothered by the constant racism some of the characters say about Coordinators and Naturals. He becomes even more conflicted about his will to fight when refusing Athrun's invitation to ZAFT. He then tries to retire from his work, but he is traumatized when he fails to protect a ship full of innocent civilians. From there, Kira becomes more determinated to use the Strike to protect his ship from ZAFT. He also becomes more isolated from his allies to the point he breaks up with Flay. After Athrun kills one of Kira's friends, both Kira and Athrun just start trying to kill each other. After he is treated from his fight, Kira realizes he still wants to be a pilot to save lives even if he is unable to end a war. In the latter part of the series, Kira is "basically broken" by Rau when he reveals his origins. Nevertheless, in their final fight Kira resolves to protect the world he still loves.

In Destiny, Kira appears to have developed feelings to Lacus but both retired from the military. They return to help Cagalli regain control of the neutral country of Orb while avoiding conflict with ZAFT. Because of this, Shinn is able to understand Kira's fighting style and defeats him. Later, he learns more about Shinn from Athrun and Kira and Shinn become friends in the ending. He also says to Durandal that now he will be a soldier forever while pointing a gun to him....]

Thank you,its stupid that some people think that kira has no personality i have seen worst,this is just another kira bashing article,its like what twelve years now i think its time to let it go,the article goes on to say quote "It's hard to relate to somebody this perfect" it may be hard for you because unlike you i try to relate to human aspect of the character,feeling and such in certain situations rather than the ability side of the character
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I think people are a little confused regarding Seed. There are three things in play, coordinator, seed mode and new type.

Kira is the only one that is all three(him and carnard are the only two UC, although carnard is a failed version).

Coordinator is the genetic modification of humans that allows them to be physically superior.

Seed mode is kind of a beserk/under pressure mode that has been activated by both coordinators and non coordinators. This is represented by the seed animation with their eyes glazing over.

And finally the unstated newtype, that as far as I know includes only Kira, Mu and Raul. Which is the Seed world is a very light version of the including the ability to sense one another, and some spatial awareness. This was basically represented with a light flash or none at all, and is most often seen when Mu and Raul sense each other.

To be fair to CE, like someone else said since CE had at least psudeo science behind the notion of the fighting prowess of the pilots with genetic augmentation there was no reason to rely on what is tantamount to space magic. Therefore the concept was less developed.

Honestly, I feel like people hate CE is because it improved a lot of things from UC. As mentioned earlier something somewhat plausible like genetic engineering gives some realistic explanation of the piloting capabilities. Even the story itself solidifies the conflict with a real world example of racism and humanities inability to accept anything different, paralleling the Nazi dogma of WWII. I felt like the conflict in the other series wasn't as fleshed out it always just seemed like designated good guys and designated bad guys.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Heh heh heh, noooo. SEED came off to me as a soulless, empty, amorphous trifle of a series. Instead of properly debating the ethics of genetic engineering on that level, especially given that only the privileged could afford to have their child engineered, they went with a simplistic "prejudice is bad" lesson that made all the characters opposed to Coordinators evil racists. The characters had no presence, no light to them, no charisma. Characters flitted in and out without having made an impression. There was never a moment that I watched a character appear and thought, "Oh man, that guy's back! Let's see what he's about to do!" It has no personality, no flavor. It just feels like really inferior afterbirth of the UC timeline dressed up for shallow 00s kids with horrid digipaint colors and sameface character designs.

Kira Yamato is a flat audience proxy, like a silent protagonist in a role playing video game. A weak, 1-dimensional vehicle and mouthpiece for the incompetent writer and director. I can only imagine his popularity is out of pure projection of the audience. Kamille Bidan is a character. Haman Karn is a character. Athrun Zala? Lacus Clyne? They're character models, character cut-outs. They feel like the cheap dollar store knock-off toys of the real things.

Like most Gundam titles made after Turn A Gundam, for me SEED was just 50 episodes of, "I've seen this done so much better."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:47 am Reply with quote
I will say this much about Kira Yamato, everyone seems to forget that he has battled tooth and nail for is pacifist ideals (especially in Gundam Seed) and even if he was "superior" to everyone else, doesn't mean that he didn't have to hone his skills and came close to death many time. He was just better at adapting.

However, the thing most people that give him grief seem to forget is that he was psychologically attacks though out the whole of Gundam Seed. He was left in pieces multiple times and had many metal breakdowns through out the series. Just because he survived and was superior then most of the other characters doesn't mean that he never lost a battle. There is many examples of where Kira had to make tough decisions, the result of which broke him psychologically and he considered his actions more of a loss than a win.

Say what you will about Kira Yamato, but he didn't just fall into the role that he plays, it was thrust upon him and he had to deal with it and sometime he broke under the wait of it. He is the most broken (psychologically) character in the Seed Universe because of the things he was forced to do and decisions he was forced to make BECAUSE of the abilities he possessed but never wanted and cursed them believing that if he wasn't the way he was he would need to be tested so gravely.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
I will say this much about Kira Yamato, everyone seems to forget that he has battled tooth and nail for is pacifist ideals (especially in Gundam Seed) and even if he was "superior" to everyone else, doesn't mean that he didn't have to hone his skills and came close to death many time. He was just better at adapting.

I said this earlier, but Kira isn't a pacifist. I don't know why that gets floated around so much. He decides to fix things with violence just like everyone else. That is not pacifism whatsoever. Just because he tries not to kill or he fights on the side of justice or whatever does not make it pacifism. That is like saying Batman is a pacifist because he doesn't kill people and fights evil. Uh, no. That isn't how pacifism works.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Rinkwolf wrote:

I said this earlier, but Kira isn't a pacifist. I don't know why that gets floated around so much. He decides to fix things with violence just like everyone else. That is not pacifism whatsoever. Just because he tries not to kill or he fights on the side of justice or whatever does not make it pacifism. That is like saying Batman is a pacifist because he doesn't kill people and fights evil. Uh, no. That isn't how pacifism works.

Okay, then just take the pacifist part out of my comment and go with that. He has to suffer a lot because of his ideals is the point of my comment there.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:40 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
meiam wrote:
. And the seed things has pretty much nothing to do with him being a good pilot (I think he use it like 4 time total), it's about him being a coordinator (spoiler[and eventually it's revealed he's the ultimate coordinator]).

It's not actually. Otherwise, Cagalli wouldn't be able to use it as well as she's not a Coordinator. From what I remember of the original SEED, Kira does bring it up but it's a very minor moment that could easily be a blink and you miss it moment. He brings it up with Mwu during the desert arc and it's brought up by Waltfeld too. The later compares it to a Berserker of Norse mythology where its a state brought about from intense emotion, which explains why it triggers when it does.

It also explains why Shinn has it happen all the time (outside of lolstockfootage) in Destiny, given his anger issues.

which is more or less the reason why he was the main since he's the polar opposite of kira. hell in some ways, he's like a tamed version of kamile. though i am more surprised that judau isnt more disliked since she turned the psychotic villainess haman into a puddy teenager. definitely a moment people can agree they didn't like. however compared to akame ga kill where esdeath turned into jelly over tatsumi (and we all know how that turned out in the end Mad ) , haman's jelly moment is rather tame,even though their way too similar for my taste.

SilverTalon01 wrote:
SEED isn't about being a coordinator because Cagalli also has it.
Actually she is a coordinator but was raised as a natural by the former leader of Orb. though it could have been easily missed by those that haven't thoroughly seen the last ten eps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
the-antihero wrote:
Hmmm, X-Rounders are more Newtype-ish than Coordinators. I think Flit Asuno should have been mentioned.
Nobody talks about AGE as far as Fandom goes that show doesn't exist.

I'm part of the fanbase. I talk about it. And I liked it. In fact, I liked it more than Unicorn which everyone flogs off to for mostly silly reasons. Because it makes nostalgic references.

Regarding the Kira hate, at least Kira acknowledged that the world is a crappy place and just has to deal with whatever comes in his way. Banagher just wines at how horrible the world is from start to finish. I'm not saying I hate Banagher and that this trait of his is not thoughtlessly done, but I'd rather Kira's character as an MC because his wasn't thoughtlessly done either. I'm looking at you Lockon Stratos!
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:44 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Kira Yamato is a flat audience proxy, like a silent protagonist in a role playing video game. A weak, 1-dimensional vehicle and mouthpiece for the incompetent writer and director. I can only imagine his popularity is out of pure projection of the audience. Kamille Bidan is a character. Haman Karn is a character. Athrun Zala? Lacus Clyne? They're character models, character cut-outs. They feel like the cheap dollar store knock-off toys of the real things.

I'm pretty sure you haven't watched the show then, Kira changes a lot throughout the 50 episode, he clearly isn't 1 dimensional even if you didn't like him. Heck Amuro and Kamille change less than him. And rather than just being good at piloting "because he read the manual" (how dumb is that?!) and is a space wizard, he was already working on mobile suit AND he's being genetically modified to be genius level at everything so he's a heck of a lot more believable.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Actually she is a coordinator but was raised as a natural by the former leader of Orb. though it could have been easily missed by those that haven't thoroughly seen the last ten eps.

Err it's been a long time since I watched any of the seed series but did they retcon something because unless that was the case I'm 100 % sure cagalli isn't a coordinator.
If you're using the time she entered SEED mode as a reference then I believe you misunderstood that scene because it was meant to show that naturals are capable of SEED mode and it's not exclusive to coordinators.
IIRC it was stated that the 'other' twin was completed unmodified in any way.

@Topgunguy
please no hate on lockon stratos, he was my favourite character and his spoiler[last words, "I couldn't change, so you'll have to change for me" ] made me cry
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

No, she isn't. Kira was taken out of their mother, enhanced, and put in the artificial womb. Nothing was done to Cagalli. There is absolutely nothing anywhere suggesting otherwise. Go ahead and try to point out a specific scene, but there isn't one.

There isn't a point in raising someone as a natural anyway. Her talents would give her away unless she was holding back, but Uzumi clearly didn't tell her squat about herself until he was on the way out. Uzumi specifically calls her a natural and Kira a coordinator. I mean he could have just lied to them during his pitch to get the AA crew to help, but why? In Destiny, Yuna Seiran says they're both naturals and makes a big deal out of having her distance herself from Athrun and Kira because they're coordinators. He does know Kira is her brother. There is absolutely no reason for her to hide being a coordinator if she was one at that point either assuming the information came from her because Orb is fine with coordinators (at least until tensions escalated right when Destiny started), and if Yuna knew from his own sources about the Hibiki kids, he would have known about it that way if she wasn't a natural.

meiam wrote:
I'm pretty sure you haven't watched the show then, Kira changes a lot throughout the 50 episode, he clearly isn't 1 dimensional even if you didn't like him. Heck Amuro and Kamille change less than him. And rather than just being good at piloting "because he read the manual" (how dumb is that?!) and is a space wizard, he was already working on mobile suit AND he's being genetically modified to be genius level at everything so he's a heck of a lot more believable.

The fact that I don't think being a space wizard vs SEED coordinator is relevant to being one dimensional aside, I have to agree. Kira actually has a lot going on. There is his conflict with having to fight and kill people, his conflict over having to choose between Athrun and his new friends / having a death match with Athrun to protect his new friends (not talking about the actual fight, but knowing that he will have to and then afterwards going forwards knowing they tried to kill each other), his struggle to accept being a coordinator, and of course those are just Kira's inner conflicts.

A one dimensional character by definition has no character growth, but Kira does grow as a character through dealing with those (and other) conflicts. At the start he is clinging to overly idealistic non-intervention and at most protecting his friends and is insecure with his own origins. By the end he realized problems don't disappear if you close your eyes and don't work to solve them, and he has realized that coordinator, natural, UC, doesn't really matter because people are people. That is clearly character growth.

I think there are plenty of reasonable reasons to hate the guy. One really common one when it was airing was that he was a giant crybaby, and hey, that is objectively true. Calling him one dimensional though is a bunch of BS.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Lalah make brief cameo in Gundam Reconguista in G, when G-Reco made it's unplanned re-entry into Earth's atmosphere and swan like force field popped up around the suit?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
or a Heero clone (Setsuna F. Seiei). .

Setsuna actually felt like he had more nuances to his personality and also didn't feel stuck killing someone because they saw his face and his gundam Razz
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised you didn't mention D.O.M.E. from Gundam X who is both weird and powerful being that spoiler[it is what remains of the first Newtype in the After War timeline and has a goddamned army mobile bits all armed with Satellite Cannons.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4