• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus USA Delays Persona 5 to April 4, Adds Japanese Voice-Over DLC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:59 am Reply with quote
Pc version when?
*notices that the entirety of Persona saga has never receive a PC release*
Oh, never mind. Have fun, everyone else that owned a console. Anime cry
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:43 am Reply with quote
Bloodgod wrote:
As much as I would love to have the dub whiners/haters to blame this on, does the delay even have anything to do with them adding dual audio? Because it does not sound like that is the case.

Well, one of the given reasons was to "dub more lines" into English.
So in a way dual audio is to blame. Just not the Japanese side of it.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
Thanks a lot, weeaboos. That's another two months I have to spend dodging spoilers because you whiners didn't like the dub before you even listened to it.

Screw this. This game is a lost cause. By the time this game comes out, I'll probably have already learned the plot from pages that didn't give spoiler warnings. Atlus has really been pushing their luck since the 12th "Persona 4" spin-off.

You know, maybe some people just want to enjoy the game with the Japanese audio, but may not be able to read Japanese, and thus wanted this option. Maybe for those people, it doesn't have anything to do with being grateful about an English dub. Sounds like your complaining is a bit much in my opinion. I'm guessing you must have been really looking forward to the game if another two months is getting you this riled up. I don't know what parts of the internet you're browsing, but I doubt it's that much of a chore to avoid whatever you're surfing through that is littered with these supposed spoilers you're bringing up.

Mind you, I'm not even a fan of this series. I've just never really gotten into it, but finally getting a Japanese audio option in these games is a step in the right direction if I do say so myself.

This wouldn't be a problem if the game didn't already get delayed twice before its Japanese release and we weren't waiting more than half a year for this game in an era where localizing games nowadays takes at most a month. With P4AU and DAN coming out just a month apart from Japan, and FFXV coming out the same day as Japan, there's really no excuse.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
As I have said before, this doesn't matter. Animation is the only medium outside of radio where voice acting matters, particularly anime. Voice acting is detrimental to video games. It costs millions to hire voice actors in union works. That could be used to fixing glitches and control problems. But no, people think that voice acting in video games is comparable, if not more important than it is in anime.
Fouad02000

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
is this game gonna get a english ps3 release ?
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Fouad02000 wrote:
is this game gonna get a english ps3 release ?

Yes. PS3 is the original Dev platform.

But if you want the Collector's Edition with all the goodies that's only for PS4.

NieR wrote:
I've never downloaded DLC content though. Do you just need to have a Playstation account and go to the options on the game screen menu to save the DLC content onto your game disc?

Yes you'll need a PSN account. It's free. The only portion you pay for is if you want to play some online games and that's only for PS4, PS3 online gaming is free.

No idea if the option will be available from the game menu to download the DLC, but if not just search on the PSN store and download it. It'll download to your hard drive. No idea how bug the file will be, but I assume it'll be fairly substantial so make sure you have enough HDD space.

Vannil wrote:
sailorsweeper wrote:
I have a feeling that Atlus couldn't finish in time for February so they included the JP Audio as peace offering and way to increase sales from the Japanese VO fans who didn't import.

If it was for that reason, they wouldn't have added the Japanese audio since they would have to do more work just make sure there wouldn't be issues. They may be delaying to make it compatible with PS4 Pro or there may be some huge story dlc coming that hasn't been announced or that was the soonest one of the VA's agencies would allow them to be used for overseas use. We probably won't ever know.

There is some speculation that the delay might've been mandated by the Japanese side so as to deter reverse importation.

But even then, the green light to include Japanese VA means more testing, particularly when it comes to timing subtitles etc. So about a month+ delay sounds reasonable.

There could also be other things they still need some time to get right.

#825565 wrote:
You're dumb, the japanese audio is already in the game, in fact it's pretty obvious that the delay is because
1-Their Voice Actors are shit and can't even pronounce the name of their characters as we've seen
2-ATLUS USA couldn't keep up with the deadline to localize the game
3-They don't want to be in the same quarter as FFXV both being long JRPGs and FF being much more popular of course

The delay doesn't add enough time to redo any dubbing, other than maybe re-do some light pick-ups. Undoubtedly a last minute decision to include the Japanese audio would require more time to implement and test, though there could be other things they still need more time to finish. And considering FF is releasing in a little more than a week's time, the previous P5 release date was sufficiently far out.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
As I have said before, this doesn't matter. Animation is the only medium outside of radio where voice acting matters, particularly anime. Voice acting is detrimental to video games. It costs millions to hire voice actors in union works. That could be used to fixing glitches and control problems. But no, people think that voice acting in video games is comparable, if not more important than it is in anime.

With all due respect, you're mistaken. Lots of gaming titles, particularly those for console gaming, would be dull without voice acting to give players an interaction towards the characters within them.
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

With all due respect, you're mistaken. Lots of gaming titles, particularly those for console gaming, would be dull without voice acting to give players an interaction towards the characters within them.

It's hard for me to even imagine playing a Resident Evil game without voice acting and even the original from 20 years ago, all the way back in 1996 was chocked full of voice acting. Oh and what incredibly hilarious and cheesy voice acting it was...! The game definitely would have been incredibly dull without it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtTfptkUgj0

Now imagine that without any voice acting and just text boxes for dialog. Sounds way more boring imagining it doesn't it?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
^
Yes, the voice-acting in the original game of Resident Evil was indeed awkward. But it did sound fun for its time. Wink
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Ummmmm no we don't some of us just want the game regardless of whether someone's name is pronounced properly or not in english.

Okay.....

By "dub fans" I mean people who actually prefer English dubs in anime/games in general. Believe it or not, many of us exist.

I'm not talking about people who don't care either way and just want this game asap. Though, I guess I feel your pain on that, as we all do.

Yuvelir wrote:
Well, one of the given reasons was to "dub more lines" into English.
So in a way dual audio is to blame. Just not the Japanese side of it.

Touche. That's an interesting way of putting it, for sure. But I doubt the delay is just for that reason.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
This wouldn't be a problem if the game didn't already get delayed twice before its Japanese release and we weren't waiting more than half a year for this game in an era where localizing games nowadays takes at most a month.

I don't think it takes a month unless the game was planned for a worldwide release.

Animeking1108 wrote:
With P4AU and DAN coming out just a month apart from Japan,

P4AU came out a month after the Japanese release......in North America, whereas it took Europe 3 months to get it. Whereas DAN was released 3 months behind the Japanese release in North America, it took Europe 4 months to get it.

Animeking1108 wrote:
and FFXV coming out the same day as Japan, there's really no excuse.

15 was planned for a simultaneous release because the FF games are considerably more popular to warrant it. Persona 5 (as is the case with most of Atlus's games) wasn't do to it being less so and a bit more niche.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Yes, because the horrible voice acting from Sonic Adventure added to the game in any way. The horrible voice acting from Street Fighter 1 added to that game. As if.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
With how often Atlus whores out the "Persona" branch of the SMT franchise, can we really say it's niche anymore?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
With how often Atlus whores out the "Persona" branch of the SMT franchise, can we really say it's niche anymore?

Successful niche stuff tends to be whored out to the max actually.
Neptunia is pretty much a yearly franchise and it couldn't be any more niche.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Yes, because the horrible voice acting from Sonic Adventure added to the game in any way. The horrible voice acting from Street Fighter 1 added to that game. As if.

You're cherry-picking your examples or simply don't know what you're writing about, the first one is a platformer, the other one a fighting game. Not to mention both are a few decades old which merely received enhanced ports some years back...

In contrast most modern rpgs benefit a lot from good voice acting, Persona included. Not to mention visual novels which lately have had a resurgence in the West...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5