• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Announces Splatoon 2 Game For Switch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
Aw yeah, this is gonna be glorious. I was quite pumped when I saw this one during the Switch presentation. Also, will that pigeon be important?

I look forward to that rain cloud special weapon, in any case. It's neat they were able to come up with more special weapons, and it seems this time there will be some low-damage, high-inking ones.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Aw yeah, this is gonna be glorious. I was quite pumped when I saw this one during the Switch presentation. Also, will that pigeon be important?

I look forward to that rain cloud special weapon, in any case. It's neat they were able to come up with more special weapons, and it seems this time there will be some low-damage, high-inking ones.

The thing that had me most hyped was the rolling!

Are they adding in Dark Souls-like PVP mechanics? Or is it a perk for just that dual wielding type and runs off some other gauge?

Also that big laser-ink like weapon looks awesome. Probably extremely difficult to use effectively but awesome.

That's one of the things that's so awesome about splatoon: You have rollers which are really really simple to be decently effective with, and shooters which are tricky to do well but not so hard, and chargers which are high skill but high reward. You always feel like you're contributing no matter how crappy you're playing (well, almost always). I hope with splatoon 2 they keep diversifying both on the high-level side as well as the "pick up and play" side... and from the trailer it looks like that's exactly what they've done (dual wielders = simple, laser = hard? probably).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The thing that had me most hyped was the rolling!

Are they adding in Dark Souls-like PVP mechanics? Or is it a perk for just that dual wielding type and runs off some other gauge?

Looking at this photo someone obtained of a facts card (or whatever it is), rolling is specific to the Splat Dualies. You do it by pressing the jump button as you're shooting, which means while you're wielding the Splat Dualies, you cannot jump and shoot at the same time. According to some people who got to play the game, rolling consumes a slight amount of ink.

(That photo also shows the new bomb to actually be called the Curling Bomb. That was really unexpected.)

samuelp wrote:
Also that big laser-ink like weapon looks awesome. Probably extremely difficult to use effectively but awesome.

If by the laser ink weapon you mean that high-pressure concentrated spray, I have no idea what it does. My guess is that it covers a wide area with ink but doesn't do much damage, like the ink cloud. That'd be an interesting idea, really: Special weapons oriented towards inking rather than splatting. All of the ones in Splatoon 1 are geared towards splatting, if only indirectly (like the Echolocator and Bubbler). It'd be interesting to see ones simply meant to cover a wide area with ink, though I'd also wonder what they'll do to prevent people from just holding onto the weapon in Turf Wars and using it in the last few seconds. We're already seeing Inkstrikes used as kingmakers, and those cover way less ground than that ink cloud, for instance.

samuelp wrote:
That's one of the things that's so awesome about splatoon: You have rollers which are really really simple to be decently effective with, and shooters which are tricky to do well but not so hard, and chargers which are high skill but high reward. You always feel like you're contributing no matter how crappy you're playing (well, almost always). I hope with splatoon 2 they keep diversifying both on the high-level side as well as the "pick up and play" side... and from the trailer it looks like that's exactly what they've done (dual wielders = simple, laser = hard? probably).

Within each weapon class, also, there are different difficulty levels. Rollers are definitely a beginner-friendly weapon in general, but the Carbon Rollers and Dynamo Rollers are not. Especially with what people are most often using the Carbon Rollers for nowadays, which is picking a choke point, hiding in a tiny difficult-to-notice splotch of ink, and ambushing opponents who come close.

But yeah, no matter how badly someone plays, I very rarely see someone so incompetent that the team is better off without them. At least in Turf Wars...In Ranked, someone who doesn't know the rules or is too afraid to take risks might very well be destructive to the team.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1