• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Record of Lodoss War: The Grey Witch Novel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I wish they would release or enhance and release the Record of Lodoss War anime on blu ray. I love DnD style fantasy and anime so seeing them together would be great.
誤称

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Why are they skipping "The Lady of Pharis"?

This is only one book in a series, will they have the rest?

Will this be on Kindle?

So many questions....
adam_omega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:

1988's The Grey Witch is the first novel in the series.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
YES!! I've been hoping to read this for 20 years. Never thought I'd see the day. Can't wait. Very Happy

誤称 wrote:

I'm no expert, but I believe the Replay RPGs came first, then the first actual Record of Lodoss War Novel (The Gray Witch) along with the other novels, and afterward Mizuno wrote a series of Legend of Lodoss novels which the Pharis prequel manga was later based on. I can't find any confirmation of a single "Lady of Pharis" novel in Japanese, but I didn't search extensively. The English Wikipedia lists it, without any corresponding Japanese title, which could just be a mistake, as most other sources I've found support the "Lady of Pharis" manga being based on the "Legend of Lodoss" novel series.

Either way, The Gray Witch is definitely the first (novelized) work.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Dang, this company is licensing a lot of manga versions of classic literature and manga classics this. I wonder how this became a trend.
誤称

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
誤称 wrote:

1988's The Grey Witch is the first novel in the series.

How about putting it on Kindle?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Sweet I really like Record of Lodoss War and now I get to read it
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Dang, Seven Seas is on a roll this week with all these modern takes on classics and, of course, actual classics.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice, looking forward to it, but I also really just want Lodoss on BD =/
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
I hope their licensing will some day continue with the New Record of Lodoss War series. It's hard finding information about it in English.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
All I can say is, it's about time somebody got around to doing this.

Folks, if you love the anime, you want to read these.

Good as it is, the OVA is not a shot-for-shot adaptation; there's quite a bit of good stuff in there that'll be new to you, including two whole books (#2 and #5) which both anime adaptations completely skipped over. The Fire Dragon Mountain story in books 3-4 is better than either anime version IMO, and the finale in 6-7 I consider an improvement as well.

The Legend of Lodoss series is indeed a prequel. It follows the adventures of the Six Heroes whom a minstrel sings of in the OVA.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God!! Finally a thin ray of light at the end of the tunnel! (for this title)
I had to wait 2006 to be able to read this (pretty standard fantasy, I know) novel thanks to a french publisher and I was so glad... until they decided to give up their full japanese fantasy line-up (including Arslan and some other big names). In the end, we were only blessed by the 4 first tomes, ending the series on a writer's note mentioning the 5th and 6th tomes. -_-'

Can anyone enlighten me about this 2013 japanese edition? Does it still include Izubuchi's art ? Or did it change the covers? Are the tomes 3 and 4 united in a single one ? (because the 4 is so thin...) etc

About this novel series, it came indeed after the replays. Among other things, it would have been impossible to publish them as books because of rights (D&D and some works used as inspiration, I suppose) so it had to be rewritten as a full novel. (plus there were parts the world creator did imagine but didn't transcript in the game). But I must admit that looking at the drawings alone makes me want to read this version: https://togetter.com/li/562880

Some questions to informed people: was any other part of this universe (like Crystania, Louie, etc) born from replays/game sessions?
And is any other Mizuno book available in a western language?
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Nice, looking forward to it, but I also really just want Lodoss on BD =/

You and me both. Since the old US Manga folded, I fear the Lodoss OVA is in licensing hell.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I have the original Lodoss OVA.. the one with Parm and Deedlit. and I really enjoyed it. Was one of my first anime series ever purchased back on the days of VHS.. then eventually DVD.

Then they released a short TV series.. (ok not so short 27 episodes) and when Deedlit and Parm left... which I think was episode 2... I tuned out.

As for a BD of this?.. meh. I'm not against it but this series is like Bastard!! OVAs from the early 90's and it will probably look worse without a remaster.

Just saying.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
Some questions to informed people: was any other part of this universe (like Crystania, Louie, etc) born from replays/game sessions?
And is any other Mizuno book available in a western language?

IIRC, both Crystania and Louie were written directly as novels. I can't find any info that regards them as replays. I heard it's the same for the Lodoss prequel/sequel novels, but I might be wrong.

I think there's an English fan translation of the Louie novels somewhere on the web.

A couple of weeks back, there was also news on ANN about another series of Mizuno's fantasy novels being adapted into anime. I forgot its title. I think it had something to do with dragons. Still, I'm really looking forward to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2