• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ghibli, Wild Bunch's The Red Turtle Film Nominated for Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phantomfandom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Ahiru77 wrote:

Thanks for the knowledge. Very Happy

Puts everyhting into perspective.

But maybe the real reason is that Makoto was once gave an interview on how he want people to stop seeing his film, so film awards listen to him and give award to other features (I'm just kidding though, but he really shouldn't gave that interview)
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
As much as I'd love seeing The Red Turtle win, everyone knows Disney bought the awards.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Of the titles that did make it, the one I most want to see win is Kubo and the Two Strings, which I thought was a lovely, imaginative work with some real depth. I suspect, however, that the award will go to the much-lauded Zootopia instead.

My thoughts exactly.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Like any ceremony, I'm saddened that some people or movies didn't get nominations, and Your Name is obviously one of them. I seriously attribute this to Funimation's heavy under-promotion, since the dub isn't even out yet and was given to Michael Sinterinklaas of all people, and the film was never in any theaters here in the States. Hopefully, Funimation Films (as a two-year-old company) will use this as a lesson for the future (maybe for Mamoru Hosoda's next work?), even if it's sad that Your Name of all movies is what got the shaft. But let's be honest - this film will at least still have a lasting legacy, and was nominated for several other American awards (including two Annie Award nominations, a Satellite nomination, and a LAFCA win).
phantomfandom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Like any ceremony, I'm saddened that some people or movies didn't get nominations, and Your Name is obviously one of them. I seriously attribute this to Funimation's heavy under-promotion, since the dub isn't even out yet and was given to Michael Sinterinklaas of all people, and the film was never in any theaters here in the States. Hopefully, Funimation Films (as a two-year-old company) will use this as a lesson for the future (maybe for Mamoru Hosoda's next work?), even if it's sad that Your Name of all movies is what got the shaft. But let's be honest - this film will at least still have a lasting legacy, and was nominated for several other American awards (including two Annie Award nominations, a Satellite nomination, and a LAFCA win).

Funimation already did in efficient way, they're saving money to use in case Your Name get nominated. The reason Funimation didn't make any move in nomination process is because Oscars rule state that all voters for animated feature category must watch at least 66% of all eligible film (in this year 18 out of 27) so there's high chance that the voters get to see Your Name even without a big PR. What can't be help is the taste of the voters, they see, they may like it or not but obviously they are not rooting for Your Name.

But after nominees are announce it'll turn into popular vote as any voters can vote for the winning film without watching requirement.
whitesox123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
xyz wrote:
The list is solid and I'm glad your name isn't nominated.
Well at least your name would of had a chance of winning. Unlike this film.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I knew Funimation ruined Your Name's chances, unfortunately. It needed more of a chance to be seen in North America than it had.

I'll admit that the only title I've seen from this list is Kubo, and I found it uneven. It also had an extremely strange undercurrent theme in it that associated blindness with evil, which was very disconcerting to me as someone with a visual impairment.

I'm excited about My Life as a Zucchini, though. I've heard good things about that one!
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Reminder that The Red Turtle hasn't been added to the ANN Encyclopedia yet: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/error-report.php?code=AI-2110041637
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Not that I want to get into the whole, "what is and is not anime?" quagmire, but I'm not sure The Red Turtle is an anime film. I saw a screening of it at TIFF and the director, Michaël Dudok de Wit, was there to say a few words and answer some questions. From what I understand, no Studio Ghibli animators, for example, actually worked on the film. It seems like it was more of a case that the director (who also co-wrote the script) would send them stuff and get their feedback. Studio Ghibli I believe acted more as a consultant than an actual hands-on co-producer.
xyz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
whitesox123 wrote:
xyz wrote:

Well the fact that it's already eliminated means it has no chance to begin with. I think Kubo, Red Turtle and Zootopia have good chance to win.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
since the dub isn't even out yet

Maybe not in the USA but it has been showing with English dub in Australia since 24 November 2016.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Usually, the nominees are Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks (or Illumination, if they had a hit), Generously Animator-Noticed Indie Arthouse Film #1, and Generously Animator-Noticed Indie Arthouse Film #2 (so the first one won't seem "token").

Surprise was that:
A) People finally DID admit that Pixar's Finding Dory just wasn't that darn great (Dory's memory is because she's a fish, not because she's "handicapped", the movie started wrong and went PC-gushily from there), and
B) With Dreamworks finally for all purposes dead and buried, there's no longer any industry obligation to pretend "Trolls" was an actual movie this year. Surprise about "Secret Life of Pets" not getting an "It must be good, it made money!" mainstream-animation nod this year in its place.

Kubo always had a spot as GANIAF-1, but no one thought Zucchini had a chance of beating Red Turtle for the GANIAF-2 spot. There's rarely been a year with a GANIAF-3, unless it was an 00's year Pixar was sitting out and Disney dropped the ball.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is more deserving of an Oscar than any Ghibli film.
whitesox123

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
xyz wrote:
whitesox123 wrote:
xyz wrote:

Well the fact that it's already eliminated means it has no chance to begin with. I think Kubo, Red Turtle and Zootopia have good chance to win.
Zootopia only because its not foreign.
robertbaldie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Funi really fucked up here. Should've released it nationwide back when Australia did in November. Would've given it the perfect lead in timing wise.
Really disappointing.
I'm glad to see The Red Turtle get a nom, from an animation stand point I really liked it, but I didn't think the story was anything spectacular, and out of it and your name., the latter was the only one that had a chance at beating off the competition.
Just really disappointing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3