• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Izetta: The Last Witch Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
For me Izetta was just a kind of meh series that I could only recommend if someone likes military technology or kind of ham handed alternative history.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
So sad, I loved this show start to finish. A few hiccups here and there maybe but it was a solidly entertaining show start to finish. I guess I can't be too surprised it didn't top anyone's lists last year but glad it didn't make many worst of lists either. One wish we could have had a fully fleshed out history of Izetta and Fine, beyond a few flash backs we see in the show, but that's the bummer of being stuck with 12 episodes. So many anime are feeling the crunch under the shorter formats in recent years I really wish the tide of that can change.

I think it was a lot better than First Squad which had similar ideas. (very different not saying they're exactly alike). Plus fun to see a WWII story that's not another Grave of the Fireflies for a change. (That being said, I did enjoy Giovanni's Island and want to see in this Corner of the World) It's pretty safe to say Japan won't produce a gritty combat focus WWII story (too much baggage with that).
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:43 am Reply with quote
That's the funny thing about expectations, isn't it? By coming into a show with a preconceived notion of how you want it to turn out, you're going to be disappointed every step of the way if it doesn't follow your set vision for it. Believe me, I know. Honestly, this is one of the reasons I feel we should have everything spoiled for us from the beginning, but I digress.

Personally, I always try to enjoy a show for what it is, instead of what I think it should be. Because I came into Izetta with zero expectations, I was captivated by the premise, execution and animation. I found myself riveted to the screen during the well-animated and imaginative battles and high-stakes and suspenseful moments, shocked when new and unexpected developments occurred and pining for more when the end credits rolled around.

I do enjoy it when the occult is injected into a rather realistic setting and I think they did a great job of juxtaposing the two. The magic and mechanics were well-fleshed out and I adored Izetta herself. (The fact that she's a spitting image of Tsugumi from Kannagi sure helps things a lot.) Also, I know that some people say that killing characters off can feel like cheap "emotional manipulation". For me, it made the series that much graver and unpredictable as you never knew what was going to happen next. It was cruel and heavily drove home the dire and frantic war-like atmosphere. In the same vein, the power struggle between the various factions and the exploration of the consequences of wielding great power (cue Uncle Ben) were welcome additions.

While I think her surviving at the end took away from the impact of her sacrifice, I cannot say that I'm not happy to see that Izetta managed to get a happy end with Fine, albeit at a cost. The themes of "the needs of the many versus the needs of the few" was well done and I loved how Fine and Izetta was again juxtaposed with Sophie in this regard. That is one of the reasons as to why I thought the end was okay. They didn't know that Izetta was going to survive. They were prepared to go all the way and that was all that mattered. Speaking of which, I actually really liked the ending. They did cover all their bases by foreshadowing everything and I'm glad to see that everything was built up nicely.

It started and ended with the focus on the relationship of Fine and Izetta and if you ask me, that's all it needed to be. I give this show a perfect Nausicaa LaLaLa/10.

(I want an Izetta top-down shooting game. Seriously, the concepts of this show translated to phenomenal game mechanics. The possibilities are endless!)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
I am guessing Yoshino is a GL or likes to have that in his stories. At least the GL vibes here were tame compared to what he did with "Seikon no Qwaser" (a main reason why I have almost dropped the manga version).
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:25 am Reply with quote
Anyone else think that stone had to be the most harmless life draining stone in existence? I mean if you can use all the worlds magic and you still don't die was there ever really a risk? Also the worlds magic doesn't replenish over time? Wasn't the old map they found still relevant even though years had passed and those magic veins would have been drained which in turn would alter the map. And I find it hard to believe that removing all the magic from the a earth would not have any adverse side effects. I have many more gripes but I think that is enough ranting. Maybe if they had 12 more episodes they could of came up with a better nonsensical plan.

With all that said I really did enjoy the show until, if i remember correctly, around the 10th episode when things seemed to get rushed. Although I never did like Fiine always felt like she was just using Izetta...
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Anyone else think that stone had to be the most harmless life draining stone in existence? I mean if you can use all the worlds magic and you still don't die was there ever really a risk? Also the worlds magic doesn't replenish over time? Wasn't the old map they found still relevant even though years had passed and those magic veins would have been drained which in turn would alter the map. And I find it hard to believe that removing all the magic from the a earth would not have any adverse side effects. I have many more gripes but I think that is enough ranting. Maybe if they had 12 more episodes they could of came up with a better nonsensical plan.

With all that said I really did enjoy the show until, if i remember correctly, around the 10th episode when things seemed to get rushed. Although I never did like Fiine always felt like she was just using Izetta...

Well, her grandmother did mention that she was the most powerful witch in several generations... Perhaps that is why she was able to survive using that much power at once? spoiler[You'll notice that she did remain permanently disabled and they never showed her face afterward...]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
While overall, I liked the story and agree it had much more potential than it delivered, it went off the rails for me when they resorted to cloning to "cook up" an antagonist for Izetta. Some of the tech, like the cryo-module, was a stretch already but not too far from what would have been possible, but even some 80 years later we still can't clone people from DNA scraps. And the "magic stone" with Herr Mueller's family connection came conveniently from nowhere...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately or unfortunately I saw where this was going pretty quickly. I wanted a personal story, not a half-baked War story. I think its still sitting in my queue unfinished but after the scene with the two militarily generals walking out in the open loudly talking about their greatest military secret I seemed to give up. That I got that far was surprising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2