Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Anime's New Character Video Highlights Todoroki, Tokoyami




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GamerTimeUSA



Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 149
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
YES!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireballDragon



Joined: 17 Nov 2014
Posts: 601
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I really don't like Todoroki. It just seems that there's nothing more to his character than "WAH-WAH, I HATE MY DAD, BOO-HOO!"

And people keep comparing Bakugo to Sasuke when DaddyHater McAngstBrood is clearly more like him. Bakugo's more like Vegeta anyway, come on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shirohae



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 776
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Two of my favorite characters! HYPE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shirohae



Joined: 19 Sep 2014
Posts: 776
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Eh, I really don't like Todoroki. It just seems that there's nothing more to his character than "WAH-WAH, I HATE MY DAD, BOO-HOO!"

And people keep comparing Bakugo to Sasuke when DaddyHater McAngstBrood is clearly more like him. Bakugo's more like Vegeta anyway, come on.


If you read the manga, you clearly don't understand his situation..He hates his dad for a reason and I don't even hate him for it. His dad is an asshole, well an asshole in GENERAL to everyone...But don't worry, he will change afterwards and thats why I like him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrozenMoon



Joined: 04 Dec 2016
Posts: 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Shirohae wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
Eh, I really don't like Todoroki. It just seems that there's nothing more to his character than "WAH-WAH, I HATE MY DAD, BOO-HOO!"

And people keep comparing Bakugo to Sasuke when DaddyHater McAngstBrood is clearly more like him. Bakugo's more like Vegeta anyway, come on.


If you read the manga, you clearly don't understand his situation..He hates his dad for a reason and I don't even hate him for it. His dad is an asshole, well an asshole in GENERAL to everyone...But don't worry, he will change afterwards and thats why I like him.


Thanks 'Shirohae', I'm glad you understand his character. I think Todoroki is a really well written character and his situation with his father is a rough one, but there's a lot more depth to his character and his acceptance of his parents that makes him a really good character, along with other traits to make him really unique. I could write an a massive spoiler essay on why I understand Torodoki's problems with his father, but that'd probably be a waste of time. I think 'FireballDragon' is looking only at the surface of the situation and the surface of his Torodoki's character, which is a shame but what can you do when other people have weirdly non empathetic opinions that make them perceive a character in a negative way? The answer is there's nothing to do most of the time, these kind of people are usually set in their ways like recently dried cement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireballDragon



Joined: 17 Nov 2014
Posts: 601
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
FrozenMoon wrote:
Shirohae wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
Eh, I really don't like Todoroki. It just seems that there's nothing more to his character than "WAH-WAH, I HATE MY DAD, BOO-HOO!"

And people keep comparing Bakugo to Sasuke when DaddyHater McAngstBrood is clearly more like him. Bakugo's more like Vegeta anyway, come on.


If you read the manga, you clearly don't understand his situation..He hates his dad for a reason and I don't even hate him for it. His dad is an asshole, well an asshole in GENERAL to everyone...But don't worry, he will change afterwards and thats why I like him.


Thanks 'Shirohae', I'm glad you understand his character. I think Todoroki is a really well written character and his situation with his father is a rough one, but there's a lot more depth to his character and his acceptance of his parents that makes him a really good character, along with other traits to make him really unique. I could write an a massive spoiler essay on why I understand Torodoki's problems with his father, but that'd probably be a waste of time. I think 'FireballDragon' is looking only at the surface of the situation and the surface of his Torodoki's character, which is a shame but what can you do when other people have weirdly non empathetic opinions that make them perceive a character in a negative way? The answer is there's nothing to do most of the time, these kind of people are usually set in their ways like recently dried cement.


I'm sorry, are you mocking me? I've read the manga, and I'm currently caught up. And yes, I've passed the part where spoiler[Todoroki didn't get his Provisional License because of his quarrel with Yoarashi. He even admitted it to himself that he let his hatred of his father get to him too much, to the point where it heavily influenced many of his actions.]

Nearly all of Todoroki's major actions, when not fighting villains with his classmates were influenced by how much he hates his dad. He refused to use his fire powers he inherited from his dad. When Izuku encourages him to use them, he retorts with "did my bastard of a father pay you off or something?" This kid is clearly obsessed with his dad, in a negative way, obviously, and while I do realize he's gonna grow out of it sooner or later, it's still pretty goddamn annoying to have to deal with currently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrozenMoon



Joined: 04 Dec 2016
Posts: 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
...


I apologize if it came across as me mocking you but that's not my personal intent, more just that I highly disagree with your perception of the situation and know that isn't something I can change, even if I tried to explain my view point the conversation it would most likely just go back and fourth for hours and neither of us would be budge an inch. I've been through this entire situation with many people over the years with very similar topics. If it makes you feel better I am self admittedly also equally stuck in my mindsets like recently dried cement. I'm glad you're actually caught up on the material and NOT just speaking based off loose knowledge, that's at least something I can respect. I don't want to argue and drag out this conversation for hours but I'll give you the run down that makes me understand Todoroki's character. MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS! spoiler[His characters revolves around his dad and his family, yes this is true, however I really understand why that is: His siblings are basically failed experiments of his father, Todoroki is the youngest sibling in his family and his father's only purpose was to have a child whose powers could possibly surpass All Might, with no regard for this children and their own will. No regard or care for Todoroki's mother either, it was at least implied that was a terrible husband to her and very abusive, he only married her so he could make her produce a child that could have her and his powers, this relationship caused Todoroki's mother to snap and in a blind rage pour boiling water on the half of Todoroki's face that reminded her of his father. All of Todoroki's siblings are just failed children that merely weren't born with the powers Torodoki's father desired in an offspring, so he kept having children until Todoroki was born. Now in this situation Todoroki's father has no regard or care about him as a person, his father only wants to inflate his own ego and self image by showing the world this child he created, all of this simply because Todoroki's father wanted to stop being the second ranked hero to All Might, because of this petty desire he had a child that he believed he could groom into the number one hero. Which makes Todoroki's relationship with Deku very interesting, since part of Deku's goal is to use All Might's power and make him proud by becoming the top hero himself, this is very different then Todoroki because Deku LOVES All Might like a mentor and father figure. All of these factors makes complete sense to me for Todoroki's base of his character to completely revolve around his father, which I think it's incredibly well set up and thought out, all to evolve his character to be his own person and not just his father's puppet. Shifting the topic over to something you don't have to care about and probably won't, I'll share something personal in hopes to make my view points more understandable and relatable. I can relate to having a father that wants his children to be like him and carry on his life's ambitions often times without regard to who they are as individuals. However my father's mindsets have changed over the years and when I become an adult I put my frustrations with him aside, I do find some of my father's opinions disagreeable still however I do love him. Going back to the topic at hand, in Todoroki's case he's right now only a teenager trying to find his way, so his personal journey of becoming an adult and out growing his father's shadow is in my opinion a realistic and relatable experience. ]

You're free to disagree with me if so you desire, but this is all I have to say on the subject matter. I wish you no ill and I hope you have good life sir.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group