• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Earns US$41.3 Million Overseas in 2nd Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
While live-action Ghost in the Shell has gotten a overall positive reaction in Japan, it still won't be enough to save it from being a box-office bust.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
I think the movie will break even or make a small profit when all is said and done after its theatre release and bluray sales. I enjoyed the movie but it was not as good as it could have been. I have noticed that a lof of scripts seems like first drafts. There are nuggets of gold in them but they needed to make more passes to make the script better. (The Ghostbusters remake had the same issue.)

Definitely would be interesting if this movie managed to turn a profit. It'd be even more interesting if the Chinese eat this one up in the coming weeks, as that seems to be what Paramount is banking on. (They've got to be careful though--too much success with the Chinese, and they'll be bought by them.) I wouldn't bet on it though. Just as the timing was bad here in the States, it's just as bad there in China because they've got to compete with The Fate of the Furious in that country.

If they ARE first drafts, then that'd be more of a problem with the system than the writers themselves, whether it be time pressures, low pay, demanding superiors, too many cooks in the kitchen, or something else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2