• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Resident Evil Revelations Collection

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Ehh. I feel like Revelations is - and this is one of those no-no words I try to avoid - overrated, largely benefiting from the backlash RE6 received.

I don't wanna be too mean to it, as it was basically a lower budget, relatively early 3DS effort to begin with, but like...anyone remember The Simple series? Which was a series in Japan of budget games that would borrow, if not outright rip off, other games in blander, off-brand form. This is The Simple Resident Evil.

Revelations 1 is that game where you walk through a boring cruise ship then walk through it backwards, with a few interludes (I can't believe they even make you go through the stupid flash back backwards!) Featuring the most boring enemies of the series, person shaped water blobs. It is kind of fun the one left over from the 3DS on all the ports is the obvious "look oooout it's coming aaaat you!!" projectiles they shoot.

Admittedly I need to finish Revelations 2. It's more clever than 1 overall, although about half way through the "immediately replay the place were you just at" formula started to get a bit grating - and the "revelation" at that point, a bit of Resident Evil Lore!!! catnip, just made me go "Are you kidding me???" and put it down. <_<

I mean. They're fine. They're fine. They're also on everything, on sale, all the time, and I have little doubt the Switch version here will be like that soon enough. Raid Mode can be fun. They're just not that great.
NephilimJD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Ehh. I feel like Revelations is - and this is one of those no-no words I try to avoid - overrated, largely benefiting from the backlash RE6 received.

I don't wanna be too mean to it, as it was basically a lower budget, relatively early 3DS effort to begin with, but like...anyone remember The Simple series? Which was a series in Japan of budget games that would borrow, if not outright rip off, other games in blander, off-brand form. This is The Simple Resident Evil.

Revelations 1 is that game where you walk through a boring cruise ship then walk through it backwards, with a few interludes (I can't believe they even make you go through the stupid flash back backwards!) Featuring the most boring enemies of the series, person shaped water blobs. It is kind of fun the one left over from the 3DS on all the ports is the obvious "look oooout it's coming aaaat you!!" projectiles they shoot.

Admittedly I need to finish Revelations 2. It's more clever than 1 overall, although about half way through the "immediately replay the place were you just at" formula started to get a bit grating - and the "revelation" at that point, a bit of Resident Evil Lore!!! catnip, just made me go "Are you kidding me???" and put it down. <_<

I mean. They're fine. They're fine. They're also on everything, on sale, all the time, and I have little doubt the Switch version here will be like that soon enough. Raid Mode can be fun. They're just not that great.

This is basically my entire thought of the Revelation games. "They're not 6, so they're real Resident Evil games". But I played the first one way after the initial release, so past all the 6 backlash.

As you said, they're ok games. But they're still just as action-heavy as 4/5/6 were, so I never understood the whole "they finally went back to their roots" thing a lot of people were saying about them.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Revelations 1 is fairly good. There's a few weak elements (like any levels in the city Terragrigia) but overall it's not bad especially considering it's a 3DS game originally.

Revelations 2 now, man, definitely my 2nd favorite RE game (4 still the king, and Remake is a strong third). Plays really well, has the perfect blend of action and horror, the character interaction is top notch (Claire + Moira and Barry + Natalia play off each other perfectly, and kudos to Barry's new VA as he's able to sound like the old Barry voices), it has some of the funniest moments of the series and the one time an RE game has gotten me teary (spoiler[Barry thinking Moira is dead and telling Natalia why he and Moira fell apart and that he thinks Moira died still hating him]), the partner system works perfectly (kinda wish they could remake RE 0 in this style since 0's partner system was more tedious), and it has a terrific conclusion (as long as you avoided the Bad Ending).

NephilimJD: it's less returning to the roots (7 is more like that) but doing what 4 achieved, mixing action and horror relatively equally. 5 and 6 definitely did not balance it out by any stretch of the imagination. Now 5 as a game is actually pretty solid, but 6, err, I only just played it this year, and yeah, Leon's campaign is definitely the best, Sherry's is decent, and Chris' is just Call of Duty with zombies. But regardless of the campaign, the gunplay, while not bad, wasn't as tight as 4, 5, or Revelations 2 (been a while since I played Revelations 1 but IIRC I'd say it was at least better than 6's gun handling) and the upgrade system IMHO wasn't as appealing as 4, 5, and Revelations 2. It's not a terrible game, but it does deserve a lot of the criticism it gets. Weakest of the main RE series (1-7, CV, and Revelations 1 & 2) to me, 0 is close but I'll give it the slight edge (the train level is top notch, though sadly the game starts to go downhill after that until the lab levels which are the worst, and I love both Rebecca and Billy) over 6.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1