• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Persona 5 Game Sells 2 Million Copies Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDaRogue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
PC port wen?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
RavenDaRogue wrote:
PC port wen?

It could happen but its doubtful for many reasons:

1. For much of the way console gaming is floundering, PC gaming is probably not anywhere near as big in Japan as one might think due to low level of PC ownerships, most people use a phone for pc related activities.

2. Persona hasn't ever really been ported to the pc or any other console, Atlus in general with both Persona and Shin Megami hasn't done ports other than console to hand held.

3. Whats the point, due to the graphics of being a JRPG, its not a particularly being selling point for the game, which is typically the one reason most pc gamers dont buy console games, modding being the other.

Although apparently SEGA has at least flirted with the idea, and it might happen, but I probably wouldn't expect it anytime soon.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
RavenDaRogue wrote:
PC port wen?

1. For much of the way console gaming is floundering, PC gaming is probably not anywhere near as big in Japan as one might think due to low level of PC ownerships, most people use a phone for pc related activities.

2. Persona hasn't ever really been ported to the pc or any other console, Atlus in general with both Persona and Shin Megami hasn't done ports other than console to hand held.

3. Whats the point, due to the graphics of being a JRPG, its not a particularly being selling point for the game, which is typically the one reason most pc gamers dont buy console games, modding being the other.

Although apparently SEGA has at least flirted with the idea, and it might happen, but I probably wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

1) I can't disagree with that. PC gaming is simply prioritized in Japan for range of perfectly logical reasons.

2) This however seems irrelevant as there has been an uptick in PC ports of Japanese games and so we see plenty of titles from franchises that have never been ported to PC before now seeing ports. It's still a minority but 'This franchise has never been on PC so that means it never will be.' doesn't make any reason sense.

3) The critical flaw in this theory is if you think that PC gaming only exists to sell pretty games. The most popular PC titles today (Excluding PUBG...) will basically run on a toaster. For sure one of the features of PC gaming is that you can spend $1000 on a GTX 1080 Ti and run a game at 4K Ultra but doesn't make it the core motivator for people to play PC games. There are a LOT of console ports coming to PC, many older, and they don't see huge graphical updates getting to PC. I'm -pretty- sure that when I played Final Fantasy X HD Remaster on my Steam Machine it didn't look really any better than it would have on my PS4 other than the option to run it at 4K.

Signed,
A PC gamer who bought a PS4 Pro this Black Friday literally to play Persona 5 but would still buy the game on Steam.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
RavenDaRogue wrote:
PC port wen?

And if you wonder whether it's true that desktop PC usage isn't that big in Japan, just look at the Japanese depiction of all-purpose-stereotype Futaba in the game...Hikkikomori, withdrawn, agoraphobic, worldwide-network computer hacker, and snackophile who speaks in video-game terms, they made sure not to miss one single trope.

(Although the "2 million sales" figures could have been a little of Futaba's cooking of the online statistics, hehehehe.... Cool )
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
RavenDaRogue wrote:
PC port wen?
sadly Atlus isn't known for porting their games to PC, not impossible but not very likely
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
RavenDaRogue wrote:
PC port wen?

According to the OECD the Japanese have more PCs than Americans do on average. In 2013, 72% of American homes had a PC, compared to 81.7% in Japan. Another ANN myth debunked. Although its true that UK and Germany have a vit more PC penetration than Japan overall Japan reached nearly 90% PC penetration in 2009.

https://data.oecd.org/ict/access-to-computers-from-home.htm

Although its true PC usage has been decreasing in Japan and in all other OECD countries from 87.2% in 2009 to 76.8% in 2015 thanks to smartphones and tablets. But the type of person who buys PC games usually is not the type that will stop using a PC if they acquire a smartphone.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phantom360

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
RavenDaRogue wrote:
PC port wen?
The main series persona is exclusively made for the Sony PlayStation it won't happen.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to P5 on 2 million. Persona series is the captain now. Recognize.

Stop port begging (unrelated to the subject of the article) and buy the game on the platform the creators want you to buy it on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1