Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Who's the Best Boy in The Ancient Magus' Bride?




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message



Joined: 21 Dec 2013
Posts: 897
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I feel like it's overshadowed by the show's rapidity and bombast, but I think the most important thing about Chise's contract with Ruth was the decrease in viability of suicide as an option that the terms of the contract effected for her, and what her willing acceptance of those terms therefore meant for her as a character.

As for the topic, it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that Cartaphilus is, in fact, the best boy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Subscriber



Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 21320
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Ruth is great. I loved that scene in the last episode where he is curled around Chise like a big beanbag chair as she carves her wand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 5056
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Dogs for the win this season! Ruth is best male doggo, and MVP of Magus. Hanako, the Shiba-Ino in Inuyashiki is best girl of the season, and the most loyal character in her show.

I can't support romance between Chise and Elias right now. If they both develop enough to become strong as individuals separately, and then Chise chooses of her own free will to return to Elias, then I can support that. But I want her to go to magic college first.

鏡 wrote:
I feel like it's overshadowed by the show's rapidity and bombast, but I think the most important thing about Chise's contract with Ruth was the decrease in viability of suicide as an option that the terms of the contract effected for her, and what her willing acceptance of those terms therefore meant for her as a character.

That's a really good point, and I'm glad you brought it out. I hadn't thought of it in those terms, but it's an extreme example of how being close with and feeling responsible for someone else can help reduce suicidal ideation in people.

鏡 wrote:
As for the topic, it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that Cartaphilus is, in fact, the best boy.

Against Ruth? I feel like growling and barking at that assertion!
Blood- wrote:
Yes, Ruth is great. I loved that scene in the last episode where he is curled around Chise like a big beanbag chair as she carves her wand.

That was awesome! Made me wish I had a (magic, talking) dog!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiroki not Takuya



Joined: 17 Apr 2012
Posts: 1844
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
...it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that Cartaphilus is, in fact, the best boy.
With a light heart I'll agree, first he is an actual boy (physically) and second he's adorably evil. While not one to like villains, he strikes me as having more depth given the limited dialogue. Ulysse/Ruth has relatively little depth and is a dog.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group