• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak High School - Future Arc BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
>Shoddy and drab visuals
>underwhelming OST
>despicably underdeveloped new cast that only exists as death fodder so Kodaka doesNT have to kill off the already established characters
>potentially interesting story beats that are either delivered lazily or just sort of ignored completely
>The baffling stupidity of the mastermind and everything to do with them and their plan
>a conclusion that's cheap fanservice and undermines the entire second game

I'll give you that the dub was entertaining but not because it was good. It's reached actual meme status over how ridiculous it is.

The structure was unique but it didn't really do the show any favors. Should've been a game like it was initially intended.
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
>Shoddy and drab visuals
>underwhelming OST
>despicably underdeveloped new cast that only exists as death fodder so Kodaka doesNT have to kill off the already established characters
>potentially interesting story beats that are either delivered lazily or just sort of ignored completely
>The baffling stupidity of the mastermind and everything to do with them and their plan
>a conclusion that's cheap fanservice and undermines the entire second game

I'll give you that the dub was entertaining but not because it was good. It's reached actual meme status over how ridiculous it is.

The structure was unique but it didn't really do the show any favors. Should've been a game like it was initially intended.

Just stick with the masterful writing of V3 and leave this be, it's just way more fitting overall. Dangan3 is like an experiment with visual storytelling that wouldn't work the same in a visual novel (unless you wanna go the cinematic approach of Zero Time Dilemma, that would be as far as you would get for a better experience).

spoiler[It had its share of brilliance, and its share of bullshit, especially the final episode for Future Arc and most of the Hope arc (That Tengan and Mitarai thing was just stupid and bad explained, I think even Kodaka said it could have been better develope at some point iirc)

It feels like Dangan3 was only created to cover up that huge deus ex machina in Dangan2's finale somehow (and to give a "happy ending to the whole thing, I guess), and explain how the despair was spread in the world the way it was (how would people even go insane because of a disaster, without some actual mind hacking using lights and shit, that much was pretty fine, but kept me thinking just how the heck people in Japan reacted to it given some mass incidents with light transmition causing harm like the Pikachu Shock many years ago).

Although, I may have to disagree about the characters being all underdeveloped.
Three of new main characters in this anime were quite well developed and had a very nice conclusion to their respective arcs imo (the real Chiaki, Chisa and the bastard that made everybody absolutely love him by the end of it to the point of becoming a major meme, Sakakura).

You could argue Munakata and the real Ultimate imposter were also well written, but not to these 3's degree.]

Dangan3 has its great moments, and its terrible moments.

i would stick with a 6,5/10 for the whole thing altogether.

spoiler[Extra points for the Past arc's last episodes besides the retcon about how the Ultimate were brainwashed (could have been AI Junko being a massive liar in the game as usual just to cause despair, but yeah), and the middle to almost final episode of Future arc for being a legit tearjerker.

The fanservice finale "Hope" arc was pretty lame and drags the score though (besides finally explaining the deus ex machina in 2).]
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Mira-hen, but when watching it alongside Zetsubou-hen, it was really lacking, and that shouldn't be happening. As the finale (talking about Mirai-hen) of the KG-hen, I wanted it to be so much better. It was great seeing the GHOAT (Great Hope of All Time), Makoto, and the waifu, Kyouko, again. The only thing I didn't like about Mirai-hen was the spoiler[ZZS] episode. That was a bad WTF! The highlight for Mira-hen was when Makoto said spoiler[Kibou wa... mae susumu nda] again after DR1 with the Takada theme playing.

The OP and ED themes were amazing. Maon and Trustrick were amazing.

Quote:
The intended viewing order of Danganronpa 3 is actually to watch one episode of the Future Arc, and then an episode of the Despair Arc, and so on and so forth until the entire story has been completed.

If you want to go even further, read Killer Killer and watch Mira-hen and Zetsubou-hen together in release order. That's what I did. lol
ShadowOz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 am Reply with quote
does the Hope arc final episode come in any of these two box sets?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1