• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Unmagical Girl GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
This actually sounds really interesting! I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I will give this a shot as long as it doesn't turn into NieA_7. I love Abe, but that titular character is the personification of annoying.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on this after the first couple of chapters. "the personification of annoying." Is a fair description of the (Un)magical girl.
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
It feel like something like Who Framed Roger Rabbit style storyline.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so it's just a silly parody? Was thinking this would be more Madoka-esque from the synopsis.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:25 am Reply with quote
So... wait here: she acts as she's scripted, and she hates her natural appearance so she doesn't detransform ... even though presumably as scripted she didn't do that?

Pass.

[not that you can't enjoy it, but that sort of basic storytelling sloppiness really breaks my suspension of disbelief: real characters behave... characteristically!, and this sort of thing reminds me that they're acting out the wishes of their writers. There are some other problems with the setting that aren't this thing exactly but suggest that character-motivation-consistency isn't a high priority for the writer, so... pass, for me at least]
SilentArchitect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain what an over indulgent art/plot means? It was the only thing listed in the cons section. I read that some jokes didn't land too well, but I was just kinda curious what that meant.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:53 am Reply with quote
^ I meant that the author and artist sometimes enjoy their own schtick too much - they put in gags (written and visual) that are something that they clearly find funny without realizing that the audience might be bored of the joke or not totally aware of what joke is being made. So some of the panty shots and gags about NirBrave's script are just overdone but the creators clearly don't recognize or care about that.

Sorry for the confusion!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1