• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega Reveals New Sakura Wars Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Please be on Switch...
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
This seriously made my day. ST is a great series and it also means more musicals, where seiyuus reprise their roles from the games.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
Never played the games... I'm familiar with the anime, though.

The OVAs were SO MUCH BETTER than the TV series! That TV series was interminable and just impossible for me to sit through! The TV show suffered from mediocre animation and just really strung-out, poor pacing. Did not care to finish it and it was one of the few anime I got rid and traded in for online credit when they WERE buying back used DVDs at the height of the DVD craze in the 2000s.

I have the Sakura Waras movie on DVD but I honestly haven't watched it.
Funny, though, that both the TV show (which is AWFUL) and the movie are still available, The movie itself was re-released on Blu ray not long ago.
The far better original OVA series is long out of print...
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:50 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
This seriously made my day. ST is a great series and it also means more musicals, where seiyuus reprise their roles from the games.

I expect (and actually want) a sort of reboot of the series. Age issue aside, Sumire's seyuu has left the industry since a long time, for example.

ST V had Oogami and Sakura as cameos, but I wouldn't want that either. Start clean. And design better main character than Shinjiro from V (not mentioning the screwup Gemini had going from episode 0 to V...).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Everyone’s reading this with the theme song playing in their head, right? Here’s a little reminder of how that goes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOIiw2iVmXM
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
KutovoiAnton wrote:

I expect (and actually want) a sort of reboot of the series. Age issue aside, Sumire's seyuu has left the industry since a long time, for example.

ST V had Oogami and Sakura as cameos, but I wouldn't want that either. Start clean. And design better main character than Shinjiro from V (not mentioning the screwup Gemini had going from episode 0 to V...).

I realzie that it will have a new set of characters. But Sakura Taisen 3 and Sakura Taisen 5 teams had musicals as well (with seiyuus reprising their roles), so expect new game to follow this pattern.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:

I realzie that it will have a new set of characters. But Sakura Taisen 3 and Sakura Taisen 5 teams had musicals as well (with seiyuus reprising their roles), so expect new game to follow this pattern.

I'm not so sure (though, with the advent of so many stage plays recently, who knows?). ST3 was at the peak of the franchise and while V had them,, it was already fading into "irrelevancy".
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
Hear interesting fact about Sakura Wars and myself. The original Sakura Wars on the Sega Saturn was released on September 27, 1996 the month and day is my birthday! Very Happy

I hope we get the first four Sakura Wars games for an international release in the future.

Last edited by LaytonPuzzle27 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
Honestly I wouldn't mind Sega releasing a Sakura Taisen HD collection with the first 5 games.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
Honestly I wouldn't mind Sega releasing a Sakura Taisen HD collection with the first 5 games.

I find it extremely unlikely, mostly (again) due to Sumire's VA being out of the industry for so long, which could lead to some potential licensing issues. That, and the fact that the franchise is a shadow of its former glory: unless the new game is extremely successful, it'll be mostly niche.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The 29th year of Taisho (assuming this fictional Taisho era began the same year as the real one) would be 1940. So I guess it's an alternate World War II setting?
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
There is a God! Now Sega, please bring the first four games to the west too, pretty please?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1