• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Golden Kamuy Anime's BDs/DVDs Delayed by 1 Month Each

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:26 am Reply with quote
I assume it's moslty to fix the iffy CGI though I wonder why it took this long for them to consider that improving those scenes will take longer than originally estimated.
Say what you want about the bear, the fire is infinitely more amateur.
I hope this doesn't effect its chances of getting a second season . The story and characters keep getting better and better so far.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
While this is a good story, and has good character. They really need to do something about the animation, and it's not just the CG bear and occasional CG Wolf. The fire is awful and I do not know why they didn't do one animated fire effect and then reuse it for the other camp-fires.

There are other stuff that most likely can not be fixed, but are still a problem. The backgrounds just don't look right, not so much in the mountains, but whenever they go to a village or town, there is this cheap look to them.

The colouring on the characters is iffy too, I can't put it into words, but it(and the other elements of the show) just doesn't look professional when I compare it to 2 of the other shows I'm watching, Darling in the Franxx and My hero Academia.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:23 am Reply with quote
Yyyyeah, I'll probably be waiting for the disc releases before jumping back on this one. I suppose it's a good thing there's been a lot of great titles lately so it doesn't sting as much as it could've.
Karl2

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
They have to remake episode 2 from ground up to make on par with the other episodes, because that was a really bad fall off for production compare the episodes after.

Last edited by Karl2 on Tue May 15, 2018 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Karl2 wrote:
They have to remake episode 2 from ground up to make on par with the other episodes, because that was a really bad fall off for production compare the the episodes after.

Yeah, I'm not expecting any improvements on the CGI front, but I can see them redoing the animation cuts where the characters look off-model and move awkwardly, which was the case of most of episode 2.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
It’s a shame that the animation is so ugly and inconsistent because it’s a fun show. Best case scenario is that Geno only animates one season and it gets remade by a better animation studio with more talented animators. I know that the quality of animation is dependent on time and the staff involved but I’ve never seen a production by Geno that was consistently well animated. A lot of their work seems to be outsourced.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
I just hope the CGI on the Bears and Wolf are fixed for the Blu Rays. They are literally the only thing holding this show back from being fantastic.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
It’s a shame that the animation is so ugly and inconsistent because it’s a fun show. Best case scenario is that Geno only animates one season and it gets remade by a better animation studio with more talented animators. I know that the quality of animation is dependent on time and the staff involved but I’ve never seen a production by Geno that was consistently well animated. A lot of their work seems to be outsourced.
Maybe BONES? The the Wolfs in Wolf's Rain were always hand-drawn, rather than this weird hybrid. And this seasons Hisone & Masotan team could of worked on this instead, from the great to cuts, to the amazing backgrounds that would of been great in a show with as many outdoor scenes as Golden Kamuy
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dal9dN-VQAAFSDs.jpg
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 am Reply with quote
Most native Japanese DVD/BD vol. have only 2 epi. but sometimes we get 3-4 epi. 3 4-epi. vol. being delayed vs. 6 2-epi. vol. getting delayed is perhaps less of a financial gamble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1