• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Resident Evil 7: Cloud Version Game Announced for Switch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyokun47

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:21 am Reply with quote
What a cool concept for underpowered devices! The only issue though is that it’s definitely gonna need an always-online internet connection, and for a portable console, that’s not how I want to play my games.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
I do not understand why Capcom would do this. Whatever it is, this is a really bad decision. Not everyone has a stable internet connection.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
^ Technically it's a HYBRID console. Outside of large cities, I honestly doubt very many people use these portablely out in public. Most people I know certainty don't. In their bed at best. But more importantly, this isn't really the type of game that should be played in public. It's really violent for one thing. Second, it requires focus and generally you'll want to being playing for at least an hour at a time. It's not really a game suitable for public play. If you have hour to play a game, you're probably at home or somewhere with a stable internet connection.

Personally, I've never had a good experience with a service like this. In a smaller country like Japan it might work well, though.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
This cloud service sounds worse than microtransaction in my opinion. Paying for it on a certain basis sounds more reasonable since you are paying mostly for the service to keep on rolling and not for the loot boxes that give you random items and characters. However, this is a concept that still has several years or even decades to become a common thing.

I understand that Capcom did not want to sacrifice some parts of Resident Evil 7's visuals and performance because of the Switch's underpowered hardware. Had they ported it straight, it would have looked horrible .I doubt this version will be as successful as the others. I assume that this will be Japan-exclusive for the time being so they can test the waters and see if this version is going to be profitable.

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Mon May 21, 2018 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
I smell a bunch of angry YouTubers.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
^ Technically it's a HYBRID console. Outside of large cities, I honestly doubt very many people use these portablely out in public. Most people I know certainty don't. In their bed at best. But more importantly, this isn't really the type of game that should be played in public. It's really violent for one thing. Second, it requires focus and generally you'll want to being playing for at least an hour at a time. It's not really a game suitable for public play. If you have hour to play a game, you're probably at home or somewhere with a stable internet connection.

Personally, I've never had a good experience with a service like this. In a smaller country like Japan it might work well, though.

You’d be surprised. I’ve seen quite a lot of them out in the wild. I mean, it’s hardly bigger than a $1,000 iPhone plus, which people have no qualms carrying around.

John Hayabusa wrote:
I understand that Capcom did not want to sacrifice some parts of Resident Evil 7's visuals and performance because of the Switch's underpowered hardware. Had they ported it straight, it would have looked horrible .I doubt this version will be as successful as the others. I assume that this will be Japan-exclusive for the time being so they can test the waters and see if this version is going to be profitable.

“Had they ported it straight, it would have looked horrible.”

No, I highly doubt it would have. Doom, a port of a much larger and “open” game looked and ran very respectably on the hardware and I have little doubt that RE7 wouldn’t also fare well in the transition to the platform. And even though this is neat and weird, I’d rather have a paired down competent port that I actually owned which ran on the hardware than a version of the game that, while on par with the other versions visually and performance wise, was plagued by inevitable delays and compressed video quality through streaming.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:37 am Reply with quote
We can talk about porting issues and download space all day but the obvious reason they're doing this is so nobody can actually own the game files.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
I think that's actually a nice thing, if it works well of course.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
We can talk about porting issues and download space all day but the obvious reason they're doing this is so nobody can actually own the game files.

......yeah this isn't obvious to anyone outside of jaded cynics who feel the need to second guess everything Capcom does.
anddo

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo Switch: The Port Machine
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

Wow, you are so original. Same old tripe getting sprouted.

I will never understand why people like you make ports sound like a bad thing. How is having more games available on a console a bad thing?

Better than having no games like the Xbox!
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

This ain’t even running on the machine. Better luck next time.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

Then what does that make the PS4 and Xbone, which by the way, also has this game?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Then what does that make the PS4 and Xbone, which by the way, also has this game?

......Systems that get ports at the same time as one another and also aren't innudated with ports of games that are months old/year old titles that look blatantly like they're filler titles.

CurseTheSky wrote:

Wow, you are so original. Same old tripe getting sprouted.

I will never understand why people like you make ports sound like a bad thing. How is having more games available on a console a bad thing?

Because when most of the games on your system are ports of existing titles (along with this same practice having already been done with the WiiU) it makes it look like you and whatever third party publishers that are working with you can't churn out any new worthwhile titles.

It also doesn't help when the performance of some of these ports are rather shaky.

CurseTheSky wrote:
Better than having no games like the Xbox!

You complain about his snarky response not having no originality to it yet trot out a comeback that's as redundant as when people were saying the same thing about the PS3 and the 360?

Whether these systems have no games worth playing s a purely subjective argument but it is an objective fact that most of the titles being dropped on the switch are ports a fraction of which are ports of WiiU,3DS, 360/PS3 titles pretty much everyone has already played.
anddo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Remember to never criticize Nintendo publicly. They can do no wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1