• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Re:Zero's Western Blu-rays Show Color Banding Artifacts, Companies Respond

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
(unless we count the lower quality Tenchi Universe release, but that was a 90's anime that they didn't bother to remaster so... meh).

I wouldn't count it, the R2 DVD source for Tenchi Universe is also crap so there's not much you can do to fix it unless it gets a remaster from the film negatives and Japan looks to have given up on doing that since Universe, Tokyo, Pretty Sammy/Magical Project S and Dual are getting SD Blu-ray releases this Fall, likely from the same DVD masters.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
So guys, help me understand. While I was able to see the difference in color quality (with the still images), someone in reddit mentioned that your tv can essentially fix the issue via the Tv's image enhancing feature. If so, is this really a deal breaker? I don't know if I'd noticed the difference while in motion (static images vs rolling video). In fact, I just re-watched S1 on FunimationNow and it looked just fine.

I do agree that Funimation should do better but these misses are few in between (I'm not giving them an excuse though) but do wish that they'd stop the 9/3 split on their 12 episodes releases. As someone else mentioned above, you could've a higher bitrare and potentially better picture quality with a 6/6 split.

Also, bonus question for the code Geass R2 BD (LE), I purchased it from rightstuf back in February 2017. I just popped it on the Xbone X and couldn't really hear the stereo sound (mind you, I popped R1 and I couldn't hear it either on my Yamaha 5.1 system). Do I have a faulty R2 discs? If so, Will rightstuf still replace them? It has been 18 months since I made the purchased.

Thanks for the help.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
Also, bonus question for the code Geass R2 BD (LE), I purchased it from rightstuf back in February 2017. I just popped it on the Xbone X and couldn't really hear the stereo sound (mind you, I popped R1 and I couldn't hear it either on my Yamaha 5.1 system). Do I have a faulty R2 discs? If so, Will rightstuf still replace them? It has been 18 months since I made the purchased.

Thanks for the help.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/24510-funimation-licenses-code-geass-lelouch-of-the-rebellion?p=604081#post604081

Quote:
Incase this helps anyone, here's the numbers for the old BD discs compared to the new ones:

Old: FN-07350
#1 DV-07350E - 2061521
#2 DV-07350F - 2061522
#3 DV-07350G - 2061523
#4 DV-07350H - 2061524

New: FN-07354
#1 DV-07354A - 2061529
#2 DV-07354B - 2061530
#3 DV-07354C - 2061531
#4 DV-07354D - 2061532

With the poster who tested the 3rd BD disk (thanks for that) and giving the all-clear, my guess is if you have these newer numbers you should be good to go with the audio issue.

Check the numbers on the other side of your discs. I bought the LE from Right Stuf in July 2017 and have the fixed versions myself and the only way to know is to check the other side because the disc art on the front only shows the old numbers.

If you have the faulty discs, you can try contacting them but I'm not sure Right Stuf can do anything because the LE is out of print now and FUNi's set to release a complete RE set, hopefully with the fixed R2 discs, in August.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
Oh my god. This looks horrible. I was planning to go all out with Re:Zero since its Re:Zero. But im not gonna spend my money on a shitty quality release. I was gonna put my pre-order up tomorrow for the Anime Limited release... oh well.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
Artifacts in a blu-ray release? Really? Did they record someone's dial-up stream and burn it to a blu-ray disc or something? That's unacceptable.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
ragnawind wrote:

Based on the pictures in there, though, it definitely does not seem like it is bad enough of an issue to be marked as defective. There might be a lot of quality issues, but unless you are actually looking for them, you likely wouldn't even notice or if you are using a 60+ inch TV screen from an inadequate distance.

That is 100% BS. You are paying for a bluray and you are getting streaming quality. The Japanese blurays look so much better it's not even funny. There's no defending this type of shoddy really but if Kadokawa did indeed send them poor masters, that's a dick move by them. And it's not completely unheard of either.

On the other hand, it's the US releases that cram so many episodes on a single disk. And in dark shows like Re:Zero, quality WILL be lost. The JP release has 2-3 episodes per disk at 5-7 GB per episode.
Robbl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:49 am Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
Artifacts in a blu-ray release? Really? Did they record someone's dial-up stream and burn it to a blu-ray disc or something? That's unacceptable.

Welcome to western anime bluray releases where publishers like Funi or Sentai don't care about image quality. Despite Aniplex prices, at least they do a good job with encoding.
kyokun47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
I preordered the LE back in March (you bet your sweet bippy it was for that pillow), but if Funi don’t plan on doing anything for replacements, it’s getting sent straight back to the Crunchyroll store where I ordered from. Even if it’s a reverse-import-prevention thing like some have mentioned, I still refuse to accept this sort of quality if I’m paying $60+ for a release. We call out broken/buggy video games when it happens, and it’s time we start making a much bigger fuss about this sort of issue if we have to pay the same amounts.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:46 am Reply with quote
Hope Funimation and Anime Limited is reading this, because of this banding issue, delayed response, and seemingly lack of quality control I decided not not purchase any disks from you guys.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote
professorwho wrote:
Oh my god... it's on ANN. YES.

I've been trying to spread it all over so people are aware, and now it's here. YES.

FUNimation's lack of quality control has been exposed!
Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that this concerns Anime Limited too. If it was just a Funimation issue, the UK release wouldn't have those problems. And yet it does, most likely because the Japanese side screwed them both over.

I could go on but it seems like I'm the 100th person in this thread to dunk on you, so I'll end it there.
Robbl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:03 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
professorwho wrote:
Oh my god... it's on ANN. YES.

I've been trying to spread it all over so people are aware, and now it's here. YES.

FUNimation's lack of quality control has been exposed!
Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that this concerns Anime Limited too. If it was just a Funimation issue, the UK release wouldn't have those problems. And yet it does, most likely because the Japanese side screwed them both over.

I could go on but it seems like I'm the 100th person in this thread to dunk on you, so I'll end it there.

Anime Limited uses the same discs as Funi, so...
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
Or it may be intentional policy, so they may in future say: "See? Home video releases aren't selling enough for us to offer them anymore, so we will concentrate on streaming only." Unfortunately, I see here some very disturbing kind of conspiration theory, where constant decreasing of BD and DVD releases quality will lead to lesser sales and instead of improving the quality and satisfy the customers, it will lead to permanent move to streaming only, where the big money are now. Still, I hope I am wrong.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:58 am Reply with quote
Surely nobody would buy it now? Shocked
Does quality control even exist in these two companies?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:21 am Reply with quote
Posts deleted.

Don't call anime fans weebs and don't respond to such insults.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:01 am Reply with quote
Quality is one off the reasons i buy Japanese releases when subs are available.
But im a hardcore colector that take quality as the most important part.

I really hope much more Japanese BD's releases come with English subs.
I would buy them rather than waiting for more time and with less quality western BD's releases.
I would say that so far the best quality western releases that i got are from Aniplex.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6