• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Principal English Dub Cast Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Interesting cast for the main characters, I was expecting the usual Sentai female cast; Luci Christian, Brittney Karbowski, Emily Neves, Hillary Haag and either Monica Rial or maybe even Jad Saxton.

I don't know about the accents, as a positive, it's more suiting given the setting and as English accents usually go in English dubbed Anime, this is one of the better ones. Maybe they could have gone with a Mid-Atlantic accent instead.

I suppose given that this is aimed at an American audience, they are less likely to notice any faults in the accent.

I am really happy about Beatrice, I could not stand her Japanese voice.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
That trailer looked pretty good. The accents sound decent to my ears and I’m looking forward to seeing this show again with them next week.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Anyone went right to preordering after hearing this trailer? I just did. : D
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Interesting cast for the main characters, I was expecting the usual Sentai female cast; Luci Christian, Brittney Karbowski, Emily Neves, Hillary Haag and either Monica Rial or maybe even Jad Saxton.

I don't know about the accents, as a positive, it's more suiting given the setting and as English accents usually go in English dubbed Anime, this is one of the better ones. Maybe they could have gone with a Mid-Atlantic accent instead.

I suppose given that this is aimed at an American audience, they are less likely to notice any faults in the accent.

I am really happy about Beatrice, I could not stand her Japanese voice.

I think the Japanese cast should have used British accents but I guess it didn't work out for them.

MarshalBanana, Emily Neves and Monica might not be in as many Sentai dubs as often they used since they both live in the Dallas area. Save for SourceConnect or home studio recordings, that's a 5-something hour drive from Dallas to Houston. Likewise, David Wald, Josh Grelle, and Katelyn Barr also now live in the Dallas area. This helps explain why those 5 are getting more work at Funi.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Mmm cast sounds all right better than I expected. Not sure about the accents, maybe because it's so rare in dubbing it's just unusual. I'll get used to it I suppose. Also anyone know if the Premium Bluray set is on a wide delay or just delayed from Rightstuf? Sentai still lists the September release for both.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Mmm cast sounds all right better than I expected. Not sure about the accents, maybe because it's so rare in dubbing it's just unusual. I'll get used to it I suppose. Also anyone know if the Premium Bluray set is on a wide delay or just delayed from Rightstuf? Sentai still lists the September release for both.

I got an email from Sentai saying my Premium set has been delayed to early November, so it's not just Rightstuf, I guess.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
While I would have preferred a dub with "regular American" accents, I am fine with British accents as long as it is consistent and I understand what the characters are saying.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Always nice to hear Rachael Messer in more shows
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Anyone went right to preordering after hearing this trailer? I just did. : D

It sounds great, but to be perfectly honest, my enthusiasm for this series dropped like a rock when I saw its continuation would be in the form of six mini-movies, rather than a second TV series. Since the movies won't hit Japanese theaters until 2019, then get a Blu-Ray, then a holdback -- and since there's typically no Western streaming of anime movies during this wait period -- we may not see more of PriPri in English until well into the next decade. I really don't see myself waiting around 3-4 years for the story to get resolved, so it's mentally easier to drop the franchise now.

Dear Japan: solve the movie streaming problem, now. The way things are, you are basically telling international fans to get bent (or at least to pirate everything).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
It sounds great, but to be perfectly honest, my enthusiasm for this series dropped like a rock when I saw its continuation would be in the form of six mini-movies, rather than a second TV series. Since the movies won't hit Japanese theaters until 2019, then get a Blu-Ray, then a holdback -- and since there's typically no Western streaming of anime movies during this wait period -- we may not see more of PriPri in English until well into the next decade. I really don't see myself waiting around 3-4 years for the story to get resolved, so it's mentally easier to drop the franchise now.

I must have missed that article. I was not aware.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
While I would have preferred a dub with "regular American" accents, I am fine with British accents as long as it is consistent and I understand what the characters are saying.

This is what's going to make this an interesting dub to hear, and I. too, hope it's consistent throughout. Nothing breaks an immersion than hearing their accents slip. Anime hyper
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
MarshalBanana, Emily Neves and Monica might not be in as many Sentai dubs as often they used since they both live in the Dallas area. Save for SourceConnect or home studio recordings, that's a 5-something hour drive from Dallas to Houston. Likewise, David Wald, Josh Grelle, and Katelyn Barr also now live in the Dallas area. This helps explain why those 5 are getting more work at Funi.
Coincidentally I did look up Emily after posting that, as I have not seen her in much recently, and her Twitter profile only mentioned Funimation. Monica is more well known to have moved over Dallas. I haven't heard anything about David, and he still keeps appearing in plenty of recent shows. Josh seems to have been living in Dallas for ages, I did not even know he started at Houston. Never heard of the last one.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
That trailer looked pretty good. The accents sound decent to my ears and I’m looking forward to seeing this show again with them next week.

I will admit, I did like that they were honoring the accents of the characters. But in that is also why I disagree.

They were using the Queen's English instead of other English accents like Cockney, which would've been Beatrice's and Dorathy's accents since they were born in the lower levels of society.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Coincidentally I did look up Emily after posting that, as I have not seen her in much recently, and her Twitter profile only mentioned Funimation. Monica is more well known to have moved over Dallas. I haven't heard anything about David, and he still keeps appearing in plenty of recent shows. Josh seems to have been living in Dallas for ages, I did not even know he started at Houston. Never heard of the last one.

David moved to the Dallas area back in December I think and last year's Texas hurricane was a big reason why (I was FB friends with him). About 1.5 months ago, I tweeted Katelyn about where she lives and she said "Dallas". There is also the fact that Dallas is cheaper and there are many theatre opportunities there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1