• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mary and The Witch's Flower's Studio Ponoc Works on New Feature Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Mary was not a good film but i know Yonebayashi is capable of much better. i'm sure they can bounce back and start making a name for themselves as a studio beyond being a pale reflection of Ghibli.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
Excellent news.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
rtil wrote:
Mary was not a good film but i know Yonebayashi is capable of much better. i'm sure they can bounce back and start making a name for themselves as a studio beyond being a pale reflection of Ghibli.

I'm glad somebody else said it: Like Arietty, this shows that other people can "do" Miyazaki without having to shut down Ghibli in its tracks on his retirement, but the story itself seemed to be glue-and-stapled together out of greatest hits from Kiki, Howl and Spirited Away.

If, like Arietty and Marnie, Ponoc can adapt a few more Whimsical Western Books to "Ghibli style", they'll find their style eventually and get over the rough transitional patch.
Still, I'll admit I did have more fun watching whatever Mary was than sitting through all the pretentious artistic ambition of "The Wind Rises".
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I took Mary and the Witches Flower as doing two things. A farewell homage to Studio Ghibli and putting a stake in the ground saying, "Ponoc is taking this space once belonging to Ghibli."

All the same, it wasn't a patch on When Marnie Was There.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
I took Mary and the Witches Flower as doing two things. A farewell homage to Studio Ghibli and putting a stake in the ground saying, "Ponoc is taking this space once belonging to Ghibli."

All the same, it wasn't a patch on When Marnie Was There.

When even the Studio Ponoc logo is an almost deliberate copy of Studio Ghibli's logo, only with Mary taking Totoro's place, you know the message they're trying to send. Confused

It's just, well...wouldn't some ACTUAL British Mary Norton book have had, y'know, more of a plot to fill out ninety minutes? (Not just Borrowers, Norton must have a hundred Whimsical British stories, besides the one Disney already did.)
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
I like to see another anime film from these guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1