• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Deku's Popularity Falters in My Hero Academia Popularity Poll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I will have to jump on the wagon celebrating Deku's downfall. His character consists of actually very little besides sounding overwhelmed. I also don't respect his motivation. if there is a building on fire and someone runs in because their body is simply heroic and does so, as Deku would do, I don't find that special. If someone was afraid and overcame that fear, I'd respect that more. And then the show just mercilessly beats him up as much as possible every time as if taking a beating and standing up every time is heroic.

I don't like Expldoely-Yelly-McFace much either. But sometimes he'll at least have to make a hard choice.

The only merit I think Deku had was that early in the show he had to do some work to use a bit of his power, but that goodwill has drained away as the show advanced.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
BNHA have too much interesting characters in design or personality Deku just can't be the most popular.
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
RegisterJustForComment wrote:
BNHA have too much interesting characters in design or personality Deku just can't be the most popular.

I think maybe the reason they made him somebody you just want to beat up. Like, I'd have bullied him in highschool. Sorry. Either way, I think the reason they do that is so you hate him.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
RegisterJustForComment wrote:

I think maybe the reason they made him somebody you just want to beat up. Like, I'd have bullied him in highschool. Sorry. Either way, I think the reason they do that is so you hate him.

I would disagree for a bit. The reason why Deku has this personality design is why most basic male protags in many anime/manga/light novel are because they are supposed to represent the "average" male teenager. So many shounen protags aren't that good looking because they want the people who get into it to see they are the underdogs. Most shounen jump protags are typically the same. The difference is how you use that protag and how you use the cliches in plots that are refreshing!
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:08 am Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I will have to jump on the wagon celebrating Deku's downfall. His character consists of actually very little besides sounding overwhelmed. I also don't respect his motivation. if there is a building on fire and someone runs in because their body is simply heroic and does so, as Deku would do, I don't find that special. If someone was afraid and overcame that fear, I'd respect that more. And then the show just mercilessly beats him up as much as possible every time as if taking a beating and standing up every time is heroic.

I don't like Expldoely-Yelly-McFace much either. But sometimes he'll at least have to make a hard choice.

The only merit I think Deku had was that early in the show he had to do some work to use a bit of his power, but that goodwill has drained away as the show advanced.

You haven't actually been watching or paying any sort of attention to the show have you? Because for one he actually was afraid and had to overcome that fear. He was never really fearless.

Don't celebrate something that never happened that you never understood in the first place.
MiiyoSon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I will have to jump on the wagon celebrating Deku's downfall. His character consists of actually very little besides sounding overwhelmed.

Expand on this a little more. What are you missing from Deku's character?

Quote:
I also don't respect his motivation. if there is a building on fire and someone runs in because their body is simply heroic and does so, as Deku would do, I don't find that special. If someone was afraid and overcame that fear, I'd respect that more.

He has done this damn near every time though even before he got All Might's quirk when he tried to save Bakugo from that blob monster.

-SP- wrote:
Deku is one of the worst MC's I have seen, so not surprised.

Is this a new meme? I kind of understand not liking him but saying he's the worst you've ever seen? Don't know about that one chief.
Jinbeizaki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
#889766 wrote:
Quote:
International fans could cast a vote as well as mentioned in the article so I'm really laughing at how western fans seemed to be offended by this poll.

I doubt anyone here or anywhere is actually offended by the poll. Maybe those who know nothing about or refuse to acknowledge Endeavor’s redemption arc, but otherwise it’s just a general and expected reaction from fans who are just having fun. Theres such a thing called joking or having a one-time over the top reaction. No need to be condescending about it.

Best Jeanist also isn’t popular in the Japanese fandom. I follow a lot of Japanese artists and fans on Twitter and Pixiv and barely anybody mentions Best Jeanist. Present Mic is mentioned more than him. He wasn’t anywhere close to the Top10 before this and he hasn’t appeared in the manga in the past 3 years at all. It’s possible him surpassing everyone is a one time fluke because of some weird ass timing with the anime.

Which can also be the explanation for other characters like Iida and Yaoyorozu , who haven’t had significant moments in the manga when this poll was active. But they’ve had them in the anime. I’m always shocked to see Iida hang onto the Top 10 despite never doing anything.

And Ochaco isn’t super down the list. She may be off the Top 10 but she’s only at #12, under Aizawa. She’s been established as Deku’s love interest since the beginning and still made it in the Top 10 three times. So claiming being a love interest made her boring is pretty ludicrous. She does need a significant boost in screen time, don’t get me wrong. But it isn’t like the fandom suddenly turned their back on her. That’s more what happend with Tsuyu, who’s popularity has taken a nosedive since Poll#3.

And for the record I’m a Ashido guy, so if there’s a best girl I’m not happy about getting high enough in the rankings, it’s her. Jirou somehow made it in the second poll, when’s Mina’s turn.

For having seen so much hatred on Endeavor and the fact he was in the top 10 I swear to you that this wasn't a joke on their account. You can see it here already with how Bakugo being n°1 is making people react Anime hyper.

The timing is indeed important for those polls as the anime is giving a boost to certain characters for sure although the manga has moved on onto other characters/arcs etc. Iida is a an interesting character, it's not because we don't see a lot of him in those past arcs (Overhaul arc and following) (though his fight against class B shows progress) that he is doing "nothing". Having to overcome his thirst of revenge, taking up the name Ingenium that means so much for him, overcoming his mistakes to help others not doing the same etc. For real he is an amazing character. That moment when he says Deku that he also sees him as a rival is also so good because he is not the mere "best friend dork of the main character" trope.

As for Ochaco of course her first appearances had the "love interest" all over herself. However her fight with Bakugo and her relationship with her parents had shown something more for her which could show other traits for her. However since Aoyama asked her if she had feelings about Deku, the love interest is all over the place. This is all she had so far. In the overhaul arc, spoiler[she is basically useless, barely shown at all. It was almost as if Nejire/Tsuyu/Ochaco group did not matter in this arc although it could have been amazing to see those girls more.]

The girls clearly are under represented, not well exploted so far. I hope we'd be seeing them more often because clearly they are not weak. spoiler[We see Ashido's past through Kirishima's flashbacks and it's frustrating that we can't see it through her perspectives yet. But then at least we got something.] We can only wait and see then.

The next poll would be different for sure because season 4 would be showing/completed and you can expect Overhaul and Mirio to be way higher than in this poll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3