• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection Sequel Film's 2nd Trailer Reveals More Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
what the hell is that CGI gurren? SUNRISE explain your self!
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
Slightly disappointed in the lack of pretty boys, loving the costumes, hoping this won't be a repeat of the China arc.

What's with Lloyd's OOC distress there? Those shots of him and Kallen definitely remind me of Zero Requiem...

A second Zero Requiem...? fff, if Lelouch comes back and then has to live on without Suzaku...
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Nothing spectacular in this trailer but seriously they're turning Nunnally into a caged bird again?
The girl spent like the entirety of S1 and almost all of S2 as a 'motive' for Lelouch and a pawn for most others.
Can't she like I don't know do things befitting of her standing?
Unless I'm mistaken isn't she the supposed to be the Queen of Brittania now that everyone else in the line of succession has been killed off or geassed?
Whatever I guess.
On a lighter note when did Meteora cross over into the code geass world? Laughing
jroa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
People always enjoy jumping to conclusions, naturally, but even with this trailer we don't really have a solid context for any of these scenes and the dialogue doesn't spell out what we would like to know.

Calsolum wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken isn't she the supposed to be the Queen of Brittania now that everyone else in the line of succession has been killed off or geassed?

I imagine so, but that doesn't really prevent someone from capturing her. Which isn't ideal, but as long as it's not the center of the plot, I don't have a big issue with that.

#alfrescoCR wrote:
what the hell is that CGI gurren? SUNRISE explain your self!

It doesn't bother me. In any case, some scenes are in 3DCG, but others are still 2D animation.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Just one film to wrap up C.C. story?

I dunno about that honestly...

Still wish it was a season 3 instead but whatever
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
So the mysteries of the Geass are finally going to be fully explained at last it seems. Being a movie hopefully means that it will be focused telling on the story it wants to tell and not meander and spin it's wheels as R2 had a bad habit of doing at times.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

I imagine so, but that doesn't really prevent someone from capturing her. Which isn't ideal, but as long as it's not the center of the plot, I don't have a big issue with that.

If it were a season I could believe that but since this is movie with a very limited runtime I doubt they'd put in scenes in the trailer that weren't important.
If they did then that's just a bad trailer... which I suppose could be the case.
I am treating any and all code geass related news I hear with a heavy dose of cynicism ever since I found out that the new greenlit project was an anime movie, they were compiling the seasons into(another) set of movies.
Oh and they were retconning the ending of R2 for the movie version only.
Despite being optimistic about the future none of Sunrise's decisions struck me as... intelligent.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I just realised how much I'm not rinterested and don't need a movie without Lelouch. Sure he's in everyone's thoughts, and it does show what happens in the world he left behind, but from what I'm seeing here, I don't like it. They could have left the aftermath to the fans imaginations. I can recall many fanfics that already have a better plot than this. In my mind, I don't want to recognise this as canon.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
I just realised how much I'm not rinterested and don't need a movie without Lelouch. Sure he's in everyone's thoughts, and it does show what happens in the world he left behind, but from what I'm seeing here, I don't like it. They could have left the aftermath to the fans imaginations. I can recall many fanfics that already have a better plot than this. In my mind, I don't want to recognise this as canon.

The director for these god awful movies said that all this is an alternative universe take on the story and it will be treated as a separate work and isn't canon period. Pretty much, it's what we see with Marvel & DC these days.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Lelouch was confirmed dead (at least his phys. body). How they bring up back beyond the grave and it not be some plot hole or ass-pull will be interesting.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
They could have left the aftermath to the fans imaginations. I can recall many fanfics that already have a better plot than this. In my mind, I don't want to recognise this as canon.

They actually did that in a rather convoluted way.
See the movies are actually a separate continuity and this movie is a sequel to the previous movies.
It's not even like the nasuverse where alternate/parallel worlds are a important part of the story they just threw that in there because of the way s2 ended

Kadmos1 wrote:
Lelouch was confirmed dead (at least his phys. body). How they bring up back beyond the grave and it not be some plot hole or ass-pull will be interesting.

as I mentioned above because the story is different from the main series it won't necessarily make sense from the s2 ending.
jroa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

If it were a season I could believe that but since this is movie with a very limited runtime I doubt they'd put in scenes in the trailer that weren't important.
If they did then that's just a bad trailer... which I suppose could be the case.
I am treating any and all code geass related news I hear with a heavy dose of cynicism ever since I found out that the new greenlit project was an anime movie, they were compiling the seasons into(another) set of movies.
Oh and they were retconning the ending of R2 for the movie version only.
Despite being optimistic about the future none of Sunrise's decisions struck me as... intelligent.

There are varying degrees of importance and the trailer shows us that other people are in trouble, not just Nunnally, as a result of these new developments in the current status quo. In short...that is going to be one part of the problem, but it seems relatively clear there is much more happening.

A degree of cynicism is valid, on paper, but it can easily become your own undoing as a viewer. I think it's better to be relatively cautious yet not too cynical to the point of becoming impossible to please in any realistic manner. If I was in danger of reaching that extreme, I'd simply move on.

There's nothing wrong, unintelligent or unexpected about anime movie compilations of existing TV series where the creators make a few changes along the way. In fact, that happens all the time in the Japanese anime industry. Even before the original Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy, which altered the TV series in a number of ways, several popular shows got the same treatment. See Space Battleship Yamato, among others. That said, I think the Code Geass compilation movies made less changes than some of these other films.

Which means I don't strictly agree with you about the ending being retconned. Technically, we haven't seen anything in these trailers that couldn't have happened after R2.

Calsolum wrote:

They actually did that in a rather convoluted way.
See the movies are actually a separate continuity and this movie is a sequel to the previous movies.
It's not even like the nasuverse where alternate/parallel worlds are a important part of the story they just threw that in there because of the way s2 ended

The Nasuverse has a bunch of alternate routes, true, but in practice those can be so different from each other that the big picture becomes increasingly complex.

Frankly, I think you're making this sound way more "convoluted" than it actually is. In practice, all this means is that the upcoming movie is an optional sequel. If you don't need more Code Geass in your life at all, then feel free to skip it. If you're curious about what could possibly happen next, then you're free to watch it.

I am quite calm about this for several reasons. First, because of the Japanese tradition of creating compilation movies. That is not unusual. Second, because the actual differences between the new compilations and the TV show aren't very extensive at all.

In practice, the movies don't significantly change the core of the story. It's summarized and simplified in a few areas, but more than 3/4s of the main events still happened. Which is why I'd argue the movies are meant to work both as an introduction for new fans and as a refresher course for older viewers.

More importantly, the actual conclusion of Zero Requiem remains exactly the same in the compilation movies. It's not something that wouldn't be understood by anyone who simply watched the TV series back in 2008. If I had to make a bet, I'd say that the vast majority of the Resurrection movie will make sense even without watching the compilation movies. Nothing in the trailers suggests they are leaning on anything that is specifically different.

Rika Hue wrote:

At this point in time, nobody knows if Lelouch will appear in the movie. But, frankly, I think he will. Just not at the beginning. You need to build up that reveal. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I can't really judge your reaction or attempt to change your mind in any detailed sense. Still, I believe it's pointless to compare any trailer to a completed work, whether official or fanfiction, that we can actually go and read right now. They're different by default.

Ziko577 wrote:

The director for these god awful movies said that all this is an alternative universe take on the story and it will be treated as a separate work and isn't canon period. Pretty much, it's what we see with Marvel & DC these days.

I think this is a basic misinterpretation of what was actually explained. In fact, the concept of "canon" doesn't really come up or even matter to most Japanese media productions. That's a discussion which seems to be of more interest to fans in the West than back in the East, perhaps due to the influence of Star Wars, but I've never seen the Code Geass staff speak about "canon" in any context.

Aside from that, the compilation movies are fine. Unless you're a strict purist or a big fan of the events from early R2 (since they removed most of that), I don't think much was lost in the process.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1