• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Original Eva English Cast Petition to Re-Dub Series for Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:

I'm curious where this idea that Shinji isn't supposed to sound like a whiny bitch came from.

From the Japanese version, where he's more of a fragile wallflower type who barely speaks above a whisper. He's supposed to be weak, yes, but not "whiny". Spencer makes him sound whiny. Ogata makes him sound repressed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xchampion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the original dub, but I have seen the first 2 rebuild dubs and liked them enough. They will probably bring back some of the cast if they do a LA dub like most of the Netflix anime shows. You know since some of the cast still live in LA, but they wont bring everyone back that's for sure. It will be like what Netflix did for the live action bleach dub.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
If VSI Group is truly behind the Eva re-dub then I don't have a ton of confidence in this dub from the start. The studio is far to green to be tackling such a behemoth title like Eva. I'm expecting the most basic and run of the mill casting for this re-dub. Bang Zoom probably would of been the most ideal dubbing studio for this project but honestly the whole concept of a Eva re-dub will always be unnecessary to me considering a finely crafted Eva dub already exists.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm pretty neutral to the news. I've only seen Evangelion in Japanese. It wasn't until I heard that Netflix got Eva I planned to rewatch the series through the ADV dub. But if we get a redub instead, I'll just watch that.

Opting for a redub with the Rebuild cast does sound like the best compromise, and would finally give the franchise a consistent English dub cast throughout. But from the sounds of things, I'm thinking we're looking at a redub with a brand new cast.

In any case, interested in seeing how this plays out.
xeroth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I just want to know if this increases or decreases the chances of a Blu Ray release outside Japan... Netflix sometimes prevents them : /
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
I'm curious where this idea that Shinji isn't supposed to sound like a whiny bitch came from.

I think Shinji's cowardice is overstated in the internet memosphere. The popular mantra of "Get in the robot Shinji" makes no sense if you've ever actually seen the show given Shinji does get in the robot with little prodding.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
I just hope they get a completely different cast but not in the realm of AICO or some sh*t.

Putting aside the high profile of this title, given that they went back and had AICO dubbed a second time, I doubt they would make such a mistake again.
db999

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I find that the ADV dub has aged pretty badly for the most part, so a redub would be great as long as they include the original dub as an option. As for whether or not to bring back the original cast the Rebuild films have proven to me that if the original cast came back they would do a great job. However, in my opinion, if they're going to redub it anyway they might as well just recast the entire thing.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
Wow I was not expecting so much negativity, but then again dub haters are a loud bunch and apparently experts in what constitutes as "acting" (color me surprised).

In any case, my two cents:

1) I would be down for a redub of the original Eva with the old cast. I think the original dub is fine, but seeing some of these actors return to the role would be wonderful. If anyone else is excited, don't let these people bring you down.

2) Someone mentioned Gundam Seed. That redub is being done due to the remaster which has enough new scenes to warrant a redub and they got new people to play the roles anyway.

3) The original Berserk dub is fantastic.

I agree with the sentiments of this 100% but anime fandom has NEVER been particularly rational...
I know I've been around anime fandom for 25 years and the same bad behavior I HATED 25 years ago is still around. It's part of why I didn't go back to cons for a LONG time.
Now, what I've seen on ANN from time to time is HEN-PECKING. I've actually read death threats against people in the dub industry on UseNet and other older social media sites.

The sense of entitlement and belief people who have NEVER acted in a play or radio drama have that they know what constitutes "better acting" is a funny thing to me. Especially when the same people aren't fluent in Japanese, either, and somehow think the subtleties in language are the same between English and Japanese! The subtleties aren't evne th esame between American and British English!

I think it's stupid to waste the money on a new dub when the ADV dub exists. It's a very few vocal people who really hate it. I've never felt the dub haters constitute majority of fandom. The fanatics/sub-only crowd have always been the vocal minority but they don't constitute enough sales to keep the sub-only companies like NISA in business.

And they have put out bootleg Blu rays already with the ADV dub on them which represents money that's already been lost by the Eva rights holders SO if they want to waste more money, that's their prerogative, too!

The original TV series should been released in the West in hi-def at least 2 years ago...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I personally think Eva TV's dub was fine for the era that it was dubbed in. It was mostly the side characters and the NERV employees that had the poorer VA casting but the main cast sounded fine for me. The big issue with the original dub to me was End of Eva where they made a lot of unnecessary dialog changes that made some major plot changes in the dub that don't accurately reflect Anno's vision. At the same time, I feel like End of Eva probably had the strongest performances of the main cast, especially the Kom Susser Tod scene. I'm of two minds with the idea of a redub. I think the dub is an important part of anime history that should be preserved. At the same time, it is a product of the era it was made and I think it should be recongized the old dub had a lot of issue that would make it a hard sell in introducing a new generation of anime fans to Eva. Whatever decision Netflix ends up making, I think we should respect the new cast even if you don't like them and remember it wasn't their fault that they decided to redub it and any new cast should be given a fair shot and judged by their merits.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
xeroth wrote:
I just want to know if this increases or decreases the chances of a Blu Ray release outside Japan... Netflix sometimes prevents them : /

No, they delay them generally for at least 2 years.

It's been 5 years at least since LIttle Witch Academia was released as an OVA and it was dubbed for Netflix at least 3 years ago.

We're STILL waiting for an official Western release of that title and news they might be releasing the TV series in the West, too.

People have gone and imported all these Academia series. I personally don't think it's worth it but it's an option for people who don't want to wait.
I think we'll hear an announcement on that in the next year but it's more likely the TV series will get released and the original OVAs passed on.

It stinks but it's an example of how exclusivity deals effect home video releases.
They really shouldn't be allowing more than one year exclusivity, IMHO. 6 months or less would be better but we'd still be dealing with the 3-6 month gap Japan wants before the American home video releases because of the reverse importation concerns. That aspect does affect video sales in Japan.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
Wow I was not expecting so much negativity, but then again dub haters are a loud bunch and apparently experts in what constitutes as "acting" (color me surprised).

Yeah, only the people in this forum can genuinely annoy me over the matter of the dub cast of an anime that I don't even give a crap about.

Like, never mind for a minute whether or not this petition will work, it's the year 2018 and it's bizarre, baffling how... utterly fossilized the mentality is towards this sort of thing. Despite the number of anime dubs to have come out since... whenever the EVA TV series dub came out, despite the number of voice actors, voice directors and script writers still doing work in the industry and having plenty of time to improve their craft (yes, I think people in the dubbing industry are capable of improving and generally have, f**k off, don't at me), despite the industry itself having come a long way from the days of being fascinated by anime but not getting in detail how the medium works, there's this asinine notion that once a bad dub exists, everyone associated with it are never capable of improving! Jesus, how fatalistic can people possibly get?!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The sense of entitlement and belief people who have NEVER acted in a play or radio drama have that they know what constitutes "better acting" is a funny thing to me.

This is spurious reasoning. A person doesn't need to be a chef to know something tastes bad, nor a surgeon to complain about a botched surgery. One needn't be an expert in a field to discern a lack of quality in the product. This comes very close to the "let's see YOU do better" fallacy, if not crossing right over into it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cat's Tuxedo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Plus Megumi Ogata is a very, VERY special case. I mean, yikes, only Mitsuki Saiga can match her in the contralto department

There's more than enough contraltos in English voice acting if anyone bothered to look. Besides, Shinji's voice isn't even that deep to begin with. Plenty of actresses who can do boy voices already could pull it off. Mona Marshall, Brianne Sidall or Cathy Weseluck, for instance.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
CornBreadMan264 wrote:
Well... I hope the Home Video release comes with both the new Netflix Dub and the ADV Dub.

This. I would love a deluxe blu-ray release and the ability to switch between the two as a worst case scenario--although nostalgia is powerful, I'd love to see a new crew take a crack at it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7