• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bunshun Magazine: Fate Studio ufotable Under Investigation for Alleged Tax Evasion

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:58 am Reply with quote
The Heaven's Budget suddenly made a lot more sense by now.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:38 am Reply with quote
Has an anime studio ever been brought down by being caught at tax evasion? I know Gainax got hit by such a scandal and survived it but that was during their peak with Evangelion. Ufotable might not be so lucky.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:44 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...time to go buy Fate releases before the hammer falls.
HK16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:54 am Reply with quote
I already went through sadness with Log Horizon's creator, I don't need more sadness. Just pay your taxes please. That's all I ask.
Dragon_Kaiser

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:01 am Reply with quote
Well RIP ufotable
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:21 am Reply with quote
If the arrangement is done right, it could be tax avoision rather than evasion. As a business and salaried employee in a high tax country (moderately high corporate tax, very high income tax) I'd do everything I can to avoid taxes too.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:19 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Has an anime studio ever been brought down by being caught at tax evasion? I know Gainax got hit by such a scandal and survived it but that was during their peak with Evangelion. Ufotable might not be so lucky.

Not that I can think of though Index Corp. (ex-owners of Atlus and Madhouse) got brought down for cooking the books. Luckily neither company were directly involved and SEGA/Nippon TV stepped in and took over.
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:54 am Reply with quote
Unlimited budget works(Fake) or Protection From Taxes E-

Well I hope this doesn't affect heavens fund... I mean!...Feel...
Bruce91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:08 am Reply with quote
I would remove the "fate" at the title.

Ufotable is not a fate only studio.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:28 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
The Heaven's Budget suddenly made a lot more sense by now.
If you read the article, it’s says the founder was taking merchandise revenue directly. It doesn’t really seem to have any correlation to the budget of UFOtable productions. As a side-note, it’s been pretty thoroughly reported on about how budget doesn’t equate to quality of animation. The quality of the Fate films has more to do with the talent involved and careful planning to ensure they have enough time. UFOtable also does a lot of the post-production work in-house which contributes to its overall look. If your comment was just a joke, disregard everything I’ve said.
Takeshi13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
Damn, please i hope it doesn't affect Kimetsu no yaiba. I think this is the first time a jump series have been by Ufotable and I am looking forward to it
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:16 pm Reply with quote
bruce1991 wrote:
I would remove the "fate" at the title.

Ufotable is not a fate only studio.

Well it's the only thing fans really know them for, besides Garden of Sinners.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Not that I can think of though Index Corp. (ex-owners of Atlus and Madhouse) got brought down for cooking the books. Luckily neither company were directly involved and SEGA/Nippon TV stepped in and took over.

The first one that came to mind for me is ARTMIC. Kenichi Sonoda (Gunsmith Cats) talked about it at Sakura Con where he said:
Quote:
As far as ARTMIC is concerned, right before I left, the president had started buying into a real estate deal that didn't pan out very well. I only found this out later, but he kinda disappeared because of some issues happening with the real estate. So, I guess I really did leave at the right time! The ARTMIC president actually ran away in a very bad way, in that he was illicitly selling off company assets, including some of my original production artwork. With all of these happenings, when he ran away some of the things he needed to pay for were shifted to [animation studio] AIC, so they ended up being held responsible. With ARTMIC basically collapsing and no longer having copyright, trademarks, etc., AIC came in and took over. [Note: AIC was the animation production studio for Bubblegum Crisis 2040]

Then, when we were about to do the Bubblegum Crisis 2040 television anime, the president who had disappeared came to AIC with a bunch of yakuza and demanded some money, because as far as he was concerned, they were using his company's work. Under Japanese law, you're not supposed to discuss which Yakuza family you're from, but this yakuza mentioned this, and was caught. The president, once again, simply ran away. Since then, the president is nowhere to be found, and I have no idea what he's doing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1