• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Little-Known Monkey Punch Manga From 1975 Reveals Lupin III, Fujiko's Son

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
It's funny after his passing only now you'd know that there was a case where Lupin got Fujiko. I guess it finally happened. They'd go on to produce another super genius thief.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The image in the article says Lupin III Jr., though it should be Lupin IV. Speaking of which, considering that Lupin III is the descendant of Arsene Lupin, a character from the early 20th century, and the latest show takes place in the present, I think it would make more sense if Lupin was the IV or V. By the way, since I'm not very familiar with Lupin III (I've only seen Cagliostro), is Lupin's father ever mentioned? Is he called Lupin II or Lupin Jr.?
This also reminds me of that failed TV pilot, Lupin VIII, that would have taken place in the future.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
The image in the article says Lupin III Jr., though it should be Lupin IV. Speaking of which, considering that Lupin III is the descendant of Arsene Lupin, a character from the early 20th century, and the latest show takes place in the present, I think it would make more sense if Lupin was the IV or V. By the way, since I'm not very familiar with Lupin III (I've only seen Cagliostro), is Lupin's father ever mentioned? Is he called Lupin II or Lupin Jr.?
This also reminds me of that failed TV pilot, Lupin VIII, that would have taken place in the future.

Lupin's dad is shown fully in a green jacket episode where he was called Lupin II not Jr.

Also it's not out of the question for someone active in the early 20th century to have grandchildren in their 30s/40s today, though it is unlikely. 10th president of the US John Tyler still has two grandchildren alive today and he was born in 1790.
moff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:25 am Reply with quote
Why is the text on the cover in Italian? Is the series set in Italy?

BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:

Lupin's dad is shown fully in a green jacket episode where he was called Lupin II not Jr.

This episode wouldn't have happened to been the one that featured Goemon's 2nd appearance where he officially joins?

Silver Kirin wrote:
The image in the article says Lupin III Jr., though it should be Lupin IV. Speaking of which, considering that Lupin III is the descendant of Arsene Lupin, a character from the early 20th century, and the latest show takes place in the present, I think it would make more sense if Lupin was the IV or V.

Yeah but Lupin works in same way as Spider-Man does where eventhough the character is from the 1960's in comic book time Peter is in his late 20's early 30's.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:

This episode wouldn't have happened to been the one that featured Goemon's 2nd appearance where he officially joins?

Silver Kirin wrote:
The image in the article says Lupin III Jr., though it should be Lupin IV. Speaking of which, considering that Lupin III is the descendant of Arsene Lupin, a character from the early 20th century, and the latest show takes place in the present, I think it would make more sense if Lupin was the IV or V.

Yeah but Lupin works in same way as Spider-Man does where eventhough the character is from the 1960's in comic book time Peter is in his late 20's early 30's.

What you mentioned is what's known as a floating timeline or in comic book terminology, comic book time. Lupin basically is that but the weird thing is that Part V has social media, cryptocurrency, etc. that came about within the last decade but it's still the 70's!? Then again Spidey had his own tech company and all that at one point before the reboot happened recently and that's odd too.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:

What you mentioned is what's known as a floating timeline or in comic book terminology, comic book time.

Yeah exactly wasn't exactly sure on what the proper terminology was.

Lupin basically is that but the weird thing is that Part V has social media, cryptocurrency, etc. that came about within the last decade but it's still the 70's!? Then again Spidey had his own tech company and all that at one point before the reboot happened recently and that's odd too.[/quote]

That wasn't a reboot that was Marvel simply deciding to do what they've been doing the last 4 years which is undo a lot of positive changes to characters for weird random reasons like Galactus going back to being the devourer worlds after stint as the Lifebringer or Doom putting his tired grudge with Reed Richards to bed and becoming an anti-hero along with having his face fixed now he's back to being a villian that still wants to mess with Reed and who also got his face scarred (again).
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Somer-_- wrote:

Yeah that's the one. Episode 7.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1