• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2019 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The schedule: https://myanimelist.net/anime/season
The season is quite busy so let´s quickly plow through. This may also be the last time I complain about Netflix as an anime distributor if at least another entry besides Ultraman works out.

7 Seeds is delayed to June. This is a Gonzo production (how the hell does the studio stay afloat?) with a bunch of no-names attached and the manga is 35 volumes long. Meaning that the show´s quality, it´s pacing and it´s length are all in doubt. The source material is stellar of course but is somewhat changing to adapt and you can´t just cut a bunch of stuff with a cast as large as this. The anime is thus a huge question mark.

Carole & Tuesday The premise is both convoluted and generic. Neither Netflix nor Bones are signs of surefire quality on top but Mr. Bebop is. I´ll keep my horses in check but this has a good chance of turning out great and it´s most of all a promising original anime. How rare are those these days?

Kidou Senshi Gundam - The Origin - Zenya Akai Suisei The 5 part OVA was cut into 13 slices to fill a 1 cour run, meaning that I have no reason to watch this. The shows itself is pretty good of course but you need to have at least seen the film trilogy re-cut of Gundam 1978/79 to follow along. 8,5/10

Kono Oto Tomare! is a fairly solid music manga that isn´t another goddam K-On clone. It´s also one of the better Jump (SQ) properties. I won´t stick around but this is fine enough.

One Punch Man S2 The animation quality is clearly a lost cause due to J.C.Staff but this is when the manga actually got good, as it started to develop the sprawling cast that was introduced in the 3rd act of S01. The quality of the story itself will again drop once this enters cour 2, as the manga sadly switched over from slice of life to a random tournament and then another earth invasion without proper stakes, but I at least cared about some of the now developed cast at that point.

Shingeki no Kyojin S3.2 The lines are drawn by now but the manga only improved in quality to me as it went on, aside of the Shounen-battle-y Female Titan arc. You know, the one casual anime fans liked best? This should be the best season yet, till the next one that is. That one will be legit controversial.

Ultraman shows that GitS SAC S03 is in good hands and Kamiyama is clearly back to his usual form after a one-out with Cyborg 009. IG technically adapted 7,5 volumes in 13 eps. but the story underwent occasionally major changes and streamlining, the revamped female lead is now a real character for example, so pacing isn´t a major issue. This is actually an improvement on the solid source manga and most of the CG work is fairly impressive for a TV budget. Extensive mo-cap was used and is clearly noticeable in the very fluid DMC style action scenes. Sign me up for S02 of this Christopher Nolan/Zack Snyder style gritty re-quel of a 60s childrens show (!?!). This ain´t a complete joke btw. as the next manga arc has a 9/11-ish alien attack on NY. 8/10

There are a LOT of movies of interest, for once, and Golden Kamuy just got another OVA.
Cencoroll 2 The decade-old short film is getting another 25 min. long sequel. The anime industry is wild you all. DBS Broly is coming to Blu-ray and is the first straight out good GB film aside of Path to Power. The film clearly lacks 20 minutes of content and the structure is wack but action and animation fans will still have a good time. Easily the first signs that DBS isn’t a total write-off. I haven´t really liked anything the formerly worthwhile director or his new studio produced recently but i´ll give Kimi to, Nami ni Noretara a chance. The same goes for Trigger´s Promare.
Lupin the IIIrd: Mine Fujiko no Uso speaks for itself. None of the 70s Lupin universe offerings truly work on a script level but the rarely seen pulp style still carried them all.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
The YU-NO preview page link is broken.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
The YU-NO preview page link is broken.

I am glad I am not the only one
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At least its ambitious names suggests that it might be striving for a little more, as it is undoubtedly a reference to the award-winning 1968 Harlen Ellison short story “The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World,” which was also essentially about cross-time/cross-dimensional funny business.

The original VN apparently came out in December 1996, so I suspect it was inspired by the title of the final episode of Evangelion, which had aired nine months before.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
AFAIK, yuno is what inspired fate stay night, clannad, when they cry, etc... So I will watch it even if just for historical reasons (like I watched to heart).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... spring shows I'm interested in due to the creative team:
Carol and Tuesday
Sarazanmai
RobiHachi

Spring shows that are based on manga on my shelves:
Attack on Titan
Fruits Basket
Gundam: Origin

Nothing else is really jumping out to me, but this seems like a decent start.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
The Yu-No premiere was just a prologue. Almost nothing happens other than introductions. That said, it would be easier to digest if the visual production wasn't so underwhelming. Which is going to be an issue for many people, I'd imagine.

You can tell the roots of this story are from a galge/eroge made literally decades ago, which is a clear framework that never quite disappears, but the VN does go places in ways both interesting and creepy.

It's the definition of something that has legit critical value yet also remains very problematic. Mind you, that's about the game. The anime might not necessarily reflect that.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At least its ambitious names suggests that it might be striving for a little more, as it is undoubtedly a reference to the award-winning 1968 Harlen Ellison short story “The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World,” which was also essentially about cross-time/cross-dimensional funny business.

Wow, thanks for this note. I honestly didn't know about this story before, and this is interesting because one of my favorite series, which is about multiverse/alternate world stuff, used the phrase "Heart of the World" a lot in a recent entry ("Sekai no Chuushin", which is what's used in the Evangelion episode title that references it, according to Wikipedia).

So that's good to know.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:12 am Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
The Yu-No premiere was just a prologue. Almost nothing happens other than introductions. That said, it would be easier to digest if the visual production wasn't so underwhelming. Which is going to be an issue for many people, I'd imagine.

You can tell the roots of this story are from a galge/eroge made literally decades ago, which is a clear framework that never quite disappears, but the VN does go places in ways both interesting and creepy.

It's the definition of something that has legit critical value yet also remains very problematic. Mind you, that's about the game. The anime might not necessarily reflect that.

I looked up Yu-No after Funi announced it since I never heard of it until then, so finding out it's based on an H game has me taking a wait and see approach to see what it does with that. Theron answered my question of why a VN from the mid-90s would be seeing a TV anime now, and the fact that there are Playstation versions at least suggests it'll be adapting that version. Like Theron said, that is probably a non-hentai version since even though Sony has, until recently, been lenient on fanservicey things, they didn't normally allow outright hentai.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:05 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Quote:

The original VN apparently came out in December 1996, so I suspect it was inspired by the title of the final episode of Evangelion, which had aired nine months before.

You do know that multiple people can be influenced by the same work at around the same time, right? Hideaki Anno's naming of Eva's last episode was a blatant reference to Ellison's story, right down to the word "I" being pronounced the same way as "Ai/Love" in Japanese. Also, you're then assuming that Yu-No went through (more or less) its entire original development without a finished title until Eva finished airing, which is just ridiculous.

Finally, responding with, essentially, "Nah, it's just an Eva reference," is silly, because a lot of what people tend to associate with Eva were in fact Anno referencing other works, like Ideon & Ultraman, because Anno is a massive otaku who loves paying homage to his favorite titles. Sorry, but I'm siding with Theron on the title being a Harlan Ellison reference, especially since Yu-No at least has some similar concepts as Ellison's short story.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
Well, even though they did spend half the premier getting newcomers up to speed and reminding fans where they left off, I'm still delighted to have Ace of Diamond kick off the new season. Very Happy So good to hear the old theme songs again. The manga still isn't finished, so I wonder if they'll work in two parts like the first two series did, with 52 episodes getting a greenlit expansion into another 52? Or if they'll rush to cram everything into what's on the table now. (It's hard to figure out how to talk about this, since Act II is Season 3)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... If I'm not misaken Yu-No was also an old Eroge for PC In 1996 and got a Sega Saturn Port "Voiced" A year later. I've been out of the loop for awhile so I didn't know that there was remake of Yu-No for Ps4/Vita/Switch, Let alone an anime adaption.

That aside Spring looks kinda lack-luster to me but again I've been out the anime loop for awhile "aside from a few hit shows everyone talks about Twitter." So I was wondering what shows ya'll recommend I should keep an eye out for/watch this season?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
So I was wondering what shows ya'll recommend I should keep an eye out for/watch this season?

That depends really heavily on individual tastes.

For instance, a lot of people would say "Sarazanmai" without hesitation because of its director, though I think that director's style of doing things is very much an acquired taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
YU-NO is very well regarded for its story elements later on, which were considered to be quite insightful, especially for its time...although I know this because it was spoiled for me unfortunately, I haven't played the original game.

I don't think it helps that the style change makes it look so bland, and this early segment at least is as straightforward as it is. I'm wondering if this production may end up making what its known for look dated, even when it gets that far.

So I suppose it remains to be seen if this results in newfound appreciation or ruins its reputation.
_Archer_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
AFAIK, yuno is what inspired fate stay night, clannad, when they cry, etc... So I will watch it even if just for historical reasons (like I watched to heart).

This would be correct. YU-NO is widely regarded as one of the greatest and most influential visual novels ever made, with the original being in the top 10 highest rated VNs on the Japanese equivalent of VNDB. Clannad and Steins;Gate especially draw gameplay or plot elements from YU-NO and pretty obviously copy them into their stories in some way, shape, or form.

While Lynzee's criticism stings to me as a huge fan of the original, she does bring up fair points about how what was influential then comes across as dated now and I'm glad she acknowledged the original VNs fame. Watching the anime, assuming the adaptation holds up, for historical reasons and looking to see how other derivative works copied it is certainly something to look forward too if you're familiar with say, Steins;Gate, but not YU-NO. I played YU-NO before Steins;Gate, so by the time I finished S;G I was really surprised at how similar they were at times and how their time travel implementations were both similar and different.

The more difficult thing to predict with YU-NO is how they'll adapt the stories overwhelming branching plot. While it's easy for them to just start with the Step-mom's (Ayumi) route and go from there in the beginning (that's what I'd do personally), how they proceed after that when the game is about flexibly moving through different points in time to complete the other routes will be interesting to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15